Is war worth it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Aug 29, 2020.

?

Is it worth it?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I'm not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To put into perspective, here's what going to happen if there's no war happening at some point in history:

1. Japan would still be a far-right wing imperialist nation, as they only became pacifist after losing the war and their factories and war capabilities were dismantled by the Allied forces. So no anime and manga for you.
    2. Post WW II and Cold War actually the most peaceful timeline in human history, thanks to efforts made by countries to prevent further war and the birth of United Nations--of course, the fear of nuclear war make it future big wars less desirable.
    3. Human rights, democracy, and free trade wouldn't be championed by everyone like now, as world organizations around them only emerged after events like Holocaust and the failure of Smoot-Hawley tariff during the Great Depression that lead Japan little choices than waging a war and seize the lands of nearby countries.
    4. Europe would still be poor nations, as events that helped transferring wealth from the east to the west such as Opium Wars never happened -- and Ottoman Empire, Holy Roman Empire, and China Dynasties would still reign as the world's superpowers.
    5. If Ottoman Empire didn't win against Roman Empire, then scholars wouldn't be seeking refugees to some parts of Europe, and the trigger that made way to Renaissance era wouldn't happen.
    6. It's unlikely there would be religious tolerance like today if the Mongols didn't wage the war (as brutal the ancients mongols were, they actually the most open-minded people when it came to religions).
    7. If Europeans didn't have the experience fighting against the mongols' swift cavalry, it's unlikely they have the need to innovate on guns. Europe without hot weapons wouldn't have enough goods to trade with African tribes, which would prevent them to develop America continent by purchasing slaves from Africa. In this case, the today equivalent of US wouldn't exist, and cotton as well as sugar would be still high price commodities.
    8. Without enough capital and cheap labors to fuel Age of Exploration then capitalism and colonialism (recipes for first round of globalization and industrial revolution) won't be thriving, and the world would still consists of feudalism kingdoms and empires that only minded their own businesses for thousands of years.
    9. If feudalism still existed all around the globe, you and me, most of us, would be born into farmer families, with almost no opportunities to change our fates.

As horrible as they might seemed to be, war actually the recipe for social progress and civilization advancement. And as contradictory as it might sounds, we have today's prosperity and peace thanks to result of previous wars.
    https://www.ceu.edu/article/2018-03...rogress-we-must-remember-costs-macmillan-says

Disclaimer: don't quote me on this as me endorsing war; I'm not. I just pointing out facts that I learned from reading history books and watching history videos on youtube solely relying on my flawed memory.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Viola likes this.