Discussion Moon's Labyrinth: Character Inconsistency

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Thousandswords, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Thousandswords

Thousandswords SWORD OF PENETRATION

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading Progress: Chapter 139
    So...no one is going to ask why a guy with trust issues is strangely so trusting towards a guy (Hyunwoo) he met only twice?
    The MC doesn't even fully trust the company president Jimin, but he will trust a guy she knows? How does that make sense? Also in chapter 136 he innocently goes with Hyunwoo to eat and then to his dungeon with him.
    But what happened to his trust issues?
    Tim and the girls had to go through hell to receive a little bit to trust...but the MC trusted a guy he talked and dined with just once or twice, went to a dangerous labyrinth, and basically revealed all of his fighting style and secrets to this Hyunwoo guy, who has unknown motives. The guy is giving powerful gems and advice to a stranger like the MC and that didn't seem a little bit suspicious?
    In chapter 139, the MC is basically behaving like a slave...he's following Hyunwoo to strange places and eating whatever he is given.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    eray.gns likes this.
  2. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because hyunwoo is korean?

3. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    and Jimin and the rest of the koreans arent?

4. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I unfortunately dropped the novel when those two old geezers came to meet with Jimin for the first time and MC was like, "Oh! I can definitely count on them to look after my daughter in the future..." yeah, no. It was a fun read until that part but I don't like it when characters contradict themselves. It was a big big turn off for me.

Thousandswords likes this.
  5. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read it, but it would be funny if the Hyunwoo guy backstabbed the MC.

6. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah...that happened too!

7. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't question the novels logic bcs it's the authors who gets to decide,
    it will be a lot easier to read

8. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    even the author cant suddenly change the already established logic

9. eray.gns

Reading List:
    Link
    He is the "big bad guy" of the novel kek. And funny thing is MC is paranoid about trusting anyone since his wife and best friend screwed him hard at the beginning of the novel but somehow when it comes to the "big bad guy", he is like "not enough, hit me from this angle too" even though he still isn't really trusting towards the people that are actually good to him. It is funny really. It is also funnier how Jimin doesn't/didn't suspect the "big bad guy" since when her father died, surprise surprise, the biggest benefitter was the "big bad guy" but she thinks of him as the "good guy uncle that was my father's best friend." It was definitely a solid read until that part. I would preferred it if Jimin's father actually got lost in the Big Labyrinth instead of this backstabbing drama... Sigh...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. Thousandswords

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah the novel had great potential

11. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, tought so too. And that pissed me off doubly because i was kinda get annoyed with his trust issues, and then, boom, he trust the one he shouldn't, wouldn't be surprised if he betrays MC and then MC goes back to the spiral of "everyone is a cunt".

And the whole thing with his wife and "best friend" was so fucking forced, i felt like the author was screaming at me saying "Hey, he is a good guy and they are trash, you should pity him, and look at his poor daughter that is still smilling despite all that happened, you should love her and find her cute!"

Not a bad novel but "subtility" is clearly not a word in author's vocabulary.

12. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that Hyunwoo bit was out of character.

That wasn't a contradiction. What he had just witnessed at the time was two people taking care of their friend's daughter even after their friend's death. Moreover, these two people are so top at the chain, yet they still show concern for Jimin. Sungyoon is already in a line of dangerous work. He has come close to death many times. Ofc he needs to think about the future of his daughter in the worst case. And no, he isn't planning on counting on them. But he certainly expects that a connection with them will help his daughter in case things go south, since they helped Jimin even after Jungbum's death. There is something called Character Development. Author has been not-so-subtely showing that.

13. eray.gns

Reading List:
    Link
    The dude who got his world turned upside down by his "best friend" who is at the top of the "food chain" and his "wife" that were "smiling to his face", both of which were "taking care of him until that point", is thinking positively about the people who are from the same mould? Yeah, no. It is not character development, I call that forced drama. Not to mention the stuff that happens later according to OP.

14. dcambur

dcambur Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember precise chapters however this novel dropped some hints here and there about Sung Hyunwoo and MC. If something, I even think this antagonist character is quite well thought comparing to many other novels. More so, MC isn't acting out of trust, but respect, at least this is how I see it. Like, will you reject the person who is known as one of the strongest (He can kill MC easily if he wants to at that moment) and is respected by your boss (Who cares about his dear daughter)? It is not that MC really hides his power (even more, he cant do this, he can't hide his gems from the government, so it is not hard to get information about his gems), he is not some xianxia or jp trash hero who acts lowkey because it is "dangerous" without even explaining how it can screw you. Also, don't you remember what the author said about MC's low self-esteem so many times? The protagonist doesn't think of his achievements highly (heck, he is even ready to die if this is advantageous to his daughter). Finally, I can only say that later on, this novel confirms my point. The only turn-off for me in this novel is that romance here is somewhat forced (but it is way better than in 99% of xianxia!!!!). Sung Hyunwoo is an old willy fox and it is not good to compare him with some human garbage like MC's "best friend". They are not on the same level at all. I can't be sure that people who dropped this novel because of this kind of reason read the novel with their eyes open.

Last edited: May 18, 2021