It's official

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Hate

Hate born

Reading List:
    Link
    Proof xxxxx:
    Some minds are never meant to be bright in the first place

2. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
  3. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    This video fails to mention that the wood Stradivari used came from trees that went through abnormal seasons including but not limited to the Little Ice Age, which resulted in wood with very regular density, rather than the varying density that comes from trees which go through normal seasons. The regular density of the wood results in more faithful reproduction of vibrations, i.e., music. Not to mention the wood used by Stradivari was centuries or even millennia old, with a dense cluster of rings that further increased wood density.
    New violins are less "open" since their wood is more tight and unyielding, not to mention on average significantly less dense and old, and has been vibrated far less than violins played for centuries, their sound being more contained in the instrument itself, with a relatively poorer projection of sound. This makes the modern violin sound better to the PLAYER, but inferior to the AUDIENCE since the player hears the direct vibrations of the sound produced by the violin while the audience hears the projected sound, from a distance.
    By the way, this is a proper study done on the subject, which even references Fritz's study.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/115/23/5926

Ai chan, Arkantos, asriu and 2 others like this.
  4. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why we need to CUT OFF the tongue right after tasting the wine and replace the old tongue wit a new one. or you can just wash your tongue......

..wit a jug of bleach.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    White trash comes to mind... I cannot put my finger on the phrase that seems like an expensive word but means the opposite
    I would say high maintenance but it is not quite right.
    My point is that the girl that you are seeing as cute might just be due to the expensive make up (expensive wine) or because a lot people think she is classy/you have a long history with her(the violin)

6. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooo, I see... expensive makeup is not on the rage in my known circle (Herbalife and weird diet fad are different story though), and other than my okaasan and imoutos, I don't have any women that have a long history with me.

Of course, they might have been cute because of plastic surgery, but I doubt the people around me have that much amount of money.

Then again, I am living in a relatively poor part of a third world country with plenty of non-virgin tropical jungle/palm plantations surrounding me.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    In fact, some gargles would suffice (also, bleach has a very strong flavour, so choose something else).

8. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    ...cyanide? mercury? accu liquid? or raccoon pee?

9. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Cyanide is good. Especially if you are not one of the people who can smell it.

RizYun likes this.
  10. waG9

waG9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, those provided videos are super bad. they are proof, humanity that made them and those that get sucked by them are stupid.
    but hey, left is right.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    How is this stupid? Are you saying that rewarding workmanship is stupid? Stradivarius may be overpriced and overhyped, but the dude did make good violins. To you, it may not matter, because you're not a musician. To someone who values it or benefits from using it, it matters greatly. You're like a car mechanic telling a corn farmer how growing corn is shit because wheat is cheaper.

There is value in hard work and skills, basically, you get good stuff. There is also value in brands, basically, you know the stuff this brand gives is following a certain standard. There is value in standards. Would you buy dumplings from an unknown China brand (taking into account their poor standards for food production) or will you buy dumplings from a well-known Taiwanese or Hong Kong brand? Would it be stupid if you pay more for this Taiwanese or Hong Kong brand? Not enough? How about pork? Would you buy pork from a China man who sells you his pork for cheaps or would you instead buy from a trusted brand eventhough they sell for twice what that China man was willing to sell you?

Stradivarius is known all over because it's a better violin. To the untrained ears, it sounds exactly the same, but to someone who's extremely sensitive, such as piano tuners (I heard they use computers in the US nowadays, because they don't have natural piano tuners anymore), these sounds are worlds apart. Rich people buy these for millions despite having all the money in the world to buy a thousand normal violins, why? Because it matters. They may not play it themselves, either due to not having the talent or not having the time to learn how to play it, but they loan it to accomplished musicians. Why is this the case? Because they can't play it themselves, but they want to listen to it, so someone who can play are hired to play it. It's the same reason why not everyone's a movie actor or actress despite how so many people love watching movies.

It's not stupid to purchase the more expensive one if you are benefiting from it.

kenar likes this.
  12. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    Screenshot_20180722-220414.png

RizYun likes this.
  13. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Great analysis