Question Meaning of Overpowered Protagonist

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Vamptacus, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vamptacus

Vamptacus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Salutations everyone :)

so I've been reading LNs for a while now and i was wondering about a thing since i started with "that time i got reincarnated as a slime" and that's the overpowered Mc tag it has.
    what type of mcs are considered to be op? i do have my guesses but i really want to know what you guys think.
    i already googled and found no topic for this so i apologized if this was already mentioned before.

2. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what is OP is defined by the standard of the novel you are reading.
    if they can do things and have abilities that break the world they are in in someway and form , they are OP, this is the simplest answer i can give, as long the power does not fit the standard average of the world building and break the balance, they are OP.

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So long as they can beat an opponent without much trouble, thought or effort; it is usually overpowered.

4. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the type who's got the character levels and equipment for mid-late game but plays tutorial. :blobspearpeek:

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the character can instakill 10 levels above him then its an op story but if the author always dumps 20+ levels above him only leaving the character dead only to revived later then it fails as an op story. On other hand if the mc is not actually op but his seniors that always lends him powers to beat 20+ levels then its not an op story.
    Its also an op story if the mc instakills every thing like saitama.

6. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so, as overlord POTATO you should have your own ultimate potato artifact? after all how could a overlord not be OP and does not have one, so tell us what your own artifact?
    maybe is the potato clock of time? allowing you to control the element of TIME?
    [​IMG]

or it is the potato lamp? allowing you to control light element powers!!
    [​IMG]

or maybe you are the most OP of all potato's overlord, controlling the lightning attribute+ blacksmith abilities allowing you to craft your own artifacts like the previous light artifact or time artifact!!(after all we are in the middle of a cliche trope of OP blacksmiths classes in current times).

ps:sorry could not stop myself: rpg elements + potato in a thread talking about equips, i just had to write this.

OverlordPotato and AliceShiki like this.
  7. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, we don't need no attributes or artifacts when we can secretly mindcontrol the people and take over the world. :blobhero:
    Why do you think potatoes are in top 5 most produced crops of the world? It's all part of the plan. blob_crime

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with the term is that there is multiple definitions for what is considered "overpowered".
    In some cases all it means is that the character is overqualified for their job or just way above the average powerlevel of someone in the same position.
    But in other cases it means having power on a level that quite simply doesn't make sense and can't be explained even within the story or it's setting.

9. Carefree

Carefree Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP is to overcome the limitations of the current world.

A good classic example is Alucard in Hellsing.

you might find an op character in planet A but he'll be worthless in planet B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.