Looking for Co-Author

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by cmonson, Sep 4, 2019.

1. cmonson

cmonson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am wanting to write an ancient Chinese fiction, but am not adept at Chinese culture. I am looking for someone to go in after I have written a page to incorporate more culturally significant things, Chinese literature, sayings, metaphors, etc into the writing that fits with the story and scene.

Message me privately with a sample of your writing or knowledge on the topic!

2. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    perhaps just learn the culture yourself and have someone knowledgeable on the subject give you feedback occasionally?

on that note... why on earth would you try to write about something you know nothing of? that's just asking for hate and abuse when you share it and people aren't pleased with the result.

P.S: if nobody knows you yet, why would they apply to be your co-author??

cmonson likes this.
  3. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, reading a lot of chinese novels will already giving you most of the idea of their cultures, unless you want to write modern genre with real earth as the background, then you are going to need a lot of research... and if this is your first time writing, I suggest you tried to write a story with the culture you already familiar with, build your experience first.

cmonson likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan would just like to point out that getting a 'helper' for putting in Chinese stuff will be extremely difficult. Not even the Chinese people knows Chinese literature these days. Not all of it is because the CCP wiped out Chinese cultural heritage decades ago.

Literature is just boring to most people, the Chinese are no exception. And if you don't write with Chinese culture in mind from the very start, not even professional editors can save your story. The very core of your story will just be western with Chinese reference smattered in to make it a confusing mess. The editors won't even know where to start correcting you. You can't just turn a western into a Chinese fantasy. Chinese novels translated into English are still very decidedly Chinese even when you read them in English.

What you can expect however, are critics and haters. You can count on them griefing on you whenever they please. If you're so horrendously wrong with your Chinese culture comprehension, be prepared to be slammed hard. Chinese people are quite protective of what's 'theirs' (you can think of it as 'face'). Getting lots of "lol What a noob." or "This guys knows nothing about us." would be quite common and considered nice compared to what some people on Tieba would say.

cmonson likes this.
  5. cmonson

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally understand and respect what you said. My plan is to write it with Chinese culture in mind, but I would love the help of someone who could help ,for example, say ,"instead of calling her meimei, this is a more accurate term," or ,"yes polygamy was a thing and the concubines had different statuses, but this is how it was really structured, etc." I just know that I am imperfect and would love to collaborate with someone more knowledgeable then myself. I know that authors, scriptwriters, actors, etc do this all the time and have experts helping them along the way.

Ai chan likes this.
  6. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    rather than searching here, you should be looking to build connections with somebody who has made a career out of knowing chinese history and culture. they are perhaps the only ones who can give you the sort of advice you are looking for.

mostly you will still have to decide what to include depending on what period of china you plan to base it on. because making references across era's will also rile up the critics.

perhaps see if there is a university with chinese culture or history as a topic and see if you can reach out to the lecturers and build a strong rapport with one.

cmonson likes this.
  7. cmonson

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, I found this advice super helpful!

help