Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you are seeing Vandalieu from a neutral or even favorable point of view. Arda sees Vandalieu as the Demon King, a being of evil who wants to destroy or dominate Lambada. Do not forget that for Arda all the new races of Vida are "mistakes" because they are not races created before the Demon King appears and must disappear to bring the world back to its original state with the monsters.

2. Rice Rice Gravy

Rice Rice Gravy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't trust Kanako not one bit especially that part about how she brain wash people to be her fan. That is pretty mess up right there.

3. Lanay

Lanay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What, Van already does the same (albeit unintentionally) with the ghoul, entire Talosheim' zombies, and vampire enemies like Elenora with Death Enticement. Kanako is nothing compared to him.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kanako is dangerous, but in a good way. Despite wanting to be an idol (and having done it to some degree) she isn't some innocent and delicate flower. She knows the idol business is a dog-eat-dog world and that to be sure to succeed she couldn't simply rely upon talent and hope for the best, but I don't think she over-used or overly relied upon her ability. So I think she's more of a realist than the vast majority of the Bravers (or ex-Bravers) who I think have gotten overly used to an easy life.

Incidentally, when she was 13 on Origin she encountered a big shot in the entertainment business who was a real paedophile - he tried to have sex with her in exchange for favourable support but she replayed a previous example to him instead. It seems she encountered trouble a lot on Origin and actually felt that Rodcorte's blessing was more like a curse.

As Lanay points out, Van is far worse in regard to mental manipulation. Also, as far as I can tell, Kanako's ability can only affect what people are feeling/seeing at the time - I don't think she can change their past memories or feelings or permanently change them. In other words, it's a bit like an illusion that can also affect their feelings. Well, she can copy/paste skills into people as well, so it's a bit hard to tell the limits of her ability. As far as I'm aware, she's hasn't used her Venus ability to manipulate anyone around Van.

Miaka_Mei and Korleone like this.
  5. DragonkingKyo

DragonkingKyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Van charm isn't that bad it mostly give people a very good impression of him unless they are dead or undead they are less affected by it the prove is the pure blood vampire hate him until they died then they admired him. so as long as your not dead or undead it only affects those who have a chance at liking him but if someone hates him it has no effect unless their are dead. Heinz on the other hand some how got those religious fanatic who hated him to suddenly like him now that means that he can brainwash people too.

6. imaginator

imaginator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She did used Venus to people around Van. Tho just to transfer her experiences in singing and dancing to make them gaining the skills easier.

7. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said: As far as I'm aware, she's hasn't used her Venus ability to manipulate anyone around Van.

Miaka_Mei and Korleone like this.
  8. Lanay

Lanay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, from what I've read here, Kanako sounds like a fun character. Can't wait till she's appearing more prominently in the translated chapter.

Also what the fuck with mahou shoujo jobs lol. It seems that Darcia and Zadiris had it, what does it do?

9. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A job introduced by kanako. It's basically a magical girl job

10. Lanay

Lanay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What, so they can transform into cutesy dress, staff/wand and whatnot? lol

11. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup and the production part is done by van and apparently it gives a pretty big boost to stats

Leo William, xshugox and Lanay like this.
  12. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll be 2 years in-world before she meets Van in the translated chapters unfortunately - it doesn't happen until the start of the 9th arc. I think she shows up in about 1 chapter in each of the 7th and 8th arcs.

It doesn't do anything special that I remember but it's a high end job that gives a good boost to your stats.

It wasn't introduced by Kanako - she introduced the "idol" ones. It's really Van who was the cause of this (like with ninjas) and Zadiris gets both the "mahou shoujo" title and jobs during the 8th arc - it's glossed over in the story itself but there's various details in the character summary at the end.

Basically, Van uses those magical metals he has made previously to create a transforming mage staff. As in it changes shape from a staff to clothes (it doesn't change mass or appear out of nowhere, purely changes shape). Since there's not much material the clothes are rather skimpy, but also have frills/ribbons for "reasons" (ie Van thought they were cute). So Van created it and Zadiris popularised it (rather to her regret)

Lanay likes this.
  13. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for correcting me. I just kind of attribute all of the otaku/anime tropes/stereotypes to Kanako

14. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably easy to forget how recently she got to Talosheim. But then again, this is the character who deliberately tried to enact the "cute and diligent little sister who wakes up her sleepy-head older brother" trope scene... (only to be shocked on finding Van half-submerged into Legion because he'd had a nightmare).

I dunno what most readers think but I like how Van sometimes goes in some very weird or unusual directions with his abilities and so on. In some ways him creating a support staff that simulates a "mahou shoujo" is actually a fairly logical development of his powers. Though if you consider it's entirely dependant on death attribute magic, it could be considered rather creepy. Personally I find it absolutely hilarious that the first "mahou shoujo" on Lambda is a ~300 year old ghoul grandmother. Visually it's not really a problem (since Zadiris is pretty cute and shoujo-like in apperance) but she's still a ~300 year old ghoul grandmother! :aww::blobangel::blobcheeky:

15. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    That scene is why Kanako is one of my favorites. I have to agree with you on how Van usually takes some weird routes in developing his abilities which is a reason I'm so fond of this series. I really like a lot of what happens to Zadiris in the raws, from the multiple princess race titles to asking why she can't be queen. I think the Ghouls are my favorite race that follow Van.

I know its kind of off topic but its kind of bothered me for a bit that it seems like a lot of the supporting cast can disappear for an expended period of time without mention.

Miaka_Mei likes this.
  16. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the ghouls have some of the best characterisation. I think it helps that we see them in their "natural" environment for an extended period.

It's not ideal.

I guess you could say that this is the flip side of Van being a "king" type character. He's not leading a party as a sort-of "first amongst equals", he's leading a nation as the absolute ruler. It's a similar thing in terms of abilities - it's not like he's the best at everything but in many areas he completely outclasses the other characters. He also has plenty of strong fighters on his side and can afford to pick and choose.

I suspect this is part of the reason why the author had Darcia become a saint and so on.

PS F5 F5 F5 F5 F5... (3 minutes later) HIT!

Leo William likes this.
  17. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems we don't have a title for the arc yet... but looks like Van will be multi-tasking a bit - he wants to keep the momentum going that he's built up in the town/region... but the possible location of a certain sealed goddess is considerably more important.

18. FussyBadger

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're right on the part about the ghouls. They have had the most time in the spotlight as well as a whole arc in their natural habitat.

Darcia presents an interesting situation. I think the author wants her to stand on her own so he made her into a saint rather than her becoming part of Van's fighting force. I think the author is trying to split things by having Darcia make a more religious/cultural impact on Lambda where as Van is going to be the path of fighting and war.

I really had trouble with this chapter. I didn't get much of anything since there was a lot of dialogue but I did get the fact that Van has a new goal of unsealing the water god

Miaka_Mei likes this.
  19. Claus

Claus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This chapter was shorter than I would like, but it was a good chapter in its own way. To Kanako's happiness, she finally made her debut in human society, but to the unhappiness of Zadiris and Melissa they also debuted.
    I am particularly liking that crazy light ghost, "I am the light, HAHAHAHA", I like how characters strangers behave near the Vandalieu.
    Now Vandalieu has managed to register in the trade guild, the wizard, the adventurers (guess) and the tamer without having to show status. He by the way many things to do still, so I'm curious how everything will happen in the future.

20. Lanay

Lanay Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3 centuries old mahou shoujo-hime loli-baba. Can Zadiris be more perfect?:blobokhand:

Leo William likes this.