Discussion Is there any influence from the international audience

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Zeusomega, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha. They're probably happy to see their story reaching distant places. But the writers definitely don't consider the fact that the foreigners may not appreciate it when non-Chinese characters are merely used as dumb-as-a-rock stepping stones.

Killing the goose that lays the golden egg, I suppose.

2. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't take them into account. It just isn't that significant, neither pay-wise nor viewership-wise.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure mainland chinese authors could even afford to have international readers in mind, trying to cater to their chinese readers while dealing with domestic censorship is probably already hard enough, so also having to spread their attention to foreign tastes, further censorship related to anything foreign and just the whole question how to distribute the work in a way that generates income makes it seem like it just wouldn't be worth it for the vast majority of authors.
    Not sure about HK or Taiwanese authors, though I bet most of those would still focus on their domestic readers as well.
    And in fairness most authors in any culture is likely not going to cater to audiences of other languages unless there is already a high likelyhood of the work being translated from the start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.