Mangadex User Database Leaked

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Jeebus, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From MangaDex Discord:

2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I always use a dummy acount for manga anime and other sites that aren't important. even if they get my gmail it's just the dummy email with nothing in it.

3. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    makes me remember mangatraders, the same thing happen and they shut down, it was the best manga download site back then.. i hate the people that do that..:blobangery:

4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bro that happened like 3 weeks ago, the site has been down since.

5. SuouNono

SuouNono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is old news lol. That's why the site is down rn

Miercing likes this.
  6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're retarded if you don't use throwaway accounts for websites.

xnvesha.14, Miercing and Geor like this.
  7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was posted in the last day.

There was no proof that the hacker would actually make it public. This is proof that the database really was accessed and distributed to other parties. If you haven't changed your password if you reused it anywhere, you really should do that now.

8. Trov

Trov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an update to that. The hacker does indeed have the database.

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    crap! does that mean my throw away burner email is now known?! Whatever will I do?

My biggest worry for mangadex is with all the reactive scripts they plan to add, its gonna take ages to load and eat ram like hot cakes.

10. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, 3 weeks ago there were threats of them being leaked. Now it has actually been leaked.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly the only reason why I use Mangadex is because most groups upload there first and the ability to follow ongoing manga. I'm perfectly fine using aggregates if I have to.

12. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I always used dummy account as well but I will just changed my password just in case

13. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can expect the first iteration of the next Mangadex to bloat since they use UI library Vuetify which alone takes over 500kb minified JS. They promise they'll strip that on the next iteration as the development goes by, but honestly from what I'm seeing since Mangadex's previous performance crisis and lurking devs convo from their discord channel for a while, it is obvious to me that Mangadex devs are not the most openminded devs to care enough about performance unless something got broken. They aren't being paid to code Mangadex and you can't expect them to do something they don't want to do anyway. If their frontend isn't the best for you, you can always create your own reader and pull images through their API; I did write one for personal use and pipe their oversized images through my own image optimization server back when they still didn't have data saver feature.

14. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You said the forbidden A word!

Personally, I prefer mangadex over some groups putting up their stuff on:
    1) Discord - why is this trash so popular? (It's like IRC, but with more bling and more annoying, but isn't that well suited for putting up manga)
    2) Instagram - Only a masochist would read on that
    3) Youtube - uhm, why? I tried to view some stuff there but it is pretty much impossible. The pacing of the video will never match a persons read speed. Even if you view it like a slideshow using travel keys its still a pain.

Hm... maybe, but it still sounds like a pain.

And yeah, the large images can be a problem for things like mobile connections. Datasaver may help a bit in that sense, but due to them choosing jpg last I remember the color images ended up as a blurry mess. There was a petition for webp support, but they unfortunately rejected that :/

15. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was vocal supporting WEBP back then too. They didn't even bother to at least look deeper if that could do them any good. MD@Home was pushed by a non-dev mod if I'm not wrong, was a pretty good solution for their lack of CDN, but now they don't have a decent plan for their constant server crashes which is still a thing back before they took the site down.

16. yuk13

yuk13 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been hanging here more since i cant read my manga coz of the issue.

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's considerably better than IRC tbh... IRC by default doesn't even archive messages... It's really an old relic that is somehow still alive to this day, yet has seriously fallen out of favor due to multiple options that are much better for the average user popping up since then.
    ... I'd even use chatango any day over IRC.

I do agree that discord is by no means a good place to put mangas in though.
    Well, basically every aggregator uses jpg and they don't have issues with colors... And I used MDex with Data Saver and also had no problems with the colors whatsoever... Dunno what issue you found, but I certainly didn't find it myself.

... And well, webp kinda sucks, it's not supported by default in some common image editing softwares, so it's really annoying if you want to download a pic to make a meme or something. I was pretty happy that their compression used jpg instead of webp, since I'd need to look up the manga in an aggregator if I wanted to download the page I wanted otherwise...

18. Deleted member 304540

Deleted member 304540 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It was expected but at least we know for sure now.

19. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Not archiving by default is kind of the point, who wants to leave a paper trail when you are in the grey area?

Of course you can if you want to.

The problem isn't jpgs in themselves. The problem was that to maximize datasaver, mdex set really high compression. And JPG compression starts creating blur artifacts at high compression levels. Maybe the set the compression levels to be lower to fix it later, but now you have larger files.

Many image editing software support WEBP. A person who has the know how to make a meme can figure out how to make it work.

Not to mention, when you copy and paste an image from the browser, it copies the raw pixdata, not the format. So as long as your browser supports it, you can use a WEBP or even AVIF even if your imaging software doesn't support it.

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but Paint doesn't, and Paint is lighter and faster than everything else, which is perfect for low-effort memes.
    Yeah, webp works fine when you copy and paste to other sites, but not when you download...