Monsters and Myth

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nyann, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    So I found a thread about monster girls and thought rather than complaining that it wasn't what I wanted it to be, I decided to create my own.

I have always liked the tales and myths about monsters and there origin. Just as I like the myths and tales about gods. I guess I developed a fancy for them since childhood... My mom, dad and grandma used to tell me stories of Kings, gods and monsters... Folktales known all over the world...

So guys! Tell me about some monsters and the stories of their origin, be it local folk tales or something you have come to know about. Or just share your interests.

2. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The minotaur of Crete was born after the Queen of Crete got cursed by Poseidon to fall in love with a previously gifted bull. King Minos couldn't kill the monster so he imprisoned it in a labyrinth under his palace. There, the Minotaur required frequent sacrifice of manflesh and fair maidens, until Theseus came along and killed it, bagging himself a sweet maiden for the effort.

A beautiful woman called Arachne was super proud of her weaving skills. So proud, that she challenged the Goddes Athena, goddes of war & crafts, to a contest. When Athena declined the challenge from a mere mortal, Arachne proclaimed that the goddes was scared of her, not only her weaving skill, but also of her (Arachne's) superior beauty. Enraged by the hubris, Athena cursed Arachne. She lost her beauty to a hideous form with 8 legs and eyes, large mandibles and a spinneret. She was then doomed to continue weaving for eternity. Thus Arachne became the first spider, or arachnid.

If you look at it, most monsters from Greek myth came from some gods curse. And said god's jealousy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2019
    mir, Lurking, lychee and 1 other person like this.
  3. Readylan

Readylan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's two of the rarest i know

The peryton

The peryton is a mythological hybrid animal combining the physical features of a stag and a bird. The peryton was created and described by Jorge Luis Borges.

The peryton is said to have the head, neck, forelegs and antlers of a stag, combined with the plumage, wings and hindquarters of a large bird, although some interpretations portray the peryton as a deer in all but coloration and bird's wings.

According to Borges, perytons lived in Atlantis until an earthquake destroyed the civilization and the creatures escaped by flight. A peryton casts the shadow of a man until it kills one during its lifetime, at which time it starts to cast its own shadow. A sibyl once prophesied that the perytons would lead to the downfall of Rome.

In Borges' original Spanish edition, the word is given as peritio so the presumptive Latin original would be peritius, which happens to be the Latin name of the fourth month on the ancient Macedonian calendar (Peritios, moon of January). The connection of this, if any, to the peryton is unclear.

The nuckelavee

The nuckelavee is a horse-like demon from Orcadian mythology that combines equine and human elements. It has its origins in Norse mythology, and British folklorist Katharine Briggs called it "the nastiest" of all the demons of Scotland's Northern Isles. The nuckelavee's breath was thought to wilt crops and sicken livestock, and the creature was held responsible for droughts and epidemics on land despite being predominantly a sea-dweller.

A graphic description of the nuckelavee as it appears on land was given by an islander who claimed to have had a confrontation with it, but accounts describing the details of the creature's appearance are inconsistent. In common with many other sea monsters it is unable to tolerate fresh water, therefore those it is pursuing have only to cross a river or stream to be rid of it. The nuckelavee is kept in confinement during the summer months by the Mither o' the Sea, an ancient Orcadian spirit, and the only one able to control it.

Orcadian folklore had a strong Scandinavian influence, and it may be that the nuckelavee is a composite of a water horse from Celtic mythology and a creature imported by the Norsemen. As with similar malevolent entities such as the kelpie, it possibly offered an explanation for incidents that islanders in ancient times could not otherwise understand.

asriu, mir, Lurking and 1 other person like this.
  4. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    So apparently Eve, you know, from THE Adam, was actually Adam's second partner? I dont remember much since it isnt in the Bible, so I never learned of it growing up, but the first woman that Adam was with became a devil or something. You know, Lilith

Nyann likes this.
  5. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    yea i remember lilith's story being like a mix of various mythologies. I think it's in jewish literature that they wrote about her being adam's wife, but originally being a demon of lust from another culture.

Evil_Ginger and Nyann like this.
  6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I know Lilith I recently saw an YouTube video on her.
    Lilith wasn't mentioned in the Bible because according the YouTuber Lilith defied Adam's dominance and patriarchy and wanted to be independent in making her decisions... The patriachial myths made her a demon just because she didn't follow the norms...

