Discussion Mcs with crap for parents but why do you say the parents arent crap?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by EUGA, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading everyones comments i want to say i think your right abot the "worship thy elders"

But it irks me lets take coiling dragons for instance he did not get abbandoned and still was a great story i think its too unrealistic if i was abandoned as a baby by parents and grew up into super op person id make the parents pay tbh...and about the person talking about uncle trying to kill ive been reading worlds strongest dan god and mc is like meh w/e my uncle baks the pwople trying to kill me and helps them ill ignore it

2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has nothing to do with "elder worship" and everything to do with story

In coiling dragon Linley had a father who was there, but essentially didn't interact with him much, outside of some narrative info dump. In the end it was only after he left to go to school that the plot started moving along. The story can not move as long as the main characters are under the control and protection of someone more powerful than them, since any conflict that would motivate the character into action is more readily handled by their protector.

So you either get a force that,s stronger than the parent leading to absent parents (via death or capture)
    Or you get the child leaving the parents protection, again leading to absent parents.

The problem is that you are focusing on the self centered "boo-hoo poor me" mentality while ignoring that often times the characters parents have a legitimate reason for placing their child in the care of another.

3. Chronos5884

Chronos5884 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Swallowed Star, the problem is the parents were poor and doing their best. The son was doing his best to ease the burden on his parents. Due to his crippled little brother and ridiculously expensive housing, the parents were having major difficulties in order to try to take care of the kids. Luo Feng chose to earn money and use that to take care of his parents who did suffer quite a bit trying to make enough money to take care of the family.

As for Stellar Transformation, Qin Yu's dad is a bit of an asshole, but part of that was to protect his son as well. There was a short paragraph somewhere in those chapters where part of his reasoning was mentioned. Once the Qin clan went to war, there would be no peace for his son. Rather than let his son know about the culprit in the murder of his mother and make him miserable, he wanted his son to at least be happy while he made war preparations.

So he gifted his son the mansion he asked for and sent plenty of guards to keep that place safe. Whenever Qin Yu made requests, he did answer them, but Qin Yu never really asked for much. When Qin Yu got stronger, Dad was still trying his best to protect his son. His son would be helpless in ruling/strategy/warfare so he thought he'd let his son live out his days as pampered/spoiled noble kids. (Because Qin Yu wasn't supposed to be able to cultivate inner energy, his potential lifespan was pretty much guaranteed to be much shorter than that of his brothers and father too.)

TL;DR: Dad was going to war so he decided to send his helpless son that was doomed to never be useful to the best/most beautiful mansion to live out his days in peace and luxury. His useful sons would be able to protect themselves and assist dad, but the youngest (had Qin Yu never found the meteoric tear) would gain nothing from being involved in warfare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.