Mushoku Tensei Sucks?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Smooth Che, May 21, 2016.

1. Smooth Che

Smooth Che [Awaiting TS' Approval]

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel doesn't deserve the attention it gets. The main character is a scumbag and stays this way for nearly the whole novel

3 scenes i want to pick out that made me feel that way. 1st of course chapter 1, where he masturbates to little kids instead of going to his parents funeral. You have to be really sick if you do that, and he even got busted by his relatives..

2nd, a scene where he sees slaves on a ship. Beast girls in shackles, nude. First thing our mc thinks: "They are so hot!", ignoring the bruises and signs of violation they got from the crew

3rd, and this got me the most, some douche threatened and insulted him and his wives. The douche went and said something like "Don't be surprised if i hurt your wife". What does our mc do? He gave him a lot of precious gems! Why do people want to read this? A main character who doesn't even stand up for his family/wives? Who bribes douches with money, which btw. wasn't even his money but that of someone else's? Holy shit

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Rarylith likes this.
  2. AnAnimal

AnAnimal Idk mane

Reading List:
    Link
    Polls pls

3. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    There are a lot of things that can't be solved with violence. Sometimes bribery is the way to go.

4. kaiserluiz

kaiserluiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not that bad

5. Smooth Che

Reading List:
    Link
    @Shio the thing was, he was one of the strongest mages and the guy was a nobody

6. Kamal

Kamal uhmmm... hmmm... are you serious?

Reading List:
    Link
    The main character sounds like he's in a book but I don't like him

pls dont take this srsly

7. Mikey

Mikey 『Cloudy's Butler』『Yeezy』

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause Op MC= everything he does is justified!!!

8. Jin Mori

Jin Mori Absentee MC

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. He's loose af, that's for sure, but the entire series is him getting better and better. Him realizing his faults and by the end he's much better.

Him choosing to stand with Orsted instead of the human God, and his dedication to his family, they're all signs of how he changed.

Of course, it's been a long, long time since I read it, and I might be biased towards it for being one of my first light novels, but I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
    MadHatter and Shio like this.
  9. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. He actually a useless person at that time, so it doesn't surprise me.

2. I don't remember any mention about the slave being abused other than getting shackled and nude.

3. He opt to solve the situation without resorting to violence. Nothing surprising there. Not that he can't deal with those thug if he wanted to.

ln_, _Selutu_, Zone Q11 and 1 other person like this.
  10. TrueDoc

TrueDoc Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have to agree with one. Kinda fkd up but then again he was like srsly depressed and anti social so like your not really relating to him or even trying to view shit through his viewpoint.
    For the second one like if you go to another world your previous societal standpoints are literally dogshit cuz they no longer apply. Slavery is bad yes I agree but thats only cuz thats how we have been raised so like again just you bitching without trying to view shit through other viewpoints.
    For the last one you even got the scene wrong. The only time he does that is when that cat girl becomes a slave and Eris ends up with her after beating slavers. So the guy was saying he wanted the cat girl back and to smooth shit over Rudy just recklessly gave a ton gems which he didnt need to do but either way it was rather insignificant.

Also like if you end up in another world and do not have the power to change shit are you gonna go around getting into trouble challenging the worlds viewpoints? Seems rather stupid to me but enjoy your hasty death if that every does happen :)

11. Smooth Che

Reading List:
    Link
    Please. There are no excuses for being a pedophile who masturbates to lolis on his parents funeral day
    They were.
    He threatened his family, if he didn't i wouldn't mind him using money and not violence

Remember how he forgot about his own mother? How his dad had to punch him so that he thought of her once? How he chilled with his wives instead of searching for her?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
    readerz likes this.
  12. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean if half of ur criticism is based off a character's actions at the start of a story where the main plotline is him trying to change for the better, i have no words for u

13. naczac

naczac Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just bc you don't like mc doesn't mean novel sucks, you've obviously read pretty far along to get to the bribing part. If all you have problem in all of the books you've read so far are just those 3 things, I doubt even you think it's bad. If it sucked you wouldn't even finish book 1.

14. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    While I agree the mc has many short comings, what mc doesnt?? If you want to directly criticize specifics there are many in any novel. Over all the novel is decent. From chapter 1 you knew what kind of person he was, you obviously continued reading, why complain now.

15. Smooth Che

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually have way more problems with this novel, i wrote a review on it. And i read so far because i wanted to see him turning into a better person, which did not happen for a long time

16. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    You've got expendable money. Why make an issue of it? You sound like a shit xianxia antagonist which dies within 10 chapters of meeting them because you just want to crush shit which you don't like.

Ai chan, elv21 and Arcturus like this.
  17. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, I've always felt the novel to be overrated.

asriu, Shance and RANTMAN like this.
  18. Smooth Che

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, give him 80% of the money you just got from SOMEONE ELSE

19. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    So?
    He deals with the issue as quickly as he can while ensuring that there is as little future risk to his family as possible.

elv21, Shance and Neydomus like this.
  20. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    well if 3 things can make the whole story suck, that is too bad

Amplify likes this.