Discussion ===== Mega Merged WW & Qidian Thread (1.0) ======

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CoffeeMonk, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazer009

jazer009 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Qidian your thoughts on this?:LOL:

2. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I thought it was kind of odd that Qidian wasn't paywalled to begin with. The absence of ads made it really strange. Just in case, I'll put the novels I read there on hold.

If the situation truly is as WW described, I certainly hope that they come out of this unscathed. But in the end, it's really up to whichever court they end up going to (if this turns into a legal battle).

3. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck getting anyone to actually turn away from Qidian. The reason they are so confident is because of what happened with GT&WW in the face of WW getting licensing they saw a MASS shift in TLs moving from one site to another. I'm not blaming the TLs but its obvious that this act showed how desperate TLs are to keep their translations going and with the 'loyal' followers that only showed a slight conflict in emotions when seeing one site damn near crumble it most likely pushed their plans up by half a year.

Who didn't figure Qidian would ultimately Paywall and snatch TLs? In the face of an only 20 novel verbal agreement WW wouldn't be able to maintain their position as top dog regardless. Qidian sees hundreds of TLs most being only JP and CN but only allows WW 20 novels? This gives them enough time to threaten or workout deals with individual TLs to build their site while stockpiling new novels.

Why are most Qidian Translations already nearing 100? Why are the TLs seemingly working none stop? When they were getting donations they never worked this fast! But on a site that seemingly has no revenue as of yet they somehow produce 100 chapters for multiple fresh novels in less than 3 months?! There must have been a large investment by Qidian!

So why would they let WW hold onto potential gains especially with VERY popular novels. Not to mention CD which was the first TL and what many have started with or comeback too. Even if they do something vicious like snatch all of WW CN novels as long as they can get a hold of the nostalgia factor and produce novels fast the community ultimately wont care.

Its a damn shame but WW can still put up a fight and even if Qidian is shameless and denies the verbal agreement they can still TL other CN sites or venture into Filipino an Taiwanese.

4. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian sounds... really incompetent if what Ren said is true. Even if they wanted to transform the way things are done, you'd think they'd know that this wouldn't be the way to go about it.

They've not only pissed off most, if not all, CN readers, but they've also burned any bridges that could've existed with WW and many other translators. What's more, they burned the bridges in a way that makes them look like the villain. Even if they win in the end, the community will just tell them to fuck off. A large amount of people, myself included, will not pay for a subscription to read chapters at a similar quality and pace as they were when they were free.

Oh well. Who knew that the young masters were real, eh?

5. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow,

When i watched this video, it reminds me on how qidian treats the current novel comunity...

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN and elRouge like this.
  6. shianthiestrada

shianthiestrada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don´t know what he was thinking accepting an ORAL agreement as a fact. They have 3 options

- Fight with Qidan which won´t solve anything and will in fact waste money
    - Pay them and shut them up
    - Translate the novels they had bought and never make deals with Qidan again

I like some of their novels and I was happy reading them but if they don´t stop, start asking for money and continue their bullying I´ll read MT

7. jazer009

jazer009 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does Qidian mean shameless? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable...

Slayerwolfx2 and Wand148 like this.
  8. NoxDobber

NoxDobber 『Resident Dark God』

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess im off to lnmtl to copy all the chapters there so atleast i get to know the ending of the novels.

9. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually annoyed atm that Ren felt a oral agreement was a good idea for official business. Should always have it all in writing and if Qidian didn't want it in writing well that should set off red flags. I am okay with paywalls but they better give access to everything if I am subbing monthly. if I pay a sub and only get the first 1000 chapters of a novel and have to donate to unlock the other half I will dislike it.

10. Vexram

Vexram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    would be funny if there was a loophole in the author's contracts with qidian that allowed them to sell the international rights directly to others like WW. then we could just go around qidian and ignore all this BS.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. Wildzhen

Wildzhen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys are already whining the fight is just starting time to braveheart the shit out of this lol !

12. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    ORAL wasn't the only agreement. It is FACT that they also have a WRITTEN agreement. and its the fact there is a written agreement which stops Ren and WW from publicizing the exact nature of the agreement and any settlements due to a NDA. However oral contracts are also as valid as written ones in most situations involved in western or international law.

13. deepedia

deepedia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait,what,it is only ORAL agreement ? this is interesting case actually,that can be exploited by both side if they know what they doing

14. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    does a signed NDA and purchased license rights sound like just an oral agreement to you?

Viola likes this.
  15. archfear

archfear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ren said that there were oral agreements with Qidian. Did Ren mention anything about this in Wuxaiworld before shit hit the fan? Because if not, WW will face difficulties. Anyway, even if WW is scum as alleged by Qidian, I will support the translators simply because paywall is shit.

I think the translators should have licensing agreements with non-Yuewen owned sites. This time no NDA and oral agreement should be on paper. Preferable if a portion of profits from translation ksused to fatten them.

16. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    WW is white, Qidian is black. Qidian is trying to say WW is black...

get the picture?

17. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its still better to have it written down and signed though Oral agreements blow to dispute. This blowing up this way publicly and now they going to have to figure out exactly was orally agreed by both parties and how they both interpret the agreement. two people can read the same exact sentence two ways sometimes.

strayCat0 likes this.
  18. CE-NEX

CE-NEX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian is seriously overestimating the market if they believe that they can paywall everything. IF they get their way, they're going to find a significant decrease of demand in the west.

19. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm paywall huh? after so many censor, i dont think i interested with that system.

20. deepedia

deepedia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I am only looking to the previous quote while writing those post and not seeing what you write about the NDA, will edit my comment soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.