Picked Up Is He A Hero? 「Yup」

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by Ophious, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Is He A Hero? 「Yup」
    Raw Link:
    https://kakuyomu.jp/works/1177354054881608951
    NU Link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/is-he-a-hero-「yup」/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: I read the description and it seemed hilarious so I wanted to see what the actual stort was like.
    Description:
    (description translated by @starryvers )

A person from modern times gets reincarnated into another world and tries much more than necessary to go on adventures and become a hero. A fantasy comedy of a self-proclaimed hero.

The 10 Commandments of Heroes (Caution: There is no guarantee these will be reflected in the original work.)

{1. A name with four characters.} The hero’s name must be friendly, easy to say, and consist of no more than 4 characters in hiragana (or katakana). It is absurd to put a cross symbol in the beginning and end, taking up 2 characters.

{2. Must work hard at training.} Those worthy of being heroes must not only battle demons, but must also achieve a state of complete trance, turning into a living vending machine for the sake of reskilling: earnestly grilling tortillas, going fishing throughout the day, sitting in town selling items. Even disciplined monks will avoid this way of living.

{3. Must have a generous heart to help people.} A hero must be of assistance to all sorts of people. Must be a top-notch gofer that can easily handle errands like delivering items, fetching things, and hunting 10 specific demons. And a surprisingly cold heart is required for a wild mercenary to ask for rewards even when the other party is sometimes children.

{4. Frank replies.} Replies must be brief: “Yes” or “No”, and monotone so that a wide range of players can import their own emotions into them. Don’t be afraid of being thought of as difficult to read; on the contrary, it is important that the ones who see you feel like you could turn out to be anything. Especially in works where you cannot make detailed characters.

{5. Investigate carefully.} A hero does not miss even the smallest thing. Throwing away pots and barrels and breaking them just because of the possibility that there might be coins or medicinal plants inside, fishing throughout drawers is all a regular tea party. Even garbage scavengers and thieves are astounded at such greed. Sometimes, a hero even throws himself into water wells.

{6. A hero’s fight instinct surpasses a lion’s.} A lion will use all its strength even if it’s hunting a rabbit. A hero hunts out even weak demons for his own self-interest. If the enemy has been completely annihilated, a hero must have enough fight instinct to curse, “Tsk, the spawn rate’s shit now, huh?” Not even a serial killer would go this far.

{7. Always go on foot, no matter the circumstances.} A real hero has a heart strong enough to behave like normal even if he has 1 strength left over. It’s a piece of cake to run across a poisonous swampland while recovering your HP. The pain of being eaten into by deadly poison is no different from being bit by a mosquito. An ordinary person would go insane.

{8. Always lead.} Even if a hero obtains a carriage, he must be ready to prepare for a battle on foot so as to surround the carriage from the outside with the other party members. So he won’t be told, “Ah, this event… Is he really necessary for it? He’s weak, bringing him along is a pain…” while he’s in the carriage.

{9. Be flexible.} It is a great man who goes to rescue the villagers immediately if they’ve been kidnapped by demons. Even if that happens, a hero, however, must be flexible enough to get his tools ready at the store and peacefully stay at inns to sleep. And then, not being satisfied with just rescuing the villagers, a hero thoroughly searches the dungeon’s treasure and carries it back home. If possible, without forgetting the mapping.

{10. Being a hero is just why your original intention is vital.} The beginning is essential, heroes who shirk this cannot be called heroes. It’s absurd to have the same steel equipment as that of the average soldier in your early days! First, a hero must graduate from crude equipment like a stick, and then slowly replace it with stronger equipment, until he becomes able to use legendary weapons. What? You’ve had a legendary sword right from the start? That’s an event item you can only use in certain conditions. So you say you’re strong because you can even use it normally? Is it really that fun to play with mods?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Deleted member 125960

Deleted member 125960 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  4. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
  5. LWolf

LWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Devil of Boredom

Devil of Boredom Exists.

Reading List:
    Link
    + 1
    Sounds amazing
    :blobhero::blobhero:
    We need that
    :blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

7. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like fun

8. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    Sounds funny xD

9. starryvers

starryvers Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been searching for a novel to translate so I can start my own translations site for soo long, this sounds so fun I'd love to take it up :blobmelt:
    Here's the synopsis I translated:

A person from modern times gets reincarnated into another world and tries much more than necessary to go on adventures and become a hero. A fantasy comedy of a self-proclaimed hero.

The 10 Commandments of Heroes (Caution: There is no guarantee these will be reflected in the original work.)

{1. A name with four characters.} The hero’s name must be friendly, easy to say, and consist of no more than 4 characters in hiragana (or katakana). It is absurd to put a cross symbol in the beginning and end, taking up 2 characters.

