Discussion Japanese vs Chinese vs Korean Novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by legend4, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, doesn't matter whichever is good.
    People who read all CN,JP,KR got more thing to read compare to people who only read CN/JP/KR.

2. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them all better than english novels in terms of setting. English novels are waaaaay too subdued. Its all too much realistic fantasy even if the characters are often more realistic. I love high fantasy and litRPG, so I can look over any faults.

3. jihadjoe

jihadjoe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every Chinese novel so far has been like Dragon Ball Z (or insert your shounen manga/anime here) in word form lol.

Except RTW. RTW is Sim City the novel and I like it.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not this again...

Alright, I don't even know why I bothered with reading the whole thread, but here goes...

JP novels are not always the same, try looking for some change, a female protagonist, stories that are not reincarnation, non-harem, or just pretty much anything different from what you're used to, try changing the genre you're reading, and you'll find different novels from what you're used to.

Same for CN, not everything is xianxia and wuxia, learn to understand not all novels from a country are restricted to a single genre.

And of course, same for Korean novels, there are a few out there, people are translating, you've liked some, there are others that are bad, others that are good, don't judge a novel by the country.

Heck, even within the same genre there is plenty of variety to find if you just try to search, I've read tons of novels with the same genre and they were vastly different from one another... Just because you don't like a specific trope, don't go saying that all novels from the country this trope is common are bad... Try judging the novel by itself instead of by the country... Seriously...

I still don't know why do I even bother with reading this kind of thread... I think there is one per week or something?

CDLevit likes this.
  5. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    There doesn't need to be comparisons. Each is good in its own right. Sure Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? and Mushoku Tensei are better than everything else but that doesn't make everything else any less good

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Was there really a need to necro a 6months old thread when there is plenty of more recent threads about the same topic? lol
    Oh well at least better than starting a new thread over the same dead and beaten horse.
    Seriously it is pointless to judge any story based on the nationality of the author, a good story is good no matter who or what wrote it.

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    er is this thread merged? or was it dug up again?

8. lovelyxday

lovelyxday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there's great stuff everywhere. I just wish I could read all three languages. So I could finish American Ghost Jack (a Korean Webtoon) and Duke's Daughter (JP novel) :p. But if you're looking for a Chinese novel that's not very "stereotypical"...come read Because I'm a Weapons Shop Uncle *shamelessly self-promotes novel*

Jaiki likes this.
  9. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are the best novels on this site in your opinion?

What makes you think these 2 novels are better than everything else? I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
  10. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese- you most likely find harem and OP MC with a head full of sex. Plots are good in the beginning but get boring quick. Always demon lords and hero plays.
    Many MC are Otaku.

Chinese- 'You are courting death' is their favorite line to say. Always find artifacts out of stupid places. Modern time novels like criticizing other countries. I find Chinese novels the most racist of the three.

Korean- you won't have a novel without rape or kidnapping. There are some novels without that but there's at least attempt rape in it. The plots are better than most Jp novels. Rich ppl are always the bad guy.

All three always reborn, ascending, reincarnation, or what ever there is out there that you see in every beginning plot. Thick Plot Armors.

11. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    They are just two of my favorite books that have good pacing, character development, and World building. It's nearly impossible to not get emotionally attached to these characters

12. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Wether it's a cn , a jp or a kr i don't care ...every one of them has it's good ones and bad ones .
    If i like it i'm reading it , simple as that

13. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could have said that about any other novel, though. What exactly makes the characters likeable? I can't think of a single thing about the guy-with-gem-on-head that makes him interesting enough to be the main character for an entire arc.

How quick are we talking? From my experience Chinese novels that are longer than 1000 chapters tend to suffer the same problem.

14. StormHawk

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember passing 100 chapters of Jp novels. And Chinese novels have like immortal stuff so it's easier for them to move on with the plots. Some Chinese novels do get boring but most of them are good.

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why necro the thread man?
    Now random morons will pop up saying their favorite is the superior race or make vague generalizations about why a certain type sucks. you could have easily just asked the person directly.
    sigh, first off, no. those are common cliques in what is currently being translated, but most JP LN's don't have horny mc's. Not all CN's are xianxia, and not all KR involves rape or kidnapping (ex: LMS)

16. StormHawk

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot to add poor MC in Korean.

17. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought threads like these get locked fast...

18. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    same cough cough anyway Japanese is better for dialogue, Chinese for long chapter, korea for plot

19. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese is better than just for long chapters some of them have stories too...

20. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    coughing blood and don't know want to laugh or cry...

Linbe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.