Laptop Quality

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Neiri, May 25, 2021.

1. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is durable but cheap brand. I really don't trust rating sites cause they might be shills.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    even from the same brand, laptop build differs in quality. it is not unheard of, of an expensive laptop that has build quality that is less than average. though one name comes to mind when looking for entry-level, cheap laptop - Acer

rather than rating sites, it is best to just directly google the model you're eyeing for, and hopefully someone somewhere did an acceptable review/test/experience sharing on it.

what is the cost range your budget, if i may ask? if it is not high, then try to go for previous gen rather than latest. laptops gets discounted over time, so you might actually get a better overall build than the latest one at the same price.

Milanin likes this.
  3. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    If I were you, HP the one to go for.

Been using HP for a long time. it's reliable and durable.

4. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now, there's a worldwide semiconductor shortage, so all laptops are more expensive than before (or sold out).

Generally, when buying a laptop, it's good to decide what exactly are the specs you can't do without. For instance, how much ram do you want? How much storage space? SSD? Or are you fine with an eMMC? What kind of ports do you want on it? A lot of cheaper laptops only come with mini-ports or no ethernet port, is that a deal breaker for you? What exactly is your price range?

And, yeah, most brands have a "budget" line and a "high-end" line. It just depends on what kind of brand you prefer.

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on which as well. I am also a HP user but durability is very different from model to model.

The bulkier the more durable.

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    The person I go to here for hardware advice is @xiazixin

7. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *look at my hp laptop that fan is making a generator noise after replacing it two times in a span of a year * nope

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah a lot of HP stuff is anything but durable. Like plastic case breaking in your hand atrocious.

Make sure that you definitely want the portability of a laptop, a custom made desktop is always the superior option in both budget and specs.

9. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As some one who repairs multiple acer laptops though out the year, Acer products are horrible.
    Acer Pros and cons

Cons.
    • All kinds of standards if charging headers, 5.5*1.7(niched), 3.0*1.1(niched), why cant they make 5.5*2.5 the standard like all other brands and OEMS.
    • Horrible mixing memory modules. Mixing not only different Dies but even Dies made my different manufacture, compromise stability.
    • Horrible After market parts for replacement. (almost none existing)
    • Horrible warranty coverage. (as bad/worst as/than gigabyte warranty)
    • Horrible Bios with none existence updates.
    Pros.
    • Cheap.
    • Global Marketing (you can buy almost anywhere.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP.
    My memories of HP is still stuck at 10 years ago. where other brands will add a layers of heat insulators below the "C" chassis the laptop casing which is where keyboards are. And it's really hot to the hands while long hours/intense workloads when using the keyboards and mouse pads. Overall the its products are horrible. They cheap out on some unexpected place.

HP PC are quite rare here. though their printers are good. I have repair one of those.
    Their printer are highly recommended if they still retains their printer quality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommendations.

Not going to recommend MSI now, cause now Lenovo R7000 currently is really cheap, And their build is some what solid. However almost every web store I sees been sold out. currently at my location, (kinda make me questions their existence like 3080) lenovo can complete with some Clevo brandings like Thunderobot and Hasee for the same specs at a similar price. this is unthinkable.
    Even I building my own barebones couldn't complete with Thunderobot and Hasee even without the warranty, and going private methods for Rams and SSDs, lenovo can made their laptops similar price with similar specs, better looking than the clevo models.

Lenovo provides 3 years warranty, Unlike building your own Clevo (your the warranty). A Large amount of replacement parts in aftermarkets, only slightly less than Clevos.
    Horrible Bios.
    If your Local store still have R7000/R9000k and the price are good, it's recommended.
    upload_2021-5-27_1-20-15.png
    Every digital store I check is sold-out or pre-orderings.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    others
    Branded Clevo like Thunderobot and Hasee
    . Also provides 3 years warranty. Most of their models are cheaper than you building your self. (I could come close to it. with My methods of getting parts directly from OEMs but not a lot cheaper)
    They usually have a decent screen, wont be top tier but its better then most laptop screen. (1080p 72%NTSC 144HZ IPS) is their classic screen for almost every models. Decent ram sticks, wont have the issue of mixing die. Horrible dramless SSD (classic). Other than that it's a solid Clevo with a brand on top. Though they only have warranty locations in china, you have to prepare international shipping if your outside china. (although Clevo hardly breaks and you can most likely repair your self with after market parts replacements.)

Self assemble Clevos
    (no logos on laptops), Zero warranty's. your all alone with after market replacement parts or online forums. A lots of helpful people online will actuarily help you repair for free except tiny cost of replacement parts. Heavy Modded parts are everywhere.

Quirks
    Amazing heat pipes and cooling fins on almost every models, but with horrible fans with little numbers of blades. Clevo have Created job opportunities for Fans replacements, and there is a huge markets for it.
    (look at such a little amount of fan blades below for such a high end cooler.)
    [​IMG]
    Highest end models of Clevo, x170.
    you can put a 10700k or 10900k and 3080 in it. It's PCIE 4.0, with 3 M.2 slots, 4 sodimms memories sticks. supporting up to 128GB of ram.
    When hit with a workload of 240Watts. (CPU 100Watts, GPU 140Watts) it have a temperature of 97*C on cpu and 72*C on GPU when normal thermal paste is used.
    This laptop can benefit from Aftermarket fans and liquid metal thermal compounds by quite a bit.

Currently X170 sold by Hasee with 3080 mxm graphic, 16GB of ram,
    1080p 72%NTSC 144HZ IPS display (classic), 11700k, 1TB of nvme SSD cost about little less than 3000 USD. Though honestly with the CPU cooling performance of this laptop its better with an 11600k, and probably saved 200 USD. (it's near impossible for me to get a 3080mxm)

up can also add additional 900USD aftermarket for a 4K mini-led display, like the video above.

thanks for the invites.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem. I knew you were the man for the job. I highly recommend following this advice.
    I wish you luck OP