Resolved is this dangerous or not

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by tahzib1451, Aug 10, 2019.

1. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    my ram memory shows 3 sections and a large chunk of it is this standby thingy.....and it keeps shrinking or increases whenever it wants....is this problematic for my RAM?is there a way to change this?
    BTW i just launched a game so memory consumption is high....
    Untitled.jpg

2. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't feel any performance deficiency or lagging it is fine no? It just means your pc is running your high performance game as intended.

3. tahzib1451

Reading List:
    Link
    this standby is normally somewhere at 3.5gb....even if i dont run anything....just wanna know will this cause any harm?gaming or not.....chrome too acts like a fking game when i run YT....

4. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is it windows? go to task manager and press more details at the bottom and here you will see each application(processes) memory usage. Press the memory(one with the numbers) and it will order them by memory usage.

Some applications such as chrome uses a lot of RAM.

Antivirus and firewall usually run on the background

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it will not cause any harm to your ram.

6. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a normal thing. Standby is basically just cache in your RAM for extra stuff, that is not in active use. Things should get deleted from it periodically. If they don't, it means there are some memory leaks or bugs.
    What I can recommend: 1) Install more ram. 8 is just not enough anymore 2) There are tools that help you manage standby thing. Just search for them. I don't use Windows, so I can't tell you which one is good or bad.

Well, it does "harm" in a sense that it slows down a computer when it grows too much... otherwise there won't be any "harm"

Capsize, Sabruness and Passerby like this.
  7. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    It's perfectly normal, even during regular use, think of it more like cached data and instructions.
    It's there only if it`s needed, but if something else needs that space it`s quickly deleted with no problem whatsoever.
    Also, 8Gb ram is not enough, i have 16Gb and i`m thinking of buying 16Gb more.

udonsage likes this.
  8. tahzib1451

Reading List:
    Link
    when i start my job next month and i horde money then i will think of making the highest spec PC...until then this lappy is the one i have to make do with...and a handy cmd file for clearing standby memory wiped out 99% of it...now i can breathe easy for a while until it accumulates again.....

9. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chrome is a son of a biff browser

It is the fastest browser to date, but the way it gets to that speed is by hogging your memory. Forget about executing games if you have chrome open, coz games usually takes about 2-3gb of memories, while chrome takes about that much too. Given the windows 2 gb initial boot, at 8gb you'd be caching to your hard drive using chrome; which in turn is pretty bad for your ssd.

If I may suggest for your next pc, keep in mind on your goal before you build the pc. What do I mean with that?

Either 1080p work/ 720p budget gaming around $300-500
    2k work, 1080p gaming, VR ready $700-1000, minimum editing.
    4k work, 1080p streaming PC around $1500.

And I agree, given the current price of ram, you should be installing 16gb unless you're doing the budget pc.
    Don't skimp out on PSU... You might burn your devices ... learned that the hard way...

10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    i got 4gb ram. . .
    and used it to play pathfinder kingmaker. . .