Discussion Let's discuss cheats!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by GabeZhul, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow you just summarised almost every webnovels :blobfearful:

ReadOrDie likes this.
  2. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    How about LUCK examples:
    1. Song Shuhang because of his luck meeting all kind of virtuous encounter and becoming one of the strongest in CCG series less than a year.
    2. Venerable White heaven destroying luck sumoning all kind of natural and bad luck to his enemy just because having bad intention to him.

3. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's actually a good point. Modern day knowledge, especially when the MC somehow has the ability to recreate modern technology either through his own power or by having his allies build them is indeed a cheat. I would say the same goes for more theoretical knowledge as well, such as modern economics in a world trapped in medieval stasis.

This is actually a bit of a grey area, if you ask me. It is kinda like the "spontaneous power-ups" that happen in a lot of shounen stories, where psyching oneself up gives the characters a last second boost in power. I'd say it's not really a cheat per se, but more like a bit a cliched plot-device that can border on deus-ex-machina, but it still stays within the internal logic of the setting. Now, if "nakama power" was actually used to accomplish outright impossible things, and only the MC and friends had access to it, they you could make a case, but as it stands, I'd say it's just your garden variety lazy writing.

nightcore34 likes this.
  4. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same as I wrote in the previous post: It's just bad writing, not an actual cheat that exists within the story.

I really don't know if luck/karma could be counted. I originally wanted to bring this up, with The Strongest Gene being an example of it, but on second thought, the "luck power" (which was more about probability-manipulation, really) was not only something that other people could also use (thus not out of context), but later it evolved into a system. That said, I find that most forms of luck/karma/probability-manipulation powers are not really cheats for the character, but for the writer, as they can do literally anything and get the MC out of literally any dead end the writer accidentally wrote them into.

5. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you want to discuss cheating stories or something. It turn out to be cheat skills. :blobdead::blobdead::blobdead:

6. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Being protagonist itself was cheating:blobsalute:

7. Boboverlord

Boboverlord Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that makes MCs to have any problem solved easily is considered a cheat. Only struggles and permanent sacrifices are acceptable as a plot device for me.

8. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Accomplishing impossible things and lazy writing can sometimes go hand in hand. :blobhero:

asriu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.