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  8. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    What about some scp like creatures?~

Here one from lobotomy corporation:
    • "<Tales from The Black Forest>
      A long time ago, in a warm and dense forest lived three happy birds.
      The birds had no names, but creatures in the forest called them Big Bird, Long Bird, and Little Bird.
      Everyone lived freely and happily together in the forest in peace. The birds wanted the forest to be safe more than anyone, so creatures from outside can come and visit to have fun.
      It was a warm and sunny afternoon when a stranger visited the peaceful forest. He was a traveler, pioneer, and prophet, but at the same time, he was nothing. He wanted to come into the forest, but the birds didn’t let him because they found him suspicious. The stranger, angered, told the birds as he left.
      “Tragedies will come to this forest soon. It will be tainted with sins and evil, and fights will never stop. Tragedies will stop once a terrible monster devours everything. The sun and moon will shine upon you no longer; the forest will never go back to what it was before.”
      The birds became worried because of this prophecy. What if fights never stop, and a terrible monster devours everything as he said? The birds decided to become sentinels of the forest. They loved this forest, so they wanted to protect the creatures living in it and keep the peace.
      Big Bird, with his many eyes, watched over the forest to seek trespassers. Big Bird’s eyes can see very far, and things we can’t see. Then somebody said, “But what should we do if the monster comes in a night when everyone’s asleep?”. Big Bird became worried, so he burned all of his feathers to make an everlasting lantern. Now, creatures in the forest were under Big Bird’s watch day and night.
      Long Bird weighed the sins of creatures that enter the forest to keep peace. Long Bird’s scales could measure every sins, and were fair and just. Then somebody said, “But what should we do if the scales don’t tip to any direction?”. Long Bird became worried, so he made scales that tip to only one direction so he can get the result under any situation.
      Little Bird decided to punish bad creatures with his beak. Then somebody said, “But your beak is so small, no one would find it painful!”. Little Bird became worried, so he split his mouth to make it big enough to devour any creature in one bite.
      No one wanted visit the forest anymore. Bad rumors about the forest started spreading outside. “Whoever enters that forest ends up in a terrible situation!” “No creature is free because Big Bird is watching them all the time.” “Long Bird’s scales are not fair at all.” “Little Bird’s punishment is so scary.”
      The birds were angry. Why would they spread rumors like that when they were working hard to protect the forest?
      Fewer and fewer visitors came to the forest, creatures were complaining, fights broke out daily, and the birds worked even harder to make the forest peaceful again.
      “This forest is too big and wide to protect with only three of us.”
      “But there is no creature who can protect this forest but us.”
      “If we can merge our strength together, we might become stronger.”
      The day when Big Bird’s eyes that can see hundreds of kilometers away, Long Bird who can judge any sin, and Little Bird’s mouth that can devour everything merged together, darkness fell upon the forest. Creatures screamed in fear at the sight of the bird, the forest fell into chaos soon.
      In chaotic cries of fear, somebody shouted.
      “It’s the monster! Big terrible monster lives in the dark, black forest!”
      Monster? Three birds, now as one, looked around to find the monster but couldn’t find it. The bird started looking for the monster, wandering the forest. It’s dangerous if the monster is in the forest.
      But there was nothing. There were no creatures, no sun and moon, and no monster. All that is left is just a bird, and the black forest.
      Only cold, dark night continued from then.
      Rumors say, there is a terrible monster in the black forest where no one lives……"

Nyann likes this.
  9. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is dedicated to our loved the dense maou shoujo @AliceShiki
    • "Creature has the appearance of a woman ready fight any villain for peace and justice."
    • "Generally the creature is kind and polite to the employee and is able to converse casually. Creature continues to believe that it is a hero sent to save the world and is considerably proud of that fact."
    • "When the creature is faced with 'Anxiety' or 'Skepticism', within 2-4 days its outer persona changes and creature displays symptoms of dissociative disorder."
    • "Its definition of good and evil is fixed in its mind. Some assume that, when the creature’s beliefs led to the horrible doubt about the existence of evil, it chose to become ‘evil’ to negate that doubt."
    • "After ‘enraged’ behavior passes, it does not remember its own behavior. There is no need to remind the creature of past events."
    • "Employee M4032 : so, how are you doing today?
      Magical girl : Great. It’s quiet in here and the world is peaceful. Peace is a great thing. No more villains. Right?"
    • "Employee M4032: You look a bit blue today.
      Magical girl: Still great. World is peaceful, in here it’s… (Creature fell silent)
      (Omitted)
      Employee M4032: Hey, are you alright?
      Magical girl: Why is it still so peaceful? I live to defeat evil villains. The world doesn’t need me at all, does it? Oh, did I tell you I’m a magical girl? I was chosen to bring peace in to the world. But today, it’s already quiet. (Creature continued to murmur incomprehensible words by itself)"
    • "(The creature showed signs of anxiety and compulsive behavior; it didn’t even notice when the Employee came into the chamber)
      Magical girl: The world is divided into good and evil. I stand with justice. If I am good, there must be evil too. Without evil, I cannot exist. Who would save the world then?
      After these symptoms where displayed she was sedated with enough anesthetic to last 3 days."
    • "Interview Log S3_4921
      <Warning>
      Personnel clearance must be Level 3 or higher to read this document
      This recording is from the date of <Redacted>, incident number <Redacted> The abnormality used the confinement facility’s emergency phone to call an employee n the Emergency Response Department.
      Magical girl: (Continued sobbing noises)
      Employee: Emergency Response Department. Identification, please.
      Magical girl: I.. I did it. Oh, I, I couldn’t stop myself. If someone died, the blood is on my hands. I ruined everything. I betrayed those people who were so kind to me. I don’t remember …
      Employee: What happened?
      Magical girl: I don’t know. They aren’t moving. There is so much blood. I’m sorry. I just want to say sorry.
      (Omitted)
      Three corpses were found in the abnormality’s containment chamber. The discovered bodies were of the employees assigned to prevent incidents. Afterwards, Magical Girl lost recollection of the entire incident."

