Most Well Writen CNs & vice verca

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ardavix, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardavix

Ardavix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I know that this may seem like an oxymoron but believe it or not there are some reasonably well written CNs out there ~ even though most are likely written by [insert here: name of notable hominid species excluding homo sapiens]...

Stupid jokes aside, in your opinion(s), what are the best written CNs and what are the worst written CNs.
    Also, note that there are no specific criteria ~ i.e. in terms of what defines 'best and worst' written CNs

IMO

Best:
    1. Immortal god Emperor
    2. Long Live Summons
    3. TDG
    Notable mentions: TMW would have been on this list if not for the latest arcs... ISSTH is like 5th or 6th maybe...

Worst:
    1. World Defying Dan god... feels like it was written by a middle schooler
    2. Close Combat Mage ~ to this day I still can't get over the fact that he's way too mature for his age... and also chapter 248...
    3. Wu Dong Qian Kun - I still like it a lot tho.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    MadHatter likes this.
  2. TheMrAzn

TheMrAzn [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. DorbenRS

DorbenRS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How can you NOT have "I Shall Seal The Heavens" by Er Gen?

That's given me more feels than all other JP novels combined.
    If you can't tell, I am not a fan of the vast majority of translated JP novels.

Edit: you did, but it's only 5th or 6th?

Heathen!

4. Kung Pao

Kung Pao chickens don't get headaches, they eat my grains

Reading List:
    Link
    good = legend of the cultivation god, Ze Tian Ji, anything by IET, Er gen's novels and TMW + MW
    bad = Lon live summons, anything by TTSJ (douluo dalu, heavenly jewels...), path to heaven, Law of the devil... I hate harems basically

RougeAsura likes this.
  5. Shade24

Shade24 Sleep is just Death being Shy

Reading List:
    Link
    Best:
    1. Martial god space
    I like the most because of the fact the author explains to the point that others may call it over the top but i love this writing style
    2. ISSTH
    I like it because of meng hao nuff said
    3.Immortal god emperor
    i don't know why i like this novel in particular but it just gets my blood pumping for some reason

Notable mentions:MW The writing style is good for me but the story is like other million xianxia novels

Worst.
    I don't really have any novels that i hate every cn i read is enjoyable for me IMO

MadHatter, DorbenRS and RougeAsura like this.
  6. stellarsohye

stellarsohye ☆Drunk Oneesan☆ 『Civil Servant』

Reading List:
    Link
    Best written? Ze Tian Ji

MadHatter, DarkBlue and RougeAsura like this.
  7. tsuki_hana

tsuki_hana 『Legendary Slob』 『ISSTH Eccentric』『Half-Fujoshi』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm my best would be: ISSTH, TTNH,IRAS and Skyfire Avenue

And i'm basing this on my enthusiasm to read it. There are a lot more especially the romantic ones

I won't list worst ones because I believe that it's really just a matter of tastes and it's kind of bad to label them as worst.

DorbenRS likes this.
  8. Kung Pao

Kung Pao chickens don't get headaches, they eat my grains

Reading List:
    Link
    read legend of the cultivation god if you like Ze Tian Ji

9. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
  10. SpiritStones

SpiritStones Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well ISSTH is the best written novel imo!

DorbenRS likes this.
  11. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhu Xian (initial translation is really bad tho) and Mao Ni works ; ze tian ji and jiang ye.
    There's some wuxia that's really well written too ,but i guess is couse it is properly edited and written with time.
    WN are in great disanvantage regarding that , you can expect something %100 good when you have to pump 2 chapters per day , that's crazy.
    Taking that into consideration Er gen can write pretty good , you can even see that he connects plots from early to hundreds of chaptets into the future. And at least the mcs have proper character development.
    Imo.

12. morli

morli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think the most well written is = the most well thought plot. Then my first choice is I'm Really a Superstar. Not only it has a good quality humor, it also has the most interesting and unpredictable plot. It's very amazing seeing how far ahead the author planning the plot and still very refreshing even after hundreds chapter because he doesn't use the same plot twice.

I never consider Immortal God Emperor, LLS and TDG as the most well written story because honestly, they're predictable, full of plotholes and use same plot again and again (especially arrogant antagonist who can't tolerate slightest grievance). But I still praise the translator effort for giving a high quality chapter at consistent rate.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Ardavix likes this.
  13. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    The most well written CN novels are the older ones from when uploading a WN on the net wasn't possible, where you actually had to write quality work to get your story published. What has been translated is pretty much all wuxia, that i've found, books like 7 Killers, A Deadly Secret, Horizon Bright Moon Sabre, Dragon King with Seven Stars, the Condor Trilogy etc.

You can argue about the story telling/how interesting it is as much as you want but the writing itself is a cut above the popular novels today. Thankfully the translations are generally quite good.

14. Ardavix

Ardavix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To those who grew up with these novels I can only differ to their experiences; as someone who has grown up in the west, truthfully I've only been introduced to XX, WX & Xuanhuans as early as about a year and a half ago. I've tried reading some of the older ones and although I've enjoyed them, there is clearly a difference in writing style when compared to more recent works. That said, it doesn't have the same appeal to me as it would to others and I can only agree to disagree with you on the issue of publishings. Just because something is published using the traditional method of literature-publishings does not mean that, by default, it will be better.

Of course, I realise that were talking about writing quality but that still doesn't change the score. The fact is that there are countless English speaking people and others that have been drawn into the world of CNs due to their unique flavour; a flavour that is often missed in older works. Again, I stress the fact this this is my opinion and that we can really ever only agree to disagree.

15. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course it doesn't always. You asked for my opinion on which I think is the most well-written CN novels. Why extrapolate my answer to include all published works 'by default'? Generally, it does mean that there is a certain level of quality though.
    You're suggesting that older wuxia doesn't have a 'unique flavour'. Yes, it's different to what you see today but that doesn't mean that it's lacking.

16. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Unique flavor like brainless 1-d villians,repeated training arcs,dumb or shitty romance, copy and paste from other chinese or jp novels(I mean chinese is shameless in plagerism).

The only good genre chinese novels is wuxia and history fiction.

17. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Good. TTNH, terror infinity, Coiling Dragon, HJC. (I enjoy the novel.. so..)
    Bad. TMW , MW, Zhanxian. (Its not that I dislike it, but the repetitive information really gets to me sometimes.. I really2 hate them)

18. kalp456

kalp456 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The MOST WELL-WRITTEN Chinese novels are, of course and very much OBVIOUSLY, WATER MARGIN, ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS, JOURNEY TO THE WEST, and DREAM OF THE RED CHAMBER, the FOUR GREAT CLASSICS of Chinese Literature. I am offended no one mentioned these classics.

MadHatter likes this.
  19. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, the most well-written chinese novel is obviously Peerless martial god and close combat mage!

20. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    most of us didnt even bother read them.. dood.. you're selling the wrong novel to the wrong people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.