Let's build an island colony (Realistic RPG/Simulator)

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by lychee, Apr 21, 2018.

1. The Real Zero

The Real Zero Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    6am: I get off from the ship while giving my thanks to the crew that brought me to my new and fresh start. As I start looking around I see the government building to collect my +$100/day welfare and set off to the southwest to someplace named Pillar Forest(Though I would have named it the Creepy Devil's Coffi-ahem, ignore that)
    10am: After arriving I find a suitable flat area and set up camp.
    12am: As I finish setting up camp I see that the sun is directly above me and start to feel throat and hunger so I first find a good body of water and use my PWF to gather water for me to drink with my MRE(1/2 MRE eaten)
    1pm:Since there are plenty of trees around I go and climb them to break the branches off them and drag them to my camp.(+63 medium branches, +27 large branches)
    3pm: After bringing the branches back i take out my survival knife and start to sharpen each of the medium branches to implant into the ground around my camp to protect my things
    5pm:After setting up some "defenses" I explored the whole of The Cree-ahem I will try to fix that dark past of mine, so like I said I explored the whole of The Pillar Forest until I became familiar with it like the back of my hands.
    8pm: I look for water to use my PWF to get water for dinner.
    9pm:I eat the rest of my MRE while feeling sick of it on the first day, but I know that this is what I'll be eating for about another week before I start eating some of my own game.
    10pm: I feel the satisfaction from what I have accomplished and tired too, so I decided to hit the hey and prepare for the next day.
    Status: Healthy, Satisfied, Slight comfort (from special sleeping bag)
    Inventory: x1 PWF, x1 Climbing Pick, x11 Food Bars, x1 Survival Knife & Kit, and x1 First Aid Kit.(Other thing are put to the side or currently being used i.e. tent, sleeping bag etc.)

2. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (WORK IN PROGRESS)
    Name
    : Bob Bobbity Gender: Male

Food needs: 4000 kcal/day
    Water needs: 6 L/day
    Sleep needs: 6 hours sleep
    Hiking speed: 6 km per hour
    Carrying capacity: 54 kg

History: Optional, for those who like to roleplay.
    Bob lived in the US for the majority of his youth as a mail boy and boy scout, later in his teens he joined ROTC and after finishing the program joined the army where he fought in the great penguin uprising of 2009-2012, Then the subsequent great Emu Rebellion of 2012- 2016 where he learned many a great survival and fighting skills. After leaving the army, he joined a survivalist group as a medic, from 2017 - 2018, before he quit though, his friend in a small country invited him to live in a new area, one free from any existing government and so he accepted, spending the money he had made as part of the army to buy supplies.
    Personality: Optional, for those who like to roleplay.
    He's nice to everyone, but will not tolerate being disrespected.

Day 1.

I arrived at Port Town and brought with me one 25 kg box, containing:
    • One case of 12 3600 emergency food bars - (17 kg)
    • Emergency Blanket 0.0272155422 kg
    • lighter 0.167262 kg
    • Knife 0.907185 kg
    • Ponchos [4] 0.136078 kg
    • Waterproof Phone 0.283495 kg
    • Multitool 0.7983226 kg
    • Med Kit 5 Kg
    • [*]
      • Medical Kit Items
        [*]Tweezers, Kelly Hemostats, Trauma Sheers, Bandage Sheers, Penlight, Ammonia Ampules (10), Band-Aids (100), 4" x 4" Gauze Pads (50), 2" Roll Gauze (2), 3" Roll Gauze (2), 4" Roll Gauze (2), 2" Self-Adherent Bandage (2), 2" Elastic Ace Bandage (2), 5" x 7" ABD Pad (2), 8" x 10" ABD Pad (2), 1" Roll Cloth Tape, Iodine Wipes (10), Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes (10), Triple Antibiotic Ointment 1/2 oz, Instant Cold Packs (2), Eye Pads (2), Triangle Bandage (2) , Eye Wash Irrigation Solution, Exam Gloves (4), Universal SAM Finger Splint, Oral Glucose Gel, Adult Blood Pressure Cuff w/ Case, Sprague Stethoscope, CPR Mask, Oropharyngeal Airway Kit (6), Sting & Bite Relief Swabs (10), Vaseline Gauze (2), First Aid Guide, Quick Clotting Hemostat Gauze 4" x 4" (2), Dyna-Stopper Trauma Pressure Dressing, 12" x 30" Multi-Trauma Pad, Compressed Z-folded Krinkle Gauze 4.5" x 4.1yd, Israeli Pressure Bandage 4", First Aid Antiseptic Spray 2oz, Burn Spray 2oz, Adult BVM Bag, 36" Roll Splint, Emergency Foil Mylar Blanket.

[*]
    • 2x Pain killer 300 CT Each 0.3912234
    • TOTAL:
      24.7107815 Kg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. leegood

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee mind if I make the 25 kg a box with a lock on it? Like an ammo can

lychee likes this.
  4. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiyo! There were actually some changes to the rules since you last posted. One is that it actually doesn’t matter how much weight you bring, and you have $1500 to spend however you like.

