Is isekai ready to be a genre?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by UnGrave, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am quite happy that certain manga sites (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name cause they are aggregators sites) have begun to add "isekai" to their genre list. It makes it quite convenient to find what I'm looking for and it's pretty much my favorite genre of all time. Do you think NU should also consider making this change? Is the term perhaps to broad or too narrow to be used as a genre?

Igneus and nanonano like this.
  2. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag is not enuff?

3. NoLoliNoLife

NoLoliNoLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is perfectly fine to put it in. I notice that there is a pattern to novels in terms of their genre for a certain time period and since about 2015 it has been isekai so I think it is perfectly fine to add it as a genre.

Igneus likes this.
  4. keny2020j

keny2020j Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    too much isekai novel or manga.

5. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's been talked about, but the reason it's not a Genre is because it's mostly covered by the various tags.

Transported Into Another World
    Reincarnated Into Another World
    Transmigration
    Summoned Hero
    World Travel

Blitz, Kronos, MangoGuy and 3 others like this.
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    There is an advantage for me, being I could technically filter the front page to only show isekai novels. Also the tags are a nightmare to use on mobile.

MangoGuy likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno if it's worth being a genre or not, but... AFAIK, genres are a bit too ingrained within NU's database, and it's hard to mess with anything related to them.

So... Your best bet is to just use the tags.

Ryan_Oliver likes this.
  8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    all together mean isekai. woooo

9. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't already? Oh - you mean in NUF's systems. Just pop some tags. : )

True, but a scifi / dimensional space adventure is just as much isekai as god dropping a flowerpot on the MC's head, or a dude somehow hopping to another world - willing or not. Just 'isekai' is a bit overbroad, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some scifi space isekai. That one reincarnated as a space battleship perhaps would count right? Genres are more of an idea than a specific thing right?

11. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    "Isekai" is just "Another/Different World" in general meaning. So really, just add it as a genre is better, while the other tags like "Transported to Another World" are more like subsidiary of the genre.
    Even a guy just randomly walk into a magical gate that connect to a different place not from our world is also "Isekai", and that isn't even "Transported" or "Summoned".

12. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently it's already is with at least one publisher banned such genre due to tons of similar generic cloned story if I'm not wrong.
    Usually technology gap, foreknowledge, or cheat. A downgraded intellectuals make the MC seems smarter.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Here let's make it sound like an ad: "Others have already made the switch. Will you?"

14. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't really have it as a genre because isekai is to me a least, a standard fantasy JP transport/reincarnation into another world. You'd just need to use the Series Finder tool and have it set to language as Japanese and include the Reincarnation Into Another World and/or Transported Into Another World Tag. You could kinda say "isekai" is just the somehow(transmigration, reincarnation, or transportation) to another world. However, this would then just pretty much make it also include KRs and CNs which in terms of the actual aspects of the novels are quite different from each other and standard JP isekai. It'd really just be better to use the tags of:
    Also, my reason against "Isekai" genre is not only the reason of isekai being its own genre that is popularly JP isekai/ isekai being a JP word/thing. Unlike where in NU we use shoujo, shounen, etc even for CN and KR despite these words/genre being JP words, "isekai" is less about actual genre focus of "type" and more of content in the novel which is what tags are for. Fantasy is just anything fantasy while shoujo is a genre to tell about target audience. These aren't about the novel content themselves but more of a general grouping for feeling and what you'd intend to expect. Tags will tell you a story is a "cheat" "sword and magic" "transported into another world" novel which makes it an isekai. Genres are for more general use while tags are more specific. Much like how we have genres for fantasy and a type of fantasy indicated through tags happens to be "sword and magic" or "cultivation" tag.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    AliceShiki and jeskai729 like this.
  15. jeskai729

jeskai729 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but technically cultivation novels are "another world" (isekai novels) if we stretching

16. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Why add more genre when tags almost already defined it?

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. jeskai729

jeskai729 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah smart! I was gonna say "Can Isekai compete against the heavyweights of romance, action, adventure, fantasy?"

18. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I've started considering it as a genre for awhile know.

On forums everyone uses the word isekai in describing a novel like they would use the word horror.
    "It's an Isekai novel"
    "It's a Horror novel"

In conversation with anyone who knows the genres and types of books out there I've found Isekai is used just like any other genre would be used in describing the novel.
    It may not be a staple genre but it has become so prolific and popular that I think despite how everyone already uses it as a genre it should be added officially.

It's like in Canada how we used "Double Double" so often and it became so widespread that it was added to the dictionary.

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Is double double not a standard thing?

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you randomly add some tags to NU's list... A hammer might hit your head... >.>
    Never heard of it, so... Probably not?

LaDyViL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.