Is The Author The Most Important When Writing a Book?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Many in this community seem to look down on the work of translators. I know some translators who should actually be called editors as they fix plotholes and errors in the web novels

I have had some say machine translation will replace human translations in a few years.I find that very hard to believe. The quotes below support my point.

"Editing is the most important part of my job as an author. Before I gave up my day job to write full-time I was myself an editor....... And yet I cannot tell you how much I hate it. It is extremely dispiriting to sit in a room with your editor and be told that the book (in my case novel) you have lovingly crafted over a long period of months is not gripping, charming and perfectly turned out, that it is in fact repetitive, unconvincing, too sketchy here, too drawn-out there. But I'd be mortified were anyone other than my editor and agent to read the first draft. It is vital that an author has someone willing to be tough with them. It's in their best interests, and if that person is employed by the author themselves on a freelance basis, I question how tough they'll be willing to be."

"Editors of yesteryear wielded vast influence; a book could go through many, many rewrites before it was deemed worthy of selling to the reading public. Who knows whether Gone With the Wind would have been as successful had it been called, as it originally was, Pansy, after its eponymous heroine, Pansy O'Hara, before Margaret Mitchell's editor at Macmillan persuaded her to change the name to Scarlett? "

Web novel publishing, for the most part, has zero editing. It is a mass produced assembly system that promotes quantity over quality
    I wonder how much better the best stories on Novel Updates would be if there was a bit of editing.
    And how good those novels that just missed the mark would be with good editing.

"Choice is a good thing, but there's increasingly no delineation between an online publisher or author who bundles up sub-standard work and sells it as cheaply as possible and a publishing house that has some interest in curating their authors' careers. I think consumers deserve the same level of respect now as then, and so I wonder what the future holds."

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/jun/16/ebook-needs-good-editor
    Peace!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't translators that fix plotholes and errors in web novels, cause the plot of the novel to deviate into the realm of "fan-fiction"? Unless of course, said novel is "Invisible Dragon" or "Beauty and the Bodyguard aka School Beauty Personal Bodyguard".

nightcore34, ATrueStory and Wujigege like this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haahaha yes, I do agree but some errors are pretty easy to fix without turning it into fanfiction eg author forgetting the character's height. Forgetting a character is male instead of female etc

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most translators do not "fix" the novel they're translating. At all. I'm sure some do, but they're definitely a minority.

Mmm. Minor corrections are kind of common, though, like stat screens or currency not adding up right. But that and the kind of changes to the plot you're implying here are two entirely different things. These corrections fall more under the category of correcting a typo than really editing.

Should they? Dunno. Maybe it'd be better to say the author should have a (better) editor to begin with, and it's not the translator's job to play editor when they didn't.

ATrueStory and Astaroth like this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixing as in fixing the flow of the story. It is not a simple copy and paste of words as some seem to believe.
    Rearranging sentences so they make sense.
    Sometimes after translating a chapter. A translator needs to go back and rephrase sentences
    I am simply quoting translators. It is not my own words
    @UnGrave

Drake98 likes this.
  6. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    That's inherent in the process of translation. Even google translate does that. You have to. Sentences are just flat out arranged differently in other languages - the basic order of word types that an English speaker is familiar with just often isn't the same. Parts of speech we depend on - like articles - might not even be present in the other language. Words have to be added; the sentence has to be rearranged. There's no avoiding that, even in a pure machine translation.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    But google translate changes sex from male to female repeatedly.
    I would argue that it cannot do what you claim.
    A human can go back and fix sex changes after translating the entire chapter and understanding it better
    google translate cannot

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit confused here. I thought we were talking about an indefinite future where machine translation is dramatically improved. not the present, where, yes, machine translation is genuinely awful.

In the present, though, you can definitely see google adding articles during the process of translation. Chinese, I think, is one language that doesn't use them. So if you ever see the words "a" or "the" in the results of a google translation, they were not in the original text. Instead, the machine added these words in the process of restructuring the sentence.

