Question [KR] Infinite Competitive Dungeon Society

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by dweenator, Apr 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already dislike how it is written based on the perspective of the MC.

Anyways, i wanted to read another 'solo leveling' type of novel since translations are incomprehensible past 158 chapters(translated).

Based on the title alone it fits the bill but i have two concerns.

Will the MC stay stupid? or ignorant? will the author force this thing until the end?

Also, will the dungeon stay like it is? like some sort of portal through the phone only and not like in solo leveling where dungeons physically exist in the modern world?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    the novel starts off all rightish but it starts to get a lot more boring and dull halfway through. Never did finish it. Monsters and stuff overlap with the real world later if I remember

3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    eventually he also trains his brain, (it is also a muscle) and dungeon and world do mix up
    if you read any other toy car work , you will know what to expect

4. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tutorial is too hard also fits the bill but I don't really know what happened to the site that was translating it.

5. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    Will the writing style change?

I can deal with stupid mc's. CN novels have plenty of that tbh.

The thing i can't deal with is reading a story on the pov of a stupid mc.

Its like reading a mental patient's journal. 'today i ate a rock'. ok.

edit: this reminded me of why i tend to avoid KR novels. There's just this nagging feeling i get when reading pov stories, they just feel 'second rate' or 'amateurish' or 'incomplete', it's like i'm not reading a story at all but a journal of sorts. not to be insulting kr authors as they really make sick manwha's/webtoons. Too bad the written materials are not up to par save for a few kr novels.

6. Inraviel

Inraviel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want something some smarter MC, then you can try Everyone else is a Returnee
    The same author, but really liked MC's logic to foreshadow every next trouble.

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    They attempted to license it and got shot down so they had to take it down.

First point of view stories are a double edge sword, they are more immersive than 3rd person point of view, but at same time if your thought process doesn't align with the MC too much, it can have the opposite effect. There is nothing "amateurish" about it.

That said, if I remember correctly, Infinite Competitive Society is the author's first work (or at least one of their first, but first as far as translated works go). So it will obviously be inferior to future works like EER and Stop, friendly fire

8. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not the writing style of first person POV that is amateurish per se.

but it's just the execution of it.

My first experience of KR novel was Moonlight sculpture.

I actually started with anime->manga->lightnovels(jp - this is where i got introduced to kr as there was lms in the site for japanese light novels). From there i branched out to search for more KR novels like lms simultaneously i found royalroadl. Then i found wuxiaworld(coiling dragon, this was my first CN novel ever).

If i compare CN and KR novels so far, if we compare trash CN novels to trash KR novels then the difference is big. Because the 'trash/garbage' part of CN novels are often about cliche/plot/storyline/characters but the writing style is decent, in KR novels, its almost all of it, there's no redeeming quality. This is why although some of CN novels that are really popular and have thousands of translated chapters are 'trash' in terms of plot and storyline, they are still flocked b readers thus translators keep translating them at fast speeds, compared to kr novels that often get dropped midway even for decent ones.

It's also the way they write the novels tbh. I tried to compare the webtoon version and the written version.

The little nuances that are in the webtoon are often not in the written version.

Since its easier to draw the situation, in the written version it often goes like this(sample conversation).

'hi'

'hello'

"how are you?'

'im fine and you?'

Things in the background/situation arent included and you're only left to read what the characters say. They're often one liners. compare this to Kr novels translated by wuxiaworld where the story flows better with more description.

I'm actually searching for more kr novels as we speak, there are some novels that are half one liners and half descriptive(it's bearable) but i avoid those one liner kr novels. Right now i'm just rereading seoul station necromancer, i'll probably reread kr novels i have read already. There are a few new ones i havent read though like solo leveling and master hunter k. Atleast master hunter k is completed, some of the ones i would like to read are incomplete.

Problem with translated KR novels, although on average they only last for 200-300 chapters, it seems to take them years to complete compared to cn novels with 2k-3k chapters, then again i have no right to complain as i'm a leecher. It's just sad some people are grabbing works to translate then abandon them midway or do them half-assedly.

If i knew how to read/write/speak in chinese and korean and japanese, i'd probably try my hand on translating but i have more pressing matters to attend to than learning those 3 languages.

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    But again, things like LMS, this dungeon society are all early KR works. Do remember that the KR web novel industry is much newer than both JP and CN. If you look at later novels written by same author as dungeon society, there are a lot better. They still have their flaws but regardless, they are written far better.

Ah, no. You do realize there are over 1 billion people that speak Chinese compared to 71 million that speak korean. That is 14X difference! So obviously Chinese translation would overshadow KR ones.

Not to mention a lot of people prefer having consistent fast releases over quality, so CN novels doing 2-5 chapters per day gets people hooked.

It's also why people prefer qidian's reliable translations despite lower quality over better fan translations that don't release as often.

I'm not sure I follow, care to give an example?

Invisible Dragon :p

KR novels having 200-300 chapters isn't a problem. Most KR chapters are larger and have more actual content. That is because KR is paid per chapter, so authors try to include as much content in each chapter as possible. And they end the story when it needs to come to an end. CN novels get paid by the word, so most chapters are filled with word spam. More happens in 1 chapter of a KR novel than 10 chapters of a CN novel.

Of course KR novels have a lot of junk too, but overall from personal preference, I've preferred KR novels over CN ones due to MCs being more "middle ground". Of course there are plenty of KR novels I don't like either.