Discussion Me and a 4.8 rated novel- Sansheng

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Thousandswords, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Thousandswords

Thousandswords SWORD OF PENETRATION

Reading List:
    Link
    So, today I was going through the novel listings and I thought I should check the highest rated novels.
    There I found a 4.8 rated novel named "Sansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang". This particular novel had a great many people fangirling and showering it with riddiculous praises.
    So, I decided to give it a try ( bcos I was bored) and like always I decided to read the last chapter, it was the last of the 3 bonus stories, then I read some other chapters.
    I got to know this Moxi guy who is a god of war would do anything for his beloved wife, it was all good; he liked to spoil his wife and there was nothing wrong with that. He plotted and sent someone to sleep for a couple of millenniums because the person had a quarrel with his wife. But the in this last bonus story his wife who is the female protagonist said these exact same things as the reason of the quarrel,
    That said person (a goddess) was giving a trial for a man Sansheng knew, and the trial was that man Chang'an would fall into an unrequaired love with an older female Bai Jiu.
    So our female lead said,

“We mustn’t let Bai Jiu have such a yummy treat! Chang’an is such a delectable boy. If someone were to eat him, I’d have to have the first taste…”

I realized that this female lead desired to have sex with the "delectable boy" Chang'an and she said it infront of her husband. I judged that this particular female was probably a bit*h.
    And I thought of a terrifying possibility!
    There was a possibility that she tried very hard with her heart and soul to seduce Moxi who is god, so that she could one day be free from her tragic fate as a stone and be unbound from the underworld and become a fairy and a wife of a powerful god. She dedicated herself to achieve this goal, sacrificed much, but finally was successful. Now that she was successful in achieving her goal, it wasn't a problem anymore to taste some boys as much as she wanted!

And so, I again lost faith in the ratings and reviews and judged that it would be wise to stay as far away as possible from that novel. Some people have strange tastes.

2. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Yikes. Uh. Starting with the last chapter is a sure way to kill your rating of a novel. No matter how good the beginning was, you don't have any way of feeling the weight of the last few chapters if you just skip to them. I'd say it's less the taste of some people and more that you haven't truly read that novel.

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No wonder there are so many 1/5 ratings... People just read any random chapter, say it sucks, and give it 1 star.

Kana_SST, Shio, Fuyuneko and 2 others like this.
  4. TeaNinja

TeaNinja [Chuunikage of the Hidden Teapot Village]

Reading List:
    Link
    Read this a long time ago. Started to reread the first chapter after this post. In the first chapter and she literally stated that she wanted to seduced him...yikes.

Thousandswords likes this.
  5. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.. isn't it disgusting that after all that deep love she's craving to have sex with another man?

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    You are just assuming she does though without having the full context of that chapter.
    As far as I remember she sees that kid more as a cute younger brother that she liked to tease.

7. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in my case that random chapter gave me a crucial fact about th female lead. With a female lead like that, it was ntr waiting to happen.

8. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of sister teases her younger brother by wanting have sex with him?

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    That sentence never says she want to do that, you are just assuming it does because it "can" mean it depending on context, context that you don't have by skipping right to that chapter.

10. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the context, she said she'd rather taste Chang'an herself than let others taste. At a moment of carelessness her true desire was revealed.

Sansheng furiously slammed her palm onto the table. “Bai Jiu is our enemy! How could she let Chang’an fall in love with that piece of shit?”

Our, she said this word so naturally that Moxi’s mood lifted. His gaze fell on Sansheng as he warmly asked, “So what do you want?”

“We mustn’t let Bai Jiu have such a yummy treat! Chang’an is such a delectable boy. If someone were to eat him, I’d have to have the first taste…”

A dangerous ray sparked in Moxi’s eyes. Sansheng diverted her eyes and corrected herself: “If someone were to eat him, he’d have to ask me first!

11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    That isn't context, that is just you repeating the scene.
    Context is more things like the fact that she isn't human and more close to being a demon, so that line could even be read as she wanting to literally eat him.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that "Citizen Kane" was a great film, but I saw a screenshot and it's black and white! How can it be any good?
    I also heard that "Lawrence of Arabia" was a great film. I watched a short clip, and there was a whole minute with no dialogue! What's up with the great ratings for it?

The overall idea that the ratings that a particular work of fiction gets aren't necessarily correct makes a lot of sense, and can something interesting to criticize. However, the OP is bad because it makes the even worse choice of taking a small snapshot and using that to pass judgement on the whole work. And using that to put shade on all the people who rated the book highly is even more unjust.

Nimroth likes this.
  13. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    ...That's a bad way to judge a novel, but I can see why you didn't like it.
    Anyway, almost all BL novels had a good rating because no normal people read them. This would only leave the BL Lovers and their 5 stars to fight against BL Haters and their 1 stars. Obviously, the haters are a lot lesser than lovers.

sivasms likes this.
  14. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    dude you should really go and read it, then if you don't understand what "eating" meant, then I give up.

15. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    LMAO! Yes! I remember that. She was really just joking though, lol. Come one, she's totally devoted to Moxi. What about that time when she killed all those people who killed Moxi, even knowing the punishment would be extremely severe? If she was just a calculating bitch then she would have just quietly returned to the underworld.

As for the boy... sorry to burst your bubble but women are sexual creatures and their desires don't suddenly die out just because they fell in love and got married. :LOL: She thought the boy was cute because he reminded her of young (mortal) Moxie, lol. Yes, she was kinda sexually attracted to him but she wouldn't actually do him. Rofl. :ROFLMAO:

I've heard happily married and faithful women say things like "he's the type of guy that would make every woman want to spread their legs for him." :D It's really not unusual for a woman to say something like that.

Fuyuneko and sivasms like this.
  16. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

how can u enjoy a novel if you already read the last chapter ? what if it was a good novel ? reading last chap would kill most of my motivation for reading the novel lol

I do always go around and ask a few spoiler question in some discord channel or friends about some novel ending, like, is there any NTR or is there any love interest that die or get forgotten or something ?
    so i can avoid reading a whole novel which i might not like.

but reading the ending is just a way to kill the novel for me lol

17. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    we all have our own ways of reading...

18. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is an old novel and one of first fully translated novel when at that time there was only cultivation shit or ancient chinese drama with emperor(that too is cultivation shit) so it was oasis for some one who wants to find different novels. It is still one of better novel with seven-ten chapters as cultivation and ancient china shit is still going on with added bonus of ceo shit.

Plus you donthave patience to read from start to end , how will you overcome 1000+ chapters shit.

19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, didn't you give up before even making the thread?, not even bothering to giving a story with just 19 chapters a fair try before shitting on it.
    That is a BONUS chapter you are basing your argument on, it isn't meant to make sense for someone that didn't read the rest of the story, not to mention you are shitting on it over a line that is a double entendre.

Your original post is comparable to all the people that go around 1* rating novels after reading just the first chapter.