Discussion Is this ok or not?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CDLevit, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Is this the right thing for a teacher to do?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

4. Don't know

5. Depends

6. Other answer (mention it)

7. Don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gadget

Gadget Demi-god of magic and science

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people don't want to publicly recognise that they have their share of responsibility in the problem.
    Some parents really don't raise their children well enough.
    Some teachers aren't patient or comprehensive enough.
    AND, some students are just too stuborn/dumb regardless of the efforts of both teachers and parents.
    The teachers also have plenty of other students to take care of. There is a limit to how much efforts they should focus on a single problem student.
    My opinion is that most of the time, the primary source of the problem (at least 40%) is how well the student was raised by the parents. Then the other 60% are shared between how well the teacher is, and how well the student is

2. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, as a former student of a school full of shithead, i agree with what you have told.......
    1- if student don't care about learning, at least should not bother other.
    2- if student don't have moral, it's the parents fault and not the teachers.
    3- if a teacher start talking about moral, then he is ill.....

3. Neydomus

Neydomus Non-Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    trash students should be trashed. its nothing complicated.
    if some trash student is trashing around and disturbing the lesson, then he should be suspended if first time, and thrown out if it happend more than once.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it is the correct choice to make. Kids have to learn behavior at home; if that's not possible, the only exception is a boarding school where the school is home. Because if you only go to school part of the day, nothing you can legally do to punish that child lasts. The only exception is when the parents are actively involved, and punish them at home, but that's not even an actual exception so much as proof that it needs to be handled at home. It's a teachers job to provide the opportunity to learn equally to all students. It is the families job to teach their kid morality and values, including to value that education. Then finally, even though "they're just a kid", it is the child's job to seize that opportunity. Because that is life. And no matter how unfair it seems, or how unreasonable, life starts when you're born and doesn't give a fuck.

5. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My mother is a teacher and from what she says to me 90% of the time it is the parents' fault. When I went to school if a teacher told a parent that his child wasn't behaving, the parent would support the teacher and punish his child. But now it's "he isn't like that", "it isn't his fault", "I am sure he has his reasons".
    If a teacher tells a parent that the child has learning problems (or when he fails a test) then "my child isn't stupid/retarded".

Ai chan likes this.
  6. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    For me the part was the fact that they conspired against the student. That's when they were in the wrong. If this was just an incident where the student crossed the line, and then was removed fine, but the fact that they were actively conspiring against the student was were they crossed the line. The student might well be a total ass, but that doesn't mean the teachers have to stoop as low as that in order to get rid of him.
    Agreed.

CDLevit likes this.
  7. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    this guy choose a wrong job ....
    he shouldnt be a teacher and so that principal....
    no wonder no matter how many asshole you kill in this world ... they probably more will come out somewhere

8. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is the main issue of this situation. The fact that they decided to conspire against him behind his back in order to remove him rather than be upfront and tell him the consequences of his actions and their results is just plain wrong. If the kid was as bad as they said there would be enough justification but conspiring just means they are targeting the kid since they lack proof or reason to do what they want. It'd be the same as if your boss and your manager kept sabotaging your promotions or tranfer to different departments behind your back. It's just wrong as someone who holds power above them as a teacher or principal do.

CDLevit, Arcturus and Lithit like this.
  9. TwoWhiteShirts

TwoWhiteShirts Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer depends because every classroom, teacher, classmates, and problem student is uniquely different.
    In some cases it may actually be necessary to remove a student when they become a big enough presence that disrupts the peace and harmony of the entire class. They may be physically violent, verbally abusive, or even bring about irrevocable influences such as drugs and more. It may actually even benefit the student if they have a damaged relationship with the classmates and is unable to healthily integrate within the environment. Perhaps a change of place could be better. But keep in mind that there are also hopeless cases and those are usually ones that have lost their reasoning and perhaps even sanity. After all a sane person cannot really communicate with an insane person.

In other cases, when a student is still 'manageable', it would be most ethical for a teacher to do their best to rectify the situation and find a way to come to terms with the student. And if the teacher is unable to provide this help, they should seek help from other able people. It would also be best for the family of the student to be involved if possible because the teacher can only be responsible for so much. It's a joint effort.