So you could buy a locked box if you want. I guess cardboard boxes are free.

The second is that the supply ship comes on the 1st and 15th of every month.

5. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww::aww::aww: That's a fair analysis. Maybe you should join! As you mentioned, it actually isn't that hard to live on the island because all the pioneers get more than enough money to pay for all the food and other small supplies they need, and the weather is warm year-round anyways.

As for the shipping container, don't you have the ship the shipping container as well? The shipping costs are kind of expensive.

As for goods not being that expensive in Kiribati... actually it's kind of the opposite. The thing about third world countries is that locally produced goods are extremely cheap, but imported goods are expensive. Given that Kiribati is the poorest island country in the pacific with only a population of 50,000 people and notoriously horrible economy that depends primarily on tourism.

"The main exports are copra 62%, coconuts, seaweed and fish; and the main imports are foodstuffs, machinery and equipment, miscellaneous manufactured goods and fuel." source

Here's a quote from a blog I was reading:

It's kind of shocking that an international cost of living researcher was unable to get prices for the standard cost of living basket! I guess that explains why it's so hard to find prices of standard goods on the Internet. The best I was able to find was a relative "high/low" list, as as you expect, food is cheap and everything else is expensive.

I do agree with you that the kg limit is probably kind of low in terms of the "max" that people could lift.

It's probably best to think of it as the kg limit that you would be able to go hiking effectively with.

The kg limits are derived from UK's workplace lifting limits/regulations and it's meant to be a weight limit for repetitive lifting. I think airport baggage people aren't supposed to lift more than 25 kg on a regular basis and they have special this-or-that when it comes to lifting over-sized baggage.

abcalltheway likes this.
  6. abcalltheway

abcalltheway Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah thats true i didnt really find like anything about shipping containers online from Kiribati, also shipping the container shouldnt coet a lot right? I mean they can Place other stuff in it / imported goods, so it doesn't really Take up any space, otherwise it would indeed cost a lot + the dollars are Australian right? Since i Read its what they use right? But still enough lol, Me myself would Most likely go there if i got that Price :p like live there for 365 Days = 36 500 dollars like damn and thats after taxes well id reccomend buying rain gutters since it's not too ezpensive and you can use it as an aqueduct, if there is no bamboo that is #youtube primitive technology. So easy way to get water if some tarp and a water barell isnt enough, plus for the toilet and stuff lul, atleast the pee.

7. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I tried looking up tool rental places or barges for rental. Nothing. I’m sure their there, but can’t find a website. Same goes for Home Depo or Walmart. I’m sure their there or some equivalent.
    By the way I suggested your idea before with the whole cargo container, but I just can’t find one that’s in good condition and cheap.
    It all comes down to resources and time.

lychee and abcalltheway like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Saturday Apr-28 (sunny)

• 4am: I’m really hurting. I performed some yoga and a little warm up. If it’s like my first day the ship will be there at 6am. I have to get into range of the ships radio by then. I have two miles to clear before I reach the river. I’ve got to make it!
    • 6am: I made it! So tired. I contacted the captain and relay my needs. Than I took a long break and had breakfast. I also ask the captain if he would mind sending over the MRE I ordered now instead of with my whole order. He said he could do that and I thank him.
    make it!
    • 8am: The captain sent over his dingy to drop off the MREs. I thank my shipmate and wish him and his safe travels.
    • 10am: I am still resting trying to decided what to do next until my shipment comes in.
    • 12pm: After eating lunch. I have decided to go to my original camp site and try to get as much of that season wood I saw back there and take it back to home base.
    make it!
    • 4pm: I just got back to my old camp and started set up camp again. This week I decided to move as many season tree as I could to the shore. To be ship up to my base.
    • 6pm: It’s do able. I just finish surveying the area. There is a lot of wood. I’m probably only taking a fraction of it, but man that’s a lot of work.
    • 8pm: Had dinner and went to sleep.

$1,000 starting fee and $700 for a week being here. Total: $1,700

Sand bage $180 - 72lbs.
    Lining $81 - 10lbs.
    Water Pump $100 - 8lbs.
    Water hose $64 - 14lbs.
    Toilet paper $10 - 8lbs.
    Toilet bags $20 - 1lbs.
    Toilet seat $11 - 1lbs.
    Home Depo bucket (3) $9 - 1lbs
    Impeller $14 - 1lbs.
    Generator motor $120 - 3lbs.
    Inverter $22 - 1lbs.
    Breaker $11 - 1lbs.
    Extension cord $50 - 14lbs
    Chainsaw mil $215 - 8lbs.
    Chainsaw $100 - 12lbs
    Chainsaw sharpener $42 - 1lbs
    Shed $54 - 13lbs
    Nails $59 - 5lbs.
    Hammer $14 - 2lbs.
    Shovel $28 - 5lbs.
    Stove $50 - 27lbs.
    MRE $78 - 4lbs for 12 meals. So for a month MRE $234 - 12lbs.
    Cost: $1,488 Ship: > $242
    Total: $1,730
    Please understand even thou the total is over 30 dollars be aware that everything was rounded up. So any weight in oz. was automatically rounded up to a pound. That is also true for the cost. All cents was rounded off to the nearest dollar up. I should be fairly close to cost.

9. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Lychee,
    Do we pay before we receive our gear or do we pay when it gets here?

10. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I was thinking pay before, just like when you order online regularly on Earth.

If you think it should be different, I'm open to discussing.

11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Naw. That’s fine I was working under that impression anyway. Thanks.

12. The Real Zero

The Real Zero Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    6am: I woke up with the rising sun and I realized that tomorrow was the day of the ship's return and tried hard to remember what I could buy as I traversed the forest to find water to quench my thirst.
    7am: I found water and used my PWF to drink some water and after I filled it for dinner later making my way back to the camp.
    8am: I partially eat another food bar and save the rest for later. I then explore the forest more to see what it has to offer and to get more familiarized with area and travel faster in the forest. (Maybe I should make a map of the forest, well that would require paper &ink which I don't have so I save that idea for another)
    11am: I have explored and what I found so far are just some foxes and a couple boar, feeling kind of disappointed about how the creatures were like the ones back on Earth so I gathered water and returned back to camp to sharpen all the long branches so I could use them as spears.
    2pm: Finishing the spears I leave them to the side and contemplate if I should sell basic weaponry to those in need and maybe give some of my own personal survival lessons. I am within range of the radio tower so I place an order for a stack of x100 blank sheets of paper, x5 pens, x1 10m length of rope, x1 machete and x1 large bucket.(Estimated to about $86)
    3pm: Now I should make my fireplace. I put it off because I had no time before but now I can make it with plenty of time to spare while I look for common small rocks, and uncommon medium rocks to use.
    7pm: After spending 4 hours of my time to gather and make my fireplace I finish off my food bar and drink the remaining water in my PWF and do some r&r.
    8pm: I use this time to sharpen my survival knife using the kit it came with so that it doesn't dull.
    9pm: I contemplate about life and think of my plans for tommorow.
    10pm: I feel tired and exhausted so I decide to go to bed.
    Status: Healthy, Slight Discomfort(due to overwork), Satisfied.
    Inventory: x1 PWF, x1 Climbing Pick, x10 Food Bars, x1 Survival Knife & Kit, and x1 First Aid Kit.

13. abcalltheway

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a question, 2 Miles being brittish Miles isnt that only 3 kms or so? So why would it Take ya 2 hours to travel? Since you used pounds so. Or did you mean metric Miles :p

14. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally my character can roughly travel 10 miles in a day, but the last two days he travel more. So to compensate his tiredness. I let my character struggle the last few miles. Besides he still made it. So I’m not gripping. If you read my journal at 4am my character was hurting bad. It was because of the march across over 20 miles back to the river. That’s why he was slow.

15. abcalltheway

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok :) i would reccomend buying a motorbike, maybe some cheaper One and fuel for easy travel, except if you need to go across the river that is, hoppfully you could then go around?

16. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    My character background is similar to my background and that is I’m a merchant mariner aka sailor. So I’m leaning toward building a boat. I’m thinking of an outrigger style. With all the gear I ordered I’m going to need someway to transport it all. Also their is a lot of season lumber at my present location. I’m going to transport as much as I can to my base. I’m also considering getting sails for the outrigger on my next shopping spree.

lychee likes this.
  17. abcalltheway

Reading List:
    Link
    then get a 4 wheeler with a trailer so you can more easily get around and transport things, maybe even take the 4 wheeler with you if the boat is big enough and wont tip over, so you can explore more easily and if you find stuff you like more storage :) afterall transporting lumber and stuff is a lot easier with a 4 wheeler and some chains etc.

18. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the terrain I think.

The trouble with wilderness is that there's no roads or even trails. I don't think you could take a vehicle through a forest like that.

At the minimum, somebody has to clear a road through the forest, and at that point it would be a dirt/gravel road that is still rugged to that point that it would require some kind of all-terrain jeep. Driving through a forest with all of its undergrowth would otherwise basically be impossible.

Technically, the 3 miles per hour average hiking speed is ridiculously fast for a wild environment like Rift Island. The speed is really meant for people traveling on maintained trails and flat ground with light equipment. The presence of a trail makes a huge difference.

[​IMG]

Like imagine traveling on the dirt trail on the right, versus trying to wade your way through undergrowth as high as your thighs on the left.

19. abcalltheway

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i went accorring to the map and such a Forest i couldnt really see so :/ also i saw More temperate Forests and some tundra and flatlands at least on the map infront of Me :/ basically i could only see 1 such Forest which is where the red dot or the ship? Ancors and i meant a ATV as the 4 wheeler :p since where om from you call them 4 wheeler s xd. http://www.abiattachments.com/_assets_web/mobile-image-galleries/rebel/index16.html

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    lychee likes this.
  20. leegood

Reading List:
    Link
    But a $1000 starting fee then you would only have $700 to spend.

(Joking around, but I think it's called benefit or compensation money)