Nyann likes this.
  10. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    The only type of monsters i know are bunny girl, cat girl, dog girl and you can guess the rest:blobpeek:

11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf most of Greek mythos is Zeus' fuck history so it is hardly surprising.

Now Dracula,
    A fictional character modelled after Vlad the Impaler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler#Vampire_mythology), a medieval ruler of Wallachia, a region of Romania. The connection was made in a 1897 gothic horror novel, "Dracula" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracula) by Bram Stoker.
    This novel was an inspiration behind the one of the best gaming series, Castlevania. In Castlevania two major characters are Dracula and Alucard, both surnamed Tepes, a reference to Vlad the Impaler.

Lurking likes this.
  12. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link

13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Chilli_Chiia

Chilli_Chiia Trying to survive my courses

Reading List:
    Link
    In Korean folklore, there's a lot of ghosts.
    (look up the images yourselves it is in the middle of the night and I don't want nightmares)
    Some types are:
    1. The Egg ghost
    There are two types of them (In appearance). The one where it's just body with no limbs and a smooth face or an extremely skinny body with a smooth face. It's called the egg ghost because its face is so smooth just like an egg. People don't know why they exist but some believe it's because they were childless in their past life and so because they don't have descendants to hold memorial rites for them, these spirits are gradually stripped of what humanity and personality they once had and are cursed to a wretched existence in their afterlives. The reason why they're bad is that if you look at them, you die right away.

2. Water ghost
    People who died from drowning but they still think they're alive so whenever a living person swims in the same place they died in, they call for help by dragging the person down into the water.

3. 9 tailed fox
    Basically a family of two sons wanted a daughter, one day they find a baby girl and raise her. Slowly their livestock slowly goes down. After the accumulated suspicions, the two sons tell the parents how they believe that their sister did it and the parents didn't believe them. TLDR one of the sons wake up in the night and sees his sister eating the bloody corpse of one of the family members.

There are lots of Asian movies where the typical white wearing long black haired female Asian ghost comes out of mirrors so my older brother used to lock me in this one large room where one of the walls was a big ass mirror and say that if I cried more the gwisins will drag me to the other world and I would bang on the door crying so now that I'm older I have isolophobia, Spectrophobia and for some reason when I use the toilet in the middle of the night I swear for a split second I sometimes see a little boy like around 7 years old with pale skin and a bowl cut wearing a light grey long-sleeved shirt looking down a the floor in front of the washing machine and because my mum likes mirrors I only look down at night. The scary thing is that we have a wall that's completely made out of glass that faces the backyard so it's fucking scary at night time because the side door lock is broken and the backyard door is broken and there once was a serial killer that said that if the door isn't locked, then aren't they just inviting me (serial killer) in their homes?

mir, Lurking and Nyann like this.
  15. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    :facepalm:

mir likes this.
  16. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow interesting....

17. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehehe:blobpeek:

18. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    important. did he see the fox eat his brother or what? essential missing detail, what family member

Nyann likes this.
  19. z.no

z.no Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now this is in my fort. As a wannabe historian it’s important to know different cultures. But for now I will only post my own country’s(Turkey), which I believe you probably do not know.

1) Enkebit
    This weird monster as known as “Enkebit” is a not very known legend except in Turkey, middle Anatolia. As the legend says that, this guy here has long arms and legs, strong and long fingers, has a hole only in the middle of it’s right hand, and wears a golden fas. It likes to sneak up on sleeping people(whether it’s night or not) and choke them to death. If you somehow manage to take the golden fas out of it’s head while it’s strangling you, it stops and leaves, leaving the golden fas for you and never comes back.

[​IMG]

2) Hırtık
    Hırtık is a creature that has the upper body of an human and the lower body of an animal. It hides his whole body with feathers and fears fire. It only comes out at night time and lives in Euphrates river.

It has the ability to change shapes into anyone. It usually changes into the shape of a person close to it’s victims and lead them to Euphrates to drown them. It loves stealing horses when he cannot fool any humans and rides them whole night, tiring them.

According to the legends the only found way to beat this guy is to stab a needle to it’s neck. After doing this Hırtık will obey every command of it’s catcher, just like a puppet.

[​IMG]

3) Evren
    This is more of a myth then a folklore, but i like it nonetheles. In modern turkish, evren has the meaning of “Universe”, which comes from this particular creature. In old Turkic myths, the whole universe is thought to be controlled and changed by this dragon, which led to the people give it the name of “Eviren”(means both “inverter” and “evolver”). As time passed, the “i” sound was gone and the word turned into “Evren”, which now means “Universe”.

[​IMG]

mir and Nyann like this.
  20. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. In the story it wasn't mentioned if the sister itself was a nine tailed fox?

Lurking likes this.