{2. Must work hard at training.} Those worthy of being heroes must not only battle demons, but must also achieve a state of complete trance, turning into a living vending machine for the sake of reskilling: earnestly grilling tortillas, going fishing throughout the day, sitting in town selling items. Even disciplined monks will avoid this way of living.

{3. Must have a generous heart to help people.} A hero must be of assistance to all sorts of people. Must be a top-notch gofer that can easily handle errands like delivering items, fetching things, and hunting 10 specific demons. And a surprisingly cold heart is required for a wild mercenary to ask for rewards even when the other party is sometimes children.

{4. Frank replies.} Replies must be brief: “Yes” or “No”, and monotone so that a wide range of players can import their own emotions into them. Don’t be afraid of being thought of as difficult to read; on the contrary, it is important that the ones who see you feel like you could turn out to be anything. Especially in works where you cannot make detailed characters.

{5. Investigate carefully.} A hero does not miss even the smallest thing. Throwing away pots and barrels and breaking them just because of the possibility that there might be coins or medicinal plants inside, fishing throughout drawers is all a regular tea party. Even garbage scavengers and thieves are astounded at such greed. Sometimes, a hero even throws himself into water wells.

{6. A hero’s fight instinct surpasses a lion’s.} A lion will use all its strength even if it’s hunting a rabbit. A hero hunts out even weak demons for his own self-interest. If the enemy has been completely annihilated, a hero must have enough fight instinct to curse, “Tsk, the spawn rate’s shit now, huh?” Not even a serial killer would go this far.

{7. Always go on foot, no matter the circumstances.} A real hero has a heart strong enough to behave like normal even if he has 1 strength left over. It’s a piece of cake to run across a poisonous swampland while recovering your HP. The pain of being eaten into by deadly poison is no different from being bit by a mosquito. An ordinary person would go insane.

{8. Always lead.} Even if a hero obtains a carriage, he must be ready to prepare for a battle on foot so as to surround the carriage from the outside with the other party members. So he won’t be told, “Ah, this event… It's necessary, huh… Weak but getting it sucks…” while he’s in the carriage.

{9. Be flexible.} It is a great man who goes to rescue the villagers immediately if they’ve been kidnapped by demons. Even if that happens, a hero, however, must be flexible enough to get his tools ready at the store and peacefully stay at inns to sleep. And then, not being satisfied with just rescuing the villagers, a hero thoroughly searches the dungeon’s treasure and carries it back home. If possible, without forgetting the mapping.

{10. Being a hero is just why your original intention is vital.} The beginning is essential, heroes who shirk this cannot be called heroes. It’s absurd to have the same steel equipment as that of the average soldier in your early days! First, a hero must graduate from crude equipment like a stick, and then slowly replace it with stronger equipment, until he becomes able to use legendary weapons. What? You’ve had a legendary sword right from the start? That’s an event item you can only use in certain conditions. So you say you’re strong because you can even use it normally? Is it really that fun to play with mods?​

Going to spend the next few days translating the first few chapters and setting up my site :blobxd:

Anon2.0, Ophious, Blitz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ophious

Reading List:
    Link
    I look forward to it! Thanks for the better translated description

11. starryvers

starryvers Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the author has posted a warning about translated versions of their story -- they stated that they don't mind translations, but they wish to be informed beforehand. I've contacted them on both Syosetu and Kakuyomu for permission now. They seemed really easygoing, said translating was fine as long as you tell them first so hopefully they'll be alright with this! Just gotta make sure before posting any translation of this -- I saw them mention they were thinking about reporting translations done without informing them

12. starryvers

starryvers Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Update: Got the author's permission! Gonna finish setting up my blog today and post the first chapter tomorrow :blobpeek:

Anon2.0 likes this.
  13. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you get stuck with your blog, you can ask me for help~

Or if that gets too hard, you can join us at American Faux~

14. starryvers

starryvers Member

Reading List:
    Link
    starlittranslations. wordpress. com/2019/01/07/is-he-a-hero-yup-1/
    Here's the first chapter (or prologue part 1) everyone! (Can't post links yet) Site's rather simple for now, will probably change it up in the future. Let me know what you guys think in a comment ♥
    Hope the flair on this thread gets changed to "picked up" soon :blobokhand:

Also, @Ophious, can you please change the 8th commandment in the summary to this?

{8. Always lead.} Even if a hero obtains a carriage, he must be ready to prepare for a battle on foot so as to surround the carriage from the outside with the other party members. So he won’t be told, “Ah, this event… Is he really necessary for it? He’s weak, bringing him along is a pain…” while he’s in the carriage.
    I made a little mistake before :blobtired:

15. Ophious

Reading List:
    Link
    Done, and thanks that makes more sense
    Also I submitted your group to novel updates and when it's submitted I'll also add the chapter in later