Question [KR] Can anyone help me with this phrase/word? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Miss Ruby, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    퀘이즈는 절대 타란 가문과 척을 질 생각이 없었다.

Kwiz had no intention of ever opposing/going against/fighting{?} [척을 질] the Taran family.

I chose opposing
    I can tell in the context that it's something like he doesn't ever want to go against them or something like that but what is 척을 질?? never seen it before and I can't find anything on the internet.

I found some sentences that gave me more similar context on how it's used such as:

그런 비열하기 짝이 없는 그룹과는 얼마든지 척을 질 수 있어요. AND

당연히 대공의 참관인인 케니스 백작은 상대가 되지 않을 것이고, 대공의 입장에서도 아직은 제국과 척을 질 이유가 없었다. AND

"굳이 그들과 척을 질 필요는 없지만 그들과 교분을 나눌 이유도 없 으니 상대할 이유가 없소이다.”

Honestly, I would like to know if I'm wrong or right, etc so I can add it to my growing list of new words learnt. If possible, also some background on the word. I keep finding it used in traditional settings so I'm wondering if it's one of those 'olden days' word.

2. xkcdhawk

xkcdhawk Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From naver
    조선시대에 민사와 관련한 소송이 벌어질 때 지금의 피고에 해당하는 사람을 척이라고 했다. 따라서 다른 사람을 고소하여 피고로 만드는 것을 '척진다'고 했다. 예나 지금이나 소송을 한다는 것은 경제적 파탄은 물론 이웃간의 인간 관계마저 극도로 파괴하여 서로 원망하는 사이 또는 원수지간이 된다 하여 생긴 말이다.

So yes, the word is from the 조선 period. If you accuse someone (this person is called the 척)of something and make them a defendant, it is called 척진다. Since in that period(and arguably even today), if you accuse someone, they will be in a bad financial state, and you are destroying your relationship with them with such an action. Hence, that is how the word is used today, becoming enemies with someone.

Miss Ruby likes this.
  3. Nereim

Nereim Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to Naver, 척 used here means plaintiff (as in plaintiff and defendant in court). So as the article explains to 척을지다 means to form a plaintiff and defendant relationship with someone, and the article also emphasizes how this is often between two people that know each other.

You've understood enough by yourself when you translated the sentence as "to not oppose/going against" and while it's technically correct, the nuance is more that they do not want to break off relationship (meaning not just become enemies, being neutral also works) or form a negative karma. You can say "opposing" depending on the full context but it really means ending your current relationship to form a different type of relationship, usually a bad one.

"굳이 그들과 척을 질 필요는 없지만 그들과 교분을 나눌 이유도 없 으니 상대할 이유가 없소이다.”
    This quote shows more of the original meaning. When the person here says "척을 지다" it doesn't really mean enemies, it's more of bad/awkward relationship..

Miss Ruby likes this.
  4. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you both so much! I have changed it to becoming enemies. I knew there was more to it than just 'opposing' but couldn't find more. This was extremely helpful:blobsmilehappyeyes: