Discussion It's a sad day....

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by aegis062, Oct 15, 2020.

?

do you think we need to improve american animation?

1. yes.

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. no.

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. I think no one is willing to fund or start new studio.

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  4. I would like to see more american animation.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a sad day for American animation when even Spain makes better animation than we do. when it comes to Disney movies we do alright, but when it comes to series we don't have any really have a quality output. the last few I remember being good were 90s batman, avatar the last air bender, samurai jack, justice league, x-men 90s and evolution, spider man 90s version and early 2000s teen titans.

I don't count series like the Simpson or family guy since they are just comedy, not quality animation they don't have any actual story nor do I count sponge bob I found that show stupid mostly because it promotes stupidity and not in a clever way like the other shows mention nor is it silly it just feels stupid to me. it seems the best-animated shows were made in the 90s and between 2000s-2009 and they are mostly marvel and DC while some like samurai jack might pop up or avatar we don't have a good output for quality animation.

Edit- I forgot to mention the Ben ten series the original the new one with crappy animation and weird art just kills me since they had a great series and the butchered it like they did teen titans with the titans go series.

2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know mate. I always felt like American animation was just Disney. They buy up everything. Pretty much a monopoly.

3. Draakon

Draakon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China started to make better anime than Japan, meanwhile Japan making mostly mindless issekai with rare exception. USA animation cutting cost and pushing agenda, again Justice League was a nice exception. But honestly, I don't care if USA animation will die, because I am not from USA and I believe that this sphere can be covered by other countries. Still, if they return their animation to older quality, which will not take that much effort with current tech, and stop cutting edge every way possible, then at least this will born more readable fanfics from fans, and it's good for me.

Maomaomao, Leo William and Fran.2424 like this.
  4. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look into the DC animated movies whiles not all of them are great most of them have good stories and are high quality.

anon, yorozuyaginchan and Fran.2424 like this.
  5. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I was talking about series, not movies tho. I have watched most DC movies, but mostly the batman animated movies are great to good while justice league is good to alright depending on who is directing them.

Fran.2424 likes this.
  6. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah if its just series Im not sure there is much in the way of quality animation due to a drive to get stuff out quickly and cheap. I think most quality is going to be in animated feature films.

7. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really agree much to this since Japan has more experience in animation.
    China have no animation mindblowing in the level of Koie Animation, Bones or Mad House.
    The King's Avatar art was good but it had many repetitive scenes, CGI and slideshow that it's cringy to rewatch.

If you are talking about plot then just wait couple of China anime then you will experience endless repetitive plot and story that is cancer to CN novel. Japan anime just got downhill since they are to many anime already that finding original and fun is hard since copying to what popular is easier.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    anon, Marvin, Dhiyfal and 1 other person like this.
  8. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    Nickelodeon and cartoon network are usually the ones who make cartoons or animated series, but not a lot. Avatar the last air bender was produced by Nickelodeon and Samurai jack was produced by adult swim. if you haven't watched them you should. I think samurai jack was released it's final season 2017

anon and Fran.2424 like this.
  9. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is it sad that Spain has better animations than America?
    America's the home of capitalism, not anime.

anon, TXHY and kkchaitu like this.
  10. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I know what you mean about Chinese animated series being repetitive, but not Japanese series aren't while they do have many of the same themes they do new concepts even if they have done a lot of isekai these few years.

11. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    America has controvery with Calarts and cheap workforce that's why their animation in cartoon series are bland. The companies are getting lazier like EA that they only copy paste plot e.g. Reboot old cartoons into shittier version.

I notice they are rebooting old cartoons like Teen Titans and Thunder Cats into chibi form for easier animation. Though from seeing Steven Universe with has inconsistency with the art style, we can see how they have no permanent animators but cheap workers overseas.

Sad reality that companies doesn't take risk to make original story.
    For now it seems independent animators are showing their pilot to companies like Viziepop and Infinity Train. So more like it's the company problem than animators side.

12. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    Because America is such huge country with ten times the economic power, but our companies don't bother to makes things of good quality. while spain is making something of quality with a 10ths if the funding that any American studio could easily lift a finger and pour millions into and come up with dozens if not hundreds of series. we don't lack manpower or creativity we lack willing investors who are willing to pump out quality over quantity.

13. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    yea mostly companies and investors side not willing to pay to make quality which in the end might pay off a million times more when it becomes popular and they can sell merch and make a huge amount from brand alone.

14. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    I talking about Drakon response in how China has better anime than Japan were they differ in quantity as there are fewer China anime than Japan.
    There are many Japan anime with different genres overall but most are mediocore. I haven't found any anime worth watching this season since ReZero ended so this might be my bias.

But still Japan has better animation than China but when it comes to mobile games China is winning with Genshin Impact, Honkai Impact and Azur Lane.

PS: I wanted to skip work tomorrow to play Genshin lol

15. Fran.2424

Fran.2424 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well when it comes to animation I agree that good quality animation for series from the USA is something from the past, I really want to soon see some high quality korean and chinese animation,I have seen some animated series from both but the chinese ones relay too much on cgi and 3d "blocks" some of it literally looks like a bad chinese mmorpg.
    And anime nowadays doesn't appeal to me as it used to, but maybe is because I'm older or maybe they haven't put anything that interest me lately.

TXHY and JinVodka like this.
  16. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually started playing Genshin.
    when it comes to mobile games im not really a fan it's mostly because everything is being monetized. I don't mind if it cost money to make your character nice, but when It's imposed so that anyone who pays get advantages in the game or it makes the game easier for them then I have a problem. when they do that It makes me not want to play the game since hard work doesn't matter just how fat your wallet is.

Fran.2424 likes this.
  17. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    the problem is the demand i guess, if there's alot people thinking like u, than maybe the company will do something, but if the audience is satisfied with what the company given to them now..then...why the company bother to change it to the old ways...

anon and Fran.2424 like this.
  18. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup gacha games are rabbit hole you don't want to get too since you need to use money to get good but I think they just pretty similar to MMO in PC since they are pay to win.

Though in Genshin, P2W will make your life easier and luck will make it easiest lol.
    I just enjoyed that game since it art is beautiful, characters are interesting and not boring while the story was enjoyable and the combat is mindblowing for a mobile game. It gave me heart attack during scenes praying not to kill certain characters cause Mihoyo likes their tradegy.

It is suprising that a China company made a mobile game that has PC gameplay while Japan haven't done it yet. Though China is more focus to mobile games while Japan is on Anime and Consoles.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Fran.2424 likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well first of all, what kind of animation? specific talking da target audience~ children, teen, young adult, adult~ japan kinda shifting da target or maybe just the theme perhaps? japan still produce animation for children hmm like doraemon~ south korea also have like Tayo, Pororo ect mostly 3d....
    animation for children on USA, imo it feel more that for teen perhaps? maybe because of cultural difference~ We Bare Bear imo barely fit for children? Amazing World of Gumball maybe for teen, Power Puffgirl da new one hmmm yeah basically animation kinda trying to aim for more "mature" audience but meh~ well it fit da bill so kinda ok perhaps?
    animation for children kinda have lot of restriction these day~ well how many of you watching a cat and a mouse try to kill each other or smack each other back then as kid? or a hunter try kill a rabbit or wolf try to catch fast running bird or dog try to defend his owner from bizzare event ect
    say what kind of animation you wanna see?

S4TY4 and Fran.2424 like this.
  20. aegis062

Reading List:
    Link
    they aren't similar to PC game I played when I was a kid-teens most mmorpg I played did have some shops for real money, but it was mostly cosmetic. I loved playing guild wars and Tera use to be subscription till they went free to play in 2011-2012 and all they would sell was cosmetics. I heard tera change tho, but I use to love playing that game. I also played diablo and diablo 2 those you only need to buy the disk and there was no pay to win aspect.