Recommendations Korean TV-shows

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by zhainan2157, Sep 14, 2018.

1. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    What's up guys! So since I'm going to be heading over to Korea for studying abroad next year, I've been practicing my Korean and Hangul. Now I want to watch some good Korean shows to improve my understanding so got any recommendations for me? I'm not good at Korean yet so I will be needing English subbed TV-shows. I've watched Korean TV-shows before so I know that I will enjoy them. But please don't recommend me any shows with too much drama as those kinds of things affect my mood and I can't be too distracted outside of my designated free time because of school work.
    For the recommendations, please recommend me either modern dramas that mainly focus on comedy or romance, but not too much drama/heart wrenching stuff like separation, NTR kinds of stuff, and love triangles. Also please no scary stuff because I don't want to be sleep-deprived when every minute of sleep counts for me right now.
    Another type of show I like are those set in ancient times depicting the life of a general at war and martial arts(historical wars dramas).

The reason I want to improve my Korean and all is because a lot of my High School friends were exchange students from Korea and so while studying abroad, I'll be visiting their homes and speaking Korean is a real plus when doing so, making their families like me even more. Also for some reason even in College I got to know mostly Koreans and am in a lot of Korean group chats, so having to translate everything they type in there to google translate is kind of annoying.
    I got hooked onto K-Pop and watching variety shows with singers as guests and that was the main reason I got into studying Korean. Plus with my dream career, having a third language is a huge plus.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. SarahYule

SarahYule Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

zhainan2157 likes this.
  3. Doomr

Doomr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d 11/10 recommend Goblin... but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking since you might end up crying :sweating_profusely:

Emmyy and zhainan2157 like this.
  4. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    my love from stars i thinks it called.

Emmyy and zhainan2157 like this.
  5. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    zhainan2157 likes this.
  6. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care about crying as long as it's not crying caused by break up between MC and his/her lover or if his/her lover leaves MC for someone else. I'm okay if it's crying due to death of loved ones and stuff. I also just don't really like watching things that make me feel conflicted about which love potential to support (I actually like this kind of show but just right now they will influence my mentality too much) and also really don't like watching shows where another love rival tricks the love interest of MC to make the love interest have bad opinion of MC.

7. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    War of Money
    It's old, but quite interesting imo

zhainan2157 likes this.
  8. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    My first k-drama was « Jumong » and the second was « King Gwanggaeto the Great ».
    Both are historical war drama.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  9. Emmyy

Emmyy Kadupul flower* blooms at midnight*dies at dawn

Reading List:
    Link
    So funny ! One of my favorites ! :)

10. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    What's Wrong With Secretary Kim ? Drama Fever has many to choose from also. So many funny romantic shows !
    Fantasy
    The Legend of Yun Xi
    Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms
    Love in the Moonlight:)
    Action/ Thriller: w/romance
    City Hunter

zhainan2157 likes this.
  11. Chrysan

Chrysan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My all time favourite variety show : New Journey to the west 3 &4

The casts are hilarious!! The 5th season will be released by the end of the month as well.

Also is you want to see celebrities stuggle and cry : Law of the Jungle (I love it)

For k-pop related stuff you should look up Vlive if you havent already. Thats where most idols live stream and some even have their own variety show.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  12. AurumGold

AurumGold [An Element]

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s definitely not a drama, but.

Hyori’s Bed & Breakfast.

One of the best variety shows I have watched. It heals the heart. Also shows off life in Jeju Island.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  13. Joey226

Joey226 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we should be bad and recommend movies like Hope, The Lost Choices, Han Gong-ju, Silenced ect

The top highly rate shows on viki are all good if I remember right. Its a movie but I just got around to watching Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds it was good.

14. Aethalis

Aethalis 【High Templar】【Professional Lurker】【Atheist】

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Yunxi and Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms are chinese.

Perhaps you could try watching Warrior Baek Dong Soo (Historical drama with martial arts), Six Flying Dragons (Historical drama with quite a lot of politics and decent amount of martial arts, I think), The Legend of the First King's Four Gods (martial arts, historical, fantasy, also one of the first dramas I ever watched), My Love from the Stars (modern, fantasy(?)), Kill Me, Heal Me (Modern, has some tragic backstory I guess), Healer (modern, quite a bit of fighting), Hwayugi (Modern, fantasy, loosely based on Journey to the West I think), Iljimae (historical, quite a lot of martial arts I think, Sort of a Korean Robin Hood thing I think(?), don't quite remember a lot of it), The Moon that Embraces the Sun (historical, some fantasy, mainly romance) and Bride of the Century (Modern).

Emmyy likes this.
  15. Emmyy

Reading List:
    Link
    I knew they were Chinese oops ! I just listed my favorites.. (n):eek::) I like your avi btw !

16. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a drama
    Running Man
    Off to school - celebrities go to high school and experience high school life.
    1 night 2 days
    Infinity challenge - Popular show in Korea
    Lan Life - youtube creators' behind the scene
    Weekly idol/idol room - k-pop
    Hello counselor - addressing common/unique problems
    King of Mask singer - music/singing variety show
    Crime Scene - crime variety drama/reenactment
    Battle Trip - travel guide/advice
    Problematic Men - smart people solve questions
    Sherlock's room - forensics

Drama
    Signal - mystery, time-travel, crime

17. Aethalis

Aethalis 【High Templar】【Professional Lurker】【Atheist】

Reading List:
    Link
    There's also Dream High (first one, not the second), that has quite a bit of singing and such in it, and also features quite a few people who are actual K-Pop singers.

18. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coffee Prince - gender bender romcom starring Yoon Eun-hye, who also did Princess Hours, which is also a romantic show which was pretty good. The latter was based on the manhwa about theoretical Korean royalty.

Autumn In My Heart - a romantic show about a pair of baby girls accidentally switched at birth. A real tear jerker. Part of a set of four from the same director known as the 'Endless Love' series. Winter Sonata is supposed to be pretty good as well. Not sure about Spring Waltz or Summer Scent.

Queen Seondeok - a really well-known, excellent drama.

All of the above are well-known and should have English subbed versions out there.

Running Man is supposed to be hilarious, but I haven't seen it.

19. HavenCustos

HavenCustos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whats wrong with secretary kim- its based off a manwha that's pretty good too. but you have two decent main leads that really grow on you quick and non 1-d side characters. there is drama but they don't over dwell on it.