Is it possible to prevent qidian "PREMIUM CHAPTERS" from appearing in the directory?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by OmegaDion, Feb 28, 2018.

1. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, most of the time, (for paywalled chapter to appear on NU), it was because qidian's translator released the chapter without locking it. or the system itself takes a while to auto-add the lock. while it might've just been a minute or so before they realized the derp, or was auto-locked, NU bots might've already plucked that chapter and added it to the database by then.

kenar and LaDyViL like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I see~

Well, doesn't change the fact that we need to use the report hammer on those evil derps! :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

A s h e s likes this.
  3. Tetsuki

Tetsuki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are basicly steeling the money that the authors made with patreon by using the stones that are "free", but can also be brought. It would be really interesting to know if they even get money when someone uses stones to unlock chapters.

Now I really have enough reason to stop using qidan.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it is the opposite.

The authors earned nothing from how much you put on patreon in the past, with this new system the authors gain a share of it.

We don't know how much they earn of course, but they do gain from it.

5. DMR

DMR Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But, for the qidan chapters that can be easily viewed after an ad, couldn't be get updates for those chapters?

If it's just a 5-10 second ad, then getting an update for the chapter shouldn't be a bad thing. It's an actual corporate site after all.

In fact, that should be allowed since those chapters can still be viewed for free without those stones.

6. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    recently, you can't do that without logging in anymore. therefore, that one extra step disqualifies those chapters as being called ad-walled, and as such will no longer be listed until they're fully accessible publicly (or openly). you can't really say something that requires making an account, or signing in with google/facebook/etc as 'openly' available, could you?

LaDyViL likes this.
  7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    NU actually allowed that. Its just that the chapter have a "lock" icon to show that the chapter is an ad-walled chapter. The reader have a choice to see and read it or not. I think that Its a pretty fair choice from NU since ad-walled chapter is not in a loophole. Well, people already did that in the past, like posting the chapter behind the ad.fly and something like that

8. DMR

DMR Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except the account is free. Also, it should be noted that Qidian, as much as I dislike them, IS an actual company that's properly connected with the original source. It's different from any other group or site. They are kinda the closest things to official publishers for Chinese web novels.

9. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    although the account is free. Reader still have to register to read it in which its contradictory with NU's policy about the easy to access chapter. Lets say, a certain group locked their chapter behind an app. Even though the app is free to download, its not easy to access for public readers hence their chapters aren't registered to NU.

Seraphic and runsing like this.
  10. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, there are (currently) at least 6 groups on NU that uses adfly (and its variation), and as such, some of their titles did get the padlock icon. however, unlike qidian's titles which were 'walled' only for certain period of time, these ~6 group all have permanent usage of adflies in their chapter posts. therefore, all the padlock icons on these groups are now temporarily 'lifted' while tony is working on an improved chapter marking feature.

i agree the account creation is free, but a line had to be drawn somewhere, and login/membership-wall IS an actual restricted access.
    this might not be the best analogy, but irl while we call a public library as an open, free, public facility, doesn't mean just about anyone and everyone can borrow the books home.

LaDyViL likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Free or not, you are giving away your privacy to someone else. And with Qidian being an actually sketchy, shady and untrustworthy company from their track record, not to mention the lack of privacy law in China, signing up can lead to some serious consequences. Sure, you can use a throwaway account to register, but that's an additional level of troublesome stuff. It's fine if you're so addicted you can make 10 more e-mail accounts to register on Qidian, but if you're the average person, you'd not want to bother. Plus this 'actual company' is a company that has a track record of abusing, stealing and lying to almost everyone.

Seraphic likes this.
  12. guy smiley

guy smiley Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this something that's been announced somewhere? If so, can I get a link to that please, I reported one of said group's chapters for not being labelled as adwalled more than a week ago, and I'd like to understand the situation better if possible.

13. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    which one? temporarily lifted? or improving feature? or 'announcement'

https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/4169104/
    ps : you've already read them >.<

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  14. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
  15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blitz and AliceShiki like this.
  16. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm confused. It doesn't seem to be resolved. Or are locked chapters allowed?

17. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    All the chapters from the nu directory past 100 were removed since they're behind a wall

18. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Weird, I'm seeing up to 992.

19. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Might wanna clear your cache
    Screenshot_20180907-005422.jpg

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh, my bad. (y)

It's unbelievable that they would make so many chapters premium but I heard that it was because the authors complained that they weren't getting enough money. :LOL: This one must be earning pocket change, lol. It's not even popular.