Message Count in Novel Pickup Requests

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Westeller, Jun 11, 2018.

?

Should Message Count be disabled in Novel Pickup Requests?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You put tons of effort into every post? Scrutinize each one?

Why doesn't your post history reflect that at all? Exaggerate much? :blobunsure:

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm dramatic that way.

runsing and Westeller like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
  4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *puffs up chest proudly*
    Coming to think of it, I think I don't have a single post on the NPR subforum... There are just so many novels to read that I will never read that I never bothered with it...

That aside, I'd personally be fine if they counted... Honestly, I still don't quite understand the reasoning why posts on games are disabled... I mean, aside from Pinata, Males X Females and 21 Dares (maybe the Dungeon's Dice Mansion and Blackjack if you want to make a stretch) are really spammy, and all the biggest posts of the forum are on the Roleplaying games... Sure, they aren't discussing novels and what not, but so are the people on General.

So... Disabling message count on any subforum is kinda weird IMHO, I'd be totally fine with them being counted on NPR.

5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make every post count toward removing the link posting limitation.

On a related note:
    Post count doesn't reflect quality in any forum, so why not just remove the post count from public display completely. That way, instead of people spamming for a higher post count or to be able to post links, maybe people would post more quality posts to increase their like count, which should be on public display, since getting a like usually requires some amount of effort or thought on the part of the poster.

I'm in favor of removing the joined date, too. Neither the total number of messages posted nor the date that a user joined has any bearing on the quality of the user's posts.

runsing and Westeller like this.
  6. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Voted yes and was the tiebreaker~

Well, I believe that this will make the posts there more... genuine.

With how little context you have from those "+1" messages, I believe it's not fair for others that just want to farm nuffies and others that want to promote a novel genuinely.

One side is clearly favored too much, and that one is the farmers... why? Not much of a reason, but people won't mind it without them in the comments, in fact most are passive towards it, because while the genuine guys lose out a bit on the "message count", there is less junk for others.

7. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the problem with the idea that it will make the posts there more geniune:

It has already been disabled for months. No one cares.

What ya see is what ya get. The subforum isn't going to change one way or the other.

You can't farm nuffies unless your post is over a certain length. "+1" won't get you any. You can't farm message count there, either, because, as I said, what are you going to do? Go through and "+1" the first fifty threads in the subforum, one after another? Talk about putting in the effort for little return, dang.

People do not go to Novel Pickup Requests to farm. They go to post, browse and support pickup requests. They don't even care, in fact, that their "+1" will not be counted for anything or gain them any imaginary points whatsoever. ... Which is exactly the reason it should count. Because people posting in that subforum are legitimately participating in the forums with zero incentive beyond their own interest. Hell, it might be the purest section of the entire forums.

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Likes are the easiest thing to gain in this forum, just become active on the games section or on profile posts and you'll naturally be flooded by likes.

Message count shows how active you are outside of games/profiles, join date shows for how long you've been using NU, and likes show how active you are on profiles and/or games.

None of them show anything about post quality, all of them are different ways of measuring your activity/time on the forum. *shrugs*

9. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't quite agree with the no farm assessment (if it can be abused, it will be abused), but either way, I don't think we should incentivize such behavior. Threads shouldn't even be bumped for at least a week to give all requests a semblance of fairness. It would be rewarding those who disregard rules and those who think their request is more important than others.

Ps. Imaginary points is the basis of reddit. Let's not dismiss them as unimportant.

Blitz and runsing like this.
  10. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    'What if' should not be the basis for any kind of decision, much less one you make that affects other people. People are either abusing the subforum for Message Count or they aren't. ... But, sure. Let's go down that route. ... What if, then, people were abusing Novel Pickup Requests for Message Count. ... How would they do that, y'think? Would they go through each individual thread in the subforum tacking an additional "+1" to the end of them? One thread at a time, page by page?

... Well, I doubt it. It's too much work for too little reward.

But, even if they do, that's clearly spam, it'd be cleaned up and they'd be warned. The end.

Do we need to discount the entire subforum because someone 'might' be bored enough to do that?

... Or maybe you think they'd do it differently. Maybe someone would +1 their thread over and over again to keep it on top?

... Newsflash. They can't.

Turns out we have rules for the subforum, and they have to wait a week before they decide to bump their thread. And then a week again after that. ... So if the problem is someone continously bumping their thread, there's already a solution: delete it and warn them. Ban them if you have to. ... But discounting the entire subforum because they were breaking the rules? What?

Maybe we should just discount every subforum in which people frequently break rules.

That'd show 'em!

Is there something else? You think two or three people are going to team up to alternate "+1" over and over again in a thread? That'd be spam and they'd be punished accordingly, too. ... You think they're going to cleverly write actual sentences in alteration? Well, damn, they could do that in any subforum they wanted to.

No.. I don't see any way they *could* abuse the subforum for Message Count without breaking the rules or just plain spamming.

But maybe this isn't even about abuse to begin with.

Maybe this is about "+1" posts not meriting those imaginary internet points, and denying it to them with abuse as a flippin' excuse.

11. remy911

Reading List:
    Link
    Working harder, not smarter.

12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    No it isn't. Disabling Message Count in the subforum does not stop someone from bumping their thread against the rules. It does not stop people from spamming. It does not stop people from doing anything. No. You still have to do just as much work. You still have to do your damn job and moderate the subforum.

This is not and has never been about preventing abuse. This is about the arbitrary decision that "+1" posts are lazy, low effort spam that you don't believe should "count." ... That's all. The end. Abuse? Working smarter? Cut the crap.

13. remy911

Reading List:
    Link
    I get what you're saying West, but quite frankly you're wrong. There's no more point in me continuing this. You know where I stand.

14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    +100000000 to no effort post :cookie::blobpopcorn_cool:

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    is those who put + whatever on that subforum even care on first place?

let give more of it
    sure +1 is lazy
    da heck why you give only +1? da heck your reason?
    is that problem?
    sure from potential translator why it wanna pick only +1 reason?
    +1 is damn lazy!
    lazier than me upload pic! cuz one picture can convey many words!
    sometime if not most of time reason for why it should be pick up from OP is blatantly meh
    although it kinda rare something picked up cuz blablabla~
    +1 is same with !hit
    lazybum
    19656.png

16. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya can give them copypasta if you want.

"This novel sounds pretty cool. I'd love to read it. Please translate it."

There. Now they can all copy that and paste it over and over again instead of "+1."

Because, y'know, that's what +1 means in the first place. What'cha expect, really?

17. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    "+1 to gryffindor!" sounds cool

or you can add "Nuffies" after the +1000 post
    :x
    ~

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  18. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone knows a high message count without likes is just a flaccid e-peen, anyway.

I rarely visit NPR, so I'm not overly affected either way, but I'll leave a Yes vote for the principle of the thing.

upload_2018-6-13_14-25-5.png
    "It's not very big, but I've got a penis."

But then how will we know if a user is a Tencent shill?! /s :blobowoevil:

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nay +whatever still lazybum