Learn how to rate things properly

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mnotia, Sep 16, 2018.

?

Do you agree with this degenerate?

1. FUCK YEA, IM TIRED OF ALL THESE HALF ASSED RATINGS

53.3%
  2. Nah, if a stories shit Imma say its shit

40.0%
  3. Logoff, you degenerates.

10.0%
  4. Only soybois give reviews

10.0%
  5. Are we gonna start a crusade brothers?! DEUS VULT

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Im sorry to say this but almost 1/3 of the people on NUF don't know how to rate stories. Like seriously.

An example is this. Dude only read 5 chapters....5 CHAPTERS!!!! If you're going to review a story please at least read 20 chapters, ok? I really hate to see these low amount read reviews mainly because if you've only read a low amount of the chapters then you read a low amount of the story.

I understand that people will stop reading a story as soon as it irritates them to read it but you can't just stop and drop a rating just because the MC did something you don't agree with.

Also, if you think the MC is arrogant then thats OK!! Maybe the author wrote the MC to be arrogant. Maybe the author wants the MC to be a soyboi. Maybe the author wanted the MC to make a stupid mistake so he could learn from it. Just because you don't agree with what the MC is doing means you can shit on the story as bad writing. Yes, I absolutely agree that some stories are absolute trash but you should at least take the time to read like 20 chapters then you can shit on the story.

For the love of god, if I see another review that has like 7 chapters read then the reviewer is complaining how if they were the MC they would do something else. THE MC IS A CHARACTER THAT YOU ARE READING ABOUT NOT AN ACTUAL PERSON! Characters will act different from an actual person because you can't truly capture the mind of a person onto paper unless you're writing about yourself. If you are writing about yourself how would you know if your mindset was normal?

All in all, I'm just saying this:

1. Read 20 chapters
    2. Don't put yourself in the characters shoes because they have a different thought process because of the author
    3. Don't hate because the MC did something you disagree with like murdering a bunch of babies for exp
    4. Only hate if you read past 20 chapters and the stories still shit
    5. Don't lower a rating because they killed a character you liked (maybe?)

Theres 2 votes

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Risus, Hegao, ChickenBakuba and 10 others like this.
  2. Kudaranai

Kudaranai                                                   

Reading List:
    Link
  3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough. I mean, I saw a 1 star review on 'Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man' that literally said "Actually this isn't 1/5 at all. I just want to lower the rating a little bit."

I mean, sure. Except, what?

Just rate what you think the story deserves. Don't rate it low because you want to drop the rating. Just, what? I mean, the other side applies. Don't rate it a 5 if it's at 3.7 just because you think it deserves a 4. That's why the entire rating system is 80% 5's and 19% 1's. Jeez.

But also, power-hungry MC killing babies for XP is a bit too edgy. I'd probably rate that down. ._.

Risus, anyudr, smellymayo and 5 others like this.
  4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's perfectly legitimate to give a story a terrible rating after reading 5 chapters.

5. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    welcome to the internet where people are half-assed and opinionated and believe they are entitled to their opinions. ratings are entirely opinionated too, so get used to 5-star ratings on utter garbage just because some people like to read shit and have no standards to speak of.

Course... this is all just my opinion.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know we were supposed to follow a guideline when rating. While I don't seek out stories from genres I dislike just to rate them low, but I am definitely going to give low ratings to a novel I didn't like for whatever reasons. Ratings are subjective.

I do agree it's premature to rate from the first chapter, but with some novels u need not read more than 10 chs to find them to be poorly written.

Just my 2 cents.

7. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I agree. If he got so quickly bored and dropped it, he could've given a bad rating on just that, but he elaborated every single point like he read the whole thing and can now give a professional opinion. I mean, if you've only read that much, write a review that only entails that much.

Grammar is not something you can blame on the novel since it is translated by fans online. Writing is something you can judge by only 5 chapters, and uniqueness of writing is something I believe he did right by rating cause that means how much it was able to get him interested in the story. But a rating on the plot is completely something he shouldn't have done cause most stories have the first couple of chapters be the character introduction or something. The plot doesn't start to kick in till some ways into the story.