Drake98 and Wujigege like this.
  9. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. That's why there's one time in Japan an editor sue-ing something with how a book is theirs or how they are really are the one making novels.
    Like this maybe?
    https://japantoday.com/category/fea...’t-write-aren’t-the-ones-creating-their-books

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am talking about the present but I believe that improvements will not come as quickly as many seem to believe as there are many kinks that need to be fixed. Some not so obvious

Yeah, I would say that translating is as labor intensive as editing although many seem to think it is a lot easier than it is

Drake98 likes this.
  11. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, absolutely. I do believe, personally, that machine translation will reach that level. But it definitely won't be any time soon.

Probably not in the next three decades. - But I may be underestimating humanity a bit here.

Kuro_0ni and Wujigege like this.
  12. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This does remind me of the Manhua vs Novel version of "玄界之门".
    Manhua: https://mangadex.org/title/26191/the-portal-of-wonderland
    Novel: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-portal-of-wonderland/

The novel was extremely badly written(plotholes and flow/sequence errors), so the manhua studio ended up "fixing the plot directly" and "rearranging the flow of events". Manhua has good artwork but sadly unless the manhua studio "deviates from the main novel completely", it's as good as "Hunter Age".

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
  14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Wolfie translation does a pretty good job at rewriting some of the annoying/weird/bad parts of the amber sword

and personally I'd love to see someone "edit" shitty drawn out novels like BTTH by basically removing most of the word padding

15. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate this mistake. When a character is introduced as a Female/Male in one chapter I usually try to visualize what they look like in my head. So after fifty chapters and maybe five chapters of not being seen when a character is suddenly gender swapped it makes it difficult for me to remember who said character is. Granted this only happens when I pay attention to the words "he" and "she" ,but still I dont think a book should require you to NOT pay attention in order to understand it. Not to mention the multiple times when I get back to reading after a month long hiatus only to have to go back and look for MC "female" best freind.

16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    That article has come up before and was identified as err.. well, you know what a tabloid is, right? Basically it's nonsense.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/3773081/

It wasn't hosted on Japan Today at the time, but Japan Today just picked it up from another source.

Barnnn, Drake98 and Wujigege like this.
  17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

From someone who writes perspective, I spend 10X more time editing my own work than writing it. Editing is a lot of work.

Now having an actual editor would save the effort fixing flow issues and grammar issues and can probably lower it down to 5X. You also have someone you can discuss the plot with for things you might not notice.

That said, I would be careful about letting your book be written by an editor. I've seen plenty of light novels go downhill from the web novel due to what feels like the editor dictating the story.

Kuro_0ni, Moonpearl and Astaroth like this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am reading City of Terror on Gravity Tales and that mistake is there. It is most likely the fault of the translator.
    A character introduced as the dojo Master's daughter goes from being called she to he. And from her father to his father in the same paragraph
    http://gravitytales.com/novel/the-city-of-terror/cot-chapter-65
    Cheng Bi Wu is the father of the lady called Cheng Sisi

View attachment 41350

Here is another example:
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...e-path-i-walk-to-survive-in-this-other-world/
    I could not get any translator to translate the novel because it was so bad what the author wrote and the translator changed so much that ti became a different story

I would not blame the editor but the publisher. An Editor should be someone that you trust.
    I know that the Watergate author: Bob Woodward has been using the same Editor for 30 years

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I get that you are saying that editors and translators are important and I do agree with that sentiment.
    But what point are you actually trying to make with that clickbait title if the rest of the post is presented in a way that feels disconnected from the question and without further elaboration on that part?
    Not trying to hate on you or anything like that, it just feels strange to read a ramble about editing that might well need some editing for clarity itself.

Barnnn and StuffedDuck like this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha. It's disappointing that you used words like " clickbait" but it will be greedy to expect everyone to understand.
    I got a good 4 or 5 replies and I am satisfied with that.
    Peace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.