Discussion Misguided attention when designing levels in a story in to a game.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if I expressed my point right in the thread title, but what I basically mean is when I factor multiple variables for my story, or (web) novel. I accidentally misguided my sole attention to it, thinking of the constraints and balance between each level within that leveling system of said setting of the world's story. That's not bad, and indeed, it's actually a good practice if you want to be meticulous on the details, but the problem is every time I start designing the power levels and architecture of the character's both individual strengths and resources, I end up making it in to a game stat.

2. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, in laymans terms,
    ex. You're writing a xianxia/whatever but its not like "Golden Core/Nascent Soul" kinda thing but some sorta game word thing like Str-24?

3. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing wrong with making it a game stat.

Also I would use tokia as a reference for game stat kind of stuff. Specially I reincarnated for nothing and EER.

I like how he explains that higher level increases your souls league.

4. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also try looking at the system from cultivation chat group if you want a cultivation system I might give you inspiration. In the raw they have explained up to the 5th level out of 10

5. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it nothing wrong to make it game stat but if you dont want, then keep the stat hidden on separate sheet.
    the game stat you keep as reference to make a clear idea on what you want to make

starwarscards likes this.
  6. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was what i was going to say :) Just again for emphasis then :p

Just because you know the stats doesn't mean you have to write that into your story. Example you write "random loli finds herself unable to draw back Bow of Doom" you can know that random loli only has 5 strength and Bow of Doom requires 50 to draw on the other hand you could write "random loli draws back crappy bow but finds herself unable to draw it fully" and know the this bow only requires 6 strength to use so making random loli only being 1 point away from the requirement.

So from another point of view think of God (or the concept of him if you don't believe). God knows how strong, smart, healthy, and so on about us and could put it into stats but do you see a box anywhere? No. So you can know all this info (you are the god of your story in so may words) but don't have to share it with us.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Fate/Stay Night (the visual novel) had a menu option you could access to look up character stats. They never talked about them in the story, but when a character was unlocked you could see the stats page. Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    It basically lets you (the author) compare various stats, but battles don't always have the strongest character winning.

8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm planning to play the Hollow/ Axatria if I have time, because though I'm already self-spoiled, its still interesting to read and see how this Shiro handles this new life of his.