Discussion Is Novel Translation getting oversaturated and are being used maliciously.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by PringleStorian, Jul 21, 2021.

1. PringleStorian

PringleStorian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a simple discussion I want to have, I noticed that there is an increase of Translator as well as Translation Group, which by itself is a good thing, that I believe, however, I noticed that more and more translation is, let's just say minimal effort, this is fine by itself, after all, no one has any say on how people translate.

I won't be writing down names. However, I have seen some novels having multiple translators without any clearance on who has the real say/who is the one who's actually working on it, coupled with this, the most jarring is when novel characters constantly change the character name based on who's translating (L sometimes changed with R, OU become O/U only.) Some novel characters also have a unique way of talking and even something that they say constantly (Kumo, Nai Wa coming to mind), also, gatekeeping some novels through a paywall is also a thing.

Long story short, I have three questions I want your thoughts on.

1. Should a project be allowed to be handled by multiple translators at once, in hopes of faster release, or should a novel be only translated by one group at a time for the sake of clarity in translation.

2. Should the translator have the rights to monetize their translation/ use their translation as an incentivize?

3. Does the translator have the right to translates their novel if an official translation already exists?

2. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof, a bomb.

So, the 3rd seems clear cut on paper, right? Wrong.

There were some lightnovels (you mostly saw this with jp ln before qidian invaded the englidh speaking side) where a tl would get hammered by DMCA, the tling would go to official channels and then nothing.

As in, nothing for broke people and little for those able and willing to pay. Because maybe the first 1-2 or even 3-4 volumes would get tled and published, after which, there is nothing.

This buried so many good series, and is a much more common occurrence than you would think seeing how many circumstances need to overlap for it to happen in the first place.

3. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if the increase of translators has to do with COVID lockdowns.

Lykalee likes this.
  4. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I don't see why a project can't be allowed to be handled by multiple translators at once, if there is no protest from the author or original/official holder of the novel
    2. Sure, translators can do whatever they want but readers can also do whatever they want, in my humble opinion, monetizing a translation is a double edged sword, it lessens the number of readers but at least the translator is rewarded for their work (assuming it is a good/great translation and not a copy/paste mtl)
    3. Yes, it is just a matter of what the reader would chose in this case the official or the non official one

Lissi likes this.
  5. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course? Mix-ups in the situation you described can easily be fixed if they simply made a shared glossary. There is absolutely no reason that people shouldn't be allowed to work on projects together.

6. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Multiple translators working on one project is not a new thing. Back in 2016 when long ass novels were the trend like The Demonic King Chases his Wife. 7 translators were working on this one project in order to give daily updates for readers.
    2. Why not? Readers want consistency in uploads but don't give any incentive (no comments, no likes, just remaining as ghost readers) Financial incentive is at least an incentive if we're not getting the above intrinsic motivations. I don't mind not getting any pay, but with how precious my time is, instead of expecting weekly releases, you'll likely be looking at once a month releases or sporadic releases.
    3. If an official translation already exists, then translators should not continue unless they want to be issued a DMCA. The same rule has been upheld in the circle of manga and should be upheld here as well.

Gitami and nyamachi like this.
  7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that NU is only a database of translated web novels, not the authority. Really our side isn't trying to police disputes like that, and it's all a jungle out there where each person does what they think they can.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hee let see
    based on lil bit law this cat know

1. whatever
    2. do they right to it? most just like thief no? taking other work with no permission then make money of it~ sure they can do that but when trouble come deal with it~
    3. yes they have right to translate but no right to publish it~

now let see from this cat biased moral compass cuz this cat entitled to it
    1. yes please
    2. sure as long as consistent and worth da money~
    3. pirate for the poor cat!