10. Lithit

Lithit Desu~'s Little Griffin

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with this, while I from experience will in no way blame this teacher for wanting to rid their class of this student, he did not get rid of him the right way.

People who keep saying "this teacher s a horrible person" or "He/she is not a good role-model" i say to you, yes his actions were wrong, but try teaching a class of raging hormones and you will see why i sympathize with him/her

11. nerebear

nerebear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If he doesnt want to learn, id say get rid of him. As it is, students dont get enough time with the teacher. If he wants to learn, but something is making the process difficult, he needs to be put into a specialized class.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    That people think that it's a good idea to take all the trouble makers and make a special class for them with other troublemakers (also note that it's wide label, throwing huge nets to catch as many as you can has always been a terrible idea btw) to essentially 'remove' the 'problem' and instead of actually solving it make the 'truly vicious' who have 'lost all hope' make the random kid who is just feeling a bit down for whatever reason and so on associate and eventually also grow to the point of no return.

You know what people call a bunch of crazies grouping together, isolating themselves from the outside world and thinking god knows what? Cults. And that is practically what the "solution" teachers advocate for children, teenagers, and young adults.

p.s. and people speaking about how morals should be taught at home, definitely, ideally, but maybe the first step here is to not have kids make more kids to begin with. What the hell is some teenage single mom going to teach to a kid when they probably haven't even been taught that much themselves to begin with.

If one kid from one bad home is enough to 'ruin' an entire class and pull down the IQ somehow, then maybe that's somewhere to look at instead of just the kid.

CDLevit likes this.
  13. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are things you can solve by just going by the book. But when it fails, doing it the hard way might be good for him in the long run. Handing out heavy punishments if ends justify the means or else the he will take it all for granted and never change. Besides he disrupts the class repeatedly and that punishment should be appropriate.

14. Lithit

Reading List:
    Link
    While i don't know about the others, i'm talking about the people who are truly hopeless, not because the teacher isn't trying, but the people who just don't care. Would putting depressesd or mentally challenged people in the class be OK, no. But if you put all the drug heads in one class they become friends and are more likely to group up, bigger groups are easier to catch

15. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure the teacher and the school should be role models and try to help students, but a kid's education isn't just a school matter, parents (responsables) have a greater share of responsibility over the kid's behavior.
    If the school couldn't get a hold of the kid, nor the parents or the parents simply defend their bad mannered kid (as the kid is an angel in front of them and demon in their backs -could even happen in front of their teachers too-, which actually happens a lot), them the last option is set the bad student for bigger good...

16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, so if I get you right, you already know a kid has problems, so bad there's even drugs involved, and you want to group him up with the rest of them as well? To catch them?

That's what you call a self fulfilling prophecy.
    If you literally can't do anything more, then yes. Maybe tell the kid they'll be going to the cesspit first though.

17. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in my small country and village it goes like this

-No studying-repeat years-Bad behavior-repeat years-Repeat the same two again-Expeled and sent to a school 1km away in the surrounding villages

18. Lithit

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not talking about anyone who has a problem, I'm talking about people who have a problem and regardless of what you, their parents and their siblings did, they did not even try to change. If someone wants to become a failure in life, who am i to stop them

Though i don't quite get what you mean by a self-fulfilling promise?

19. ephemeral

ephemeral sometimes i'm here

Reading List:
    Link
    though not directly related, people seem to not realize or forget that parents are teachers too. they are their children's first teacher and (hopefully) were the ones that taught them the first steps to being a standard human. indirectly, parents were their first models as humans to imitate, so their children's behavior is also a reflection of them as a parent and/or person. so a teacher isn't always to be blamed for a student's behavior and there isnt an easy way to change or 'fix' engraved behaviors. (not to say the environment isnt a factor too). a person can only change if they really want and try to (or forced into a situation where they have to).

CDLevit likes this.
  20. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    If i was în that student position .. I wouldnt give a fuck cuz they consider me a problem and also If they try to bullshit me ab my actions.. Ill just want to do the exact same shit just to annoy them as much as i can ( why? Cuz i can and i enjoy seeing ppl get mad and crying me a river)
    And If some teacher wouldnt want me to pass the class ... Trust me buddy i got so much free time that I can go and memorize everything for the next few years

As long as they dont mind me i just wont make any problems for them(its my life and i can destroy it If i want)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016