I whole heartedly agree with you, but he isn't completely wrong in his ratings either. He brings up some good points.

Miaka_Mei and Mnotia like this.
  8. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    are you serious

9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I r8 8/8 m8.

Drake888 and Mnotia like this.
  10. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. You can easily see that some stories are garbage within the first 5 chapters.

11. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care much about this rating, but I give u my support. :cookie:

12. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    very serious, chapter count has no bearing in deciding when someone can rate a story. some stories are 1k+ chapters others are oneshots or end within 30 chapters.

if a story has only 5 chapters, the person is entitled to rate and review no matter how far they got through it. just as you cannot force somebody to read 200 chapters of a 3.5k+ chapter story just so they have enough to complain about.

people value their time differently, and the are entitled to share their distaste and disappointment as soon as they feel it has been wasted.

I would love to see you tell somebody to wait until chapter 20 in a 22 chapter long story.

13. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just thinking about something like The Lazy King. It's 16 chapters long. It's not like the author's writing style or something is going to drastically change. You'll know if you like it or not by then easily.

Drake888 and TiggerBane like this.
  14. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried to read Emperors Domination. the story was utter shit and the plot just kept using the same patterns in repetitive loops, yet I read on quite a bit to see if it improved. the story would still have been crap and I would have quit but then I would know the author improved as they went along.

I was disappointed once more as it never did, yet that series is utterly massive and still somehow has a following despite being complete garbage. I could have quit at chapter 10, chapter 25 or even chapter 50, but i went until between 80-120 and still nothing improved, any of those points would have been equally justified.

16. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    5 Is not acceptable

The story could be a legit tragedy and the first 5 was actually just the MC's mind going crazy then the rater is basically baited into rating a low even thought they truly haven't gotten into the plot

And if it's a 22 chapter story why not read it? I agree if the stories short then rate it at some of the chapters but I can't agree with adding the rating of "Uniqueness of the story". How exactly can you call a story unique when almost a lot of novels are the same? There are some stories I qualify as unique but those have gotten horrible ratings because it's "Uniqueness" was hated by the reivewers.

But talking about the rating of 5, the story has over 70 chapters and the stuff actually happens at like chapter 12 so I don't really understand why you would rate a story that low just because you "feel " like it will have qualities of something in the future. THE FUTURE IS UNDECIDED!! You can't rate a story a 1 star cause you feel that in the future it'll have a harem and follow one of my tropes ( I legit made a post listing the tropes of stuff so go check it out) WHEN IT HAS NEVER EVEN HAPPENED!! It makes no sense to rate something based off of a feeling of something that might never happen.

I do understand that people have their own opinions but at least don't half ass a rating.

I really like how this thread is going because were discussing so keep up the work my comrades.

17. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is your "opinion" everyone has one so this is just a waste of time in my opinion cuz do you really think they will be like
    oh man someone said to get my shit together on the internet so I'm gonna now go and just do that (.-.) well you can imagine what you want tho cuz that is just an opinion

18. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I can give a rating. That's none of your business but I agree with you but change rating to reviews. It depends on me to change my prior rating. I don't rate stories that i dont like the first chapters because I don't want to ruin it for the people who like the said story.

Miaka_Mei and Mnotia like this.
  19. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped peerless martial god at chapter 16 because I saw that he could just ignore the sect rules and kill his sect mates as he pleased without anyone enforcing the rules. I realized the story would probably be garbage at that point.

20. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    you word stuff weird and Im not trying to influence im just blasting my thoughts so it is an opinion in which the soviet union would find unnecessary to its cause.

Союз нерушимый республик свободных
    Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
    Да здравствует созданный волей народов
    Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Славься, Отечество наше свободное,
    Дружбы, народов надежный оплот!
    Знамя советское, знамя народное
    Пусть от победы, к победе ведет!

Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы,
    И Ленин великий нам путь озарил.
    Нас вырастил Сталин - на верность народу
    На труд и на подвиги нас вдохновил.