Question MOBA/eSports terms? (CN -> EN)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by rere_86, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    刚 = if used as a verb, it'd translate well as "going head-on". if used as an adjective, would be better off using "aggressive"
    建模 = (3D) model probably. Might need more context if this doesn't fit.
    发骚 = being flirtatious (in a bad/animalistic way). There are plenty of ways to translate this term. All depends on whether you want to portray it in a good light or bad.
    身败名裂 = devastating defeat. (proper idiom ver) to be defeated in a way that ruins one's reputation/fame.

Has the writer mentioned which game they're imitating/using? That's the best way to get your terms as DoTA players might use different terms to LoL players (unlikely but possible).

rere_86 likes this.
  2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I am actually quite curious about 风骚走位 this phrase. Any idea how to translate it?

rere_86 likes this.
  3. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Going on a hunch, the person's baiting via pretending to have bad positioning? I'm thinking baiting or aggressive positioning, but can probably ignore the positioning part if it's just a commentator shouting something like "XXX is walking very close to the bushes. Is it a trap? YYY fell for the bait!"

rere_86 and nonononononono like this.
  4. rere_86

rere_86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll add that, thanks!

For 建模, the MC was basically just admiring how nice his character looked. I think in the champion selection page, there's a 2D picture that shows up on your 楼 when you choose your character, that's visible to all your teammates, and then a 3D model that only you can see before entering the game, that takes up the center screen? I'm not sure which one is 建模 though.

Are there any other meanings to 发骚 besides being flirtatious? Because they're just saying things like "完了完了,这局要输啦!" and "等着我来抓你们!"

Hmm, the author wrote that it's based on a couple different popular MOBAs and that people with a little MOBA knowledge will have no problems reading it. I think I'm going to try to keep things consistent and use LoL whenever I can though.

5. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In that case,

建模 = character/model or "Looks so nice/awesome" might do too. Model/Character might be accurate but English hates working with accurate translations.

发骚 = (if this is a teammate being angry at character) in heat, as in "stop going into heat, you maniac!". (if this is an enemy angry at the character being annoying/"baity") peeing everywhere, e.g. "stop peeing everywhere" (because only animals pee everywhere to show off their territory). Otherwise, just ditch accuracy altogether and label it as annoying/irritating/fooling around. Essentially, it's a label for idiotic over-masculine gestures used to show off their big, bad (e-)peen.

rere_86 likes this.
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no 3D model that you see during "champion select" (the pre-game lobby), but there's "splash art" for every champion (and all their skins) that only you will see.
    [​IMG]

rere_86 likes this.
  7. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link
    Perfect, thank you! Hahaha, yeah, it always feels like you can only obtain accuracy in lieu of flow or vice versa.
    And haha, I love the going into heat and peeing everywhere suggestions, I don't think it suits the MC, but it's 100% perfect for some other characters, thanks for the suggestions!!

8. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    - 坑 – bronze player

Its literal "hole" where bad player stays. In LOL this get called as Elo Hell. I say it should get tled as bad player instead bronze player.

rere_86 and Astaroth like this.
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    rere_86 likes this.
  10. rere_86

Reading List:
    Link