Laptop Choices

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Dgtal12, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Dgtal12

Dgtal12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm planning on buying a gaming laptop that will be used for both gaming and office work (documents and multitasking). The specs available from my choices (same laptop model) are:

1. i7-7700 with 1060 6gb
    2. i7-8750 with 1050 ti 4gb

Which would be the better choice?
    Games that I plan to play are mostly offline single player games (RE7, COD Campaigns, etc.). Thanks!

Fahmfir likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the better cpu :blobReach:

3. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On top, you can technically play vr game, 1080p max settings, or 1440p low settings with 60hz refresh rate minimal.
    On the bottom, you will get gpu bottlenecks for gaming, but for productivity such as graphic designs and video rendering, the bottom one should be better

4. kuroba

kuroba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first one is better for gaming. And 7th generation is still good enough for office work

5. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    I plan to buy laptop with the same specs
    I'll leave my tactical dot here

6. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Gaming bottleneck nowadays more on GPU than CPU.
    For normal work and non resource intensive game i5 is already enough.

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you provide a link to the laptops? Other laptop specs, like display resolution and refresh rate, should be taken into consideration when choosing your GPU. In the same vein, will you be using an external monitor with your laptop?

Are you going to use the laptop for anything other than gaming? Especially, will you be using the laptop for CPU intensive tasks like streaming, video encoding, compiling code, etc?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  8. Ars Nova

Ars Nova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would prefer the i7 gen7, but it's up to you. i7 7700 should do more than enough for productivity tasks, and the 1060 will help you a lot.

Although if i was just looking for productivity i would try to have a peek on AMD U-series chips too since AMD chips often excel at productivity-related tasks (on PC chips though, i don't really know about mobile chips).

Edit: Don't forget to look at battery life and service though :blobjoy: It's actually one of the most important things to consider when buying a laptop since it's hard to modify the insides.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AMD's current lineup of mobile CPUs is weak when compared to Intel's H lineup. Hopefully, that will change with the new Ryzen Mobile line of processors due out later this year. For now though, AMD shouldn't be a consideration against the H SKUs from Intel when choosing a laptop.

10. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i7-7700 with 1060 6gb but if I were you go for ryzen laptops. same performance but cheaper

11. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please refer to my comment just above yours. There are currently no Ryzen mobile processors in the same class as the 7700HQ and the 8750H. Ryzen's U series of processors stack up well against Intel's U series dollar-for-dollar, but Ryzen only has U series SKUs. The H series is a high-power laptop CPU, and AMD has no answer for it in the mobile space.

12. TooLazyToThink

Reading List:
    Link

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's comparing a laptop with an Intel I7 7700 HQ laptop processor to a laptop with an AMD R7 1700 desktop processor. Not apples-to-apples.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Warranty service is probably more important than specs. At least get SquareTrade Accidental damage protection

15. TooLazyToThink

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though its a desktop processor, amd still puts it in a laptop and a laptop is mobile. That's my answer. Enough said.

16. Dgtal12

Reading List:
    Link
    1. http://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/asus-rog-scar-edition-gl503vm/

2. https://www.excaliberpc.com/675442/asus-rog-strix-gl503ge-rs71-scar.html

I won't be using an external monitor. Aside from gaming, I will be using it as my daily driver but not very much CPU intensive tasks. Maybe some coding but mostly for documents, browsing, office works and the likes.

17. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fine. Compare the R7 1700 to the i7 8700 or the 7700 desktop processor, which you can also find in some laptops. The 7700 and the 8700 outperform the 1700 in nearly every game.

I'm not saying that Ryzen processors are bad. They're a great value. What I'm saying is that there's no H series SKU for Ryzen. That being the case, if you compare Intel's laptop processors and Ryzen's laptop processors, AMD has no competing mobile processor at the high-end. The fact that the video you provided is pitting a full-blown desktop processor squeezed into a laptop with an actual laptop processor is proof enough of AMD's lack of presence in the space.

18. Dgtal12

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm only able to consider locally available choices and those two were the best that I've found in my area within my budget. :D

19. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to wait a bit Asus gonna release Hero II and Scar II version soon (2018)

20. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When comparing the 7700HQ and the 8750H, you need to be aware of the tradeoffs between the two. They are both produced on the same process node and with nearly identical microarchitectures. They also share the same TDP. That means that while you get fewer cores with the 7700HQ, you'll get higher sustained all-core frequencies with the 7700HQ's 4 cores compared to the 8750H's 6. So, in tasks where you won't make full use of the 6 cores on the 8750H, you'll likely notice better performance on the 7700HQ.

For nearly the last 10 years, games have been developed based on the assumption that a processor would have a maximum of 4 cores. If you're lucky, the game was optimized for 6 or 8 simultaneous threads, but most games made even today only utilize about that many. As games are designed around the new paradigm of 6, 8, or even higher core-count CPUs, you'll start to see more benefit from lower all-core frequencies but more cores. For almost all games in existence today, you're more likely to get better or equivalent performance from the 7700HQ. For games made a couple years from now, the 8750H will likely be a better performer.

Now, let's take a look at GPUs. The 6GB version of the 1060 outperforms the 1050ti on every metric but power consumption. Since you're looking for a gaming laptop, I assume power consumption isn't a huge concern. That being the case, there's not much to talk about on this front.

For gaming right now, the 1060 with the 7700HQ is a better choice. For games made in the coming years, you'll see a performance uplift from the 8750H, but the large disparity between the 1050ti and 1060 likely means that the 1060, even with the 7700HQ, will perform better in games even in the future.

If your only concern is gaming, the laptop with the 1060 will serve you better.

As far as displays go, I'm not going to look up in-depth reviews that compare panel quality. Since they're both 120 Hz panels, they're probably decent quality. Also, since they're 120 Hz panels, you'll get the full use out of the 1060, which can achieve higher than 60 fps in many titles at 1080p.

Looking past the display, the 7700HQ+1060 laptop comes with better storage options (256 GB NVMe + 1 TB HDD vs 1 TB SSHD) and double the memory (albeit at a lower frequency).

Taking everything into consideration, the laptop with the 7700HQ+1060 is the clear choice for gaming. If you plan to do a lot of work that takes advantage of the extra cores provided by the 8750H, there's a case to be made for it, but if you only care about gaming, the 7700HQ+1060 is your best bet.

Dgtal12 likes this.