Is prenuptial necessary?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tsukkin, Feb 9, 2020.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think a necessity is the right word, but I think it is not a bad idea to have one. Because like... Divorces can sometimes be peaceful and handled with a calm mind, and other times they are a big mess.

Having an agreement beforehand to avoid the mess getting bigger than it already is doesn't hurt.

imK likes this.
  2. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's also necessary to think about your future potential too.

After my aunt got married, she started a small company.

Under a typical divorce, the way the assets are divided can be complicated if the spouse lays claim on part of the company ownership. Consequently, thinking about your future economic potential is also an important consideration too.

imK and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck... There goes some people's hopes on a practical marriage.

Not even a divorce or proof of affair can't stop a bastard child from furthering ruining your life?

4. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had a pre-nup in the past and it saved me a lot of hassle. To clarify, I've never been married and have no intentions to. Under New Zealand law a de-facto relationship of 3 years or longer is treated the same as a civil union or marriage. When my then-partner and I hit the 2 year mark, we started to get serious so I brought up getting a pre-nup done. We hashed out the details and signed it with our respective lawyers. I broke it off at the 4 year mark (no shade, it wasn't working) and thanks to the prenup I was able to walk away with minimal financial fallout. I'd definitely require a pre-nup before agreeing to another formal relationship in the future.

5. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A prenuptial is not necessary and I believe can be nullified by the court, if there is something more permanent and secure, my personal opinion is go for it! As someone who comes from a family where relatives get nosy and there are greedy people everywhere, I would definitely get a prenuptial in the case that my spouse and me split up. I am a rational person. There is no guarantee that a couple may remain together hence it is always better to get things settled at the beginning of the marriage then at the end when you are both exhausted and money ruins your relationship even further. Of course, there is also no guarantee that you will ever divorce. But still it's something I recommend because life is unpredictable. Just think of it like insurance.

A prenuptial is definitely something I need my spouse to understand for our marriage to work out. It also opens a gateway to communication. You are expecting to live with your spouse for your entire life, if money is something you feel needs to be talked about, do it before the marriage vows. It's better to figure out that a prenuptial will kill your marriage or money talks will early rather than get married and then have money issues or other issues and then divorced as a result. Of course, this is coming from a a lurking reader with trust issues so take my advice with a grain of salt.

imK likes this.
  6. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: I've often wondered why people are more focused on the wedding ceremony than going to something like couple's counselling pre-marriage in order to help figure out if their goals and values are truly aligned, as well as teaching both parties valuable tools for defusing tense situations/misunderstandings/etc. Pre-nups are okay, but I've always thought of them as an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. Way better to take the bullets out of the gun than go around wearing a bulletproof vest.

7. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    Pre-nup is expensive toilet paper.

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  8. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, yes if you decide to get married and you want it to be "official". Then yes get a prenuptial. In the U.S and other western countries, men get the short end of the stick most of the times. So it would be prudent to protect your assets.

To be honest I would not even suggest to get married in this day and age. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze if you're a dude.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on your country condition~
    how marriage divorce law regarding assets ownership, children hmm raise fee~ mainly those 2
    another thing if you both have good education and or good financial income thing such as own company and pre wed asset~ if ya celebrity that also good idea~ ah also if ya marriage with foreigner~
    plus point if ya marriage on impulse lol~

put it simple each country social live on marriage or on general have different factor which may favor or against pre up marriage thing~ even on same country different area, education and economy have different view toward it~

so this cat advise think more before marry someone~

10. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd hate New Zealand then. As soon as your relationship hits the 3 year mark it doesn't matter if you're married, defacto or civil union, they all fall under the same division of property laws.

Deleted member 89812 likes this.