Mushoku Tensei Sucks?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Smooth Che, May 21, 2016.

1. Nume

Nume [Arcadia Blade Onee-chan][Shameless Paladin]

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't the whole point of the story that he is a trashy guy? I mean, the story is about him trying to be a better person than he was in his former life, right? He is trash indeed, his character is bad too, but he is trying. And that's the whole point of it. In his previous life he gives up on trying when he faced dificuties. The point of the novel is that it doesn't matter if you're not the most perfect guy on the planet, as long as you don't stop trying and keep moving foward, good things will happen, you'll became someone happy. Mushoku Tensei is about not giving up on yourself, even if you're trash.

2. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    That an interesting take on it, he was scrum in his previous life, which would have affected his decisions and actions in his reincarnated life.
    So, saying that it's a commentary on the journey to change a person's character is quite accurate imo.

Ofc, I agree that mushoku-tensei gets a bit too much attention as being a "Omg best novel" for game-elements and reincarnated into adventuring world.
    No novel is perfect and all have their faults, its impossible for the novel to please everyone.

and btw can we stop having attacks on people's character?
    The discussion is about the effect of the novel on people and what people believe is the overall purpose of the novel, etc.
    No need to stoop to name-shaming and calling.
    Soz, seeing these kinds of things just triggers me.
    ~rant over

EDIT: "Be CIVIL. Do not disrespect each other, the mods, or the community." Parth37955
    Please keep this in mind, discuss the issue not the person

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. z3helll

z3helll Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo, I thought the novel was overrated and I didn't like the MC at all. I dropped it really fast.

4. Kna

Kna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped it after he hesitated to kill his enemy when his wife (elf one, I think) was under attack and in the danger of life or dead....

The result? He didn't attack his enemy and she died.... briefly....
    She happened to have magical artifact that can receive deathblow in her place....
    Yeah, plot armor at its finest.

So don't tell me this novel has choice and consequence because it's not or his wife would stay dead and no, he didn't love his family that much or he would do anything to protect them at all cost.
    Not, 'Oh, that guy gonna kill my lovely wife and I'm a super mage who love my family and can stop him with my spell killing the bad guy before he kill my wife but If I use spell to attack him he'll die... Oh noooooo, I love my family but I don't want to kill people so I won't do shit to save her, RIP my wife... Well, she happened to has magic item that revive her and know what? After that I become bud with the guy who killed my wife a few minutes ago. Did I mention I love my family?.... So everything is rainbow and sunshine afterward. Go, me....'

5. darkking2001

darkking2001 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kna the fact you have the wrong wife just says how much you pay attention when you read. Firstly he didn't hesitate during the death god fight that was one of the fights he should have settled better before it started. As it only started because of a misunderstanding on his part as he almost killed someone who wasn't related to the god. Second they weren't "buddy buddy" they had a simple conversation and he was still abit wary of him.

6. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, someone read what I wrote?:cry:

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    don't tell me you are the one who edit that post

8. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What post? And no

9. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahah, too lazy to read the other pages for replies, but these are good.
    ----
    This Thread Sucks?
    You can say you don't like it personally, but to attack the novel as a whole, when you've only given three examples of why you made this thread initially is a bit much.

MadHatter likes this.
  10. tehrealone

tehrealone 『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, isnt that right @Parth37955
    You're meant to play along :cry:

11. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC is flawed, that's for sure. But he aim to better himself throughout the story. Remember the MC is a weakling, pervert, hikikomori, coward, in his previous life. Or do you prefer a perfect MC, who's so perfect they are insipid and uninteresting.

12. Kna

Kna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @darkking2001 As i said I dropped it after that and it's a long time ago so you have to forgive me about forgetting which wife is which. She's still his wife nonetheless and she did die but got saved by magic item.
    And in that moment whether he's the enemy lackey or not doesn't really matter. MC has to choose between neutralizes the threat or let his wife dies. well..... family man........

It's all because he didn't want to take enemy's life, of course if other did it in his stead it's ok and if the enemy looks doesn't resemble human then it's ok to slaughter them too.
    I mean if you are that afraid of taking human life why the heck do you become adventurer in the first place? Go be a farmer or something.

13. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because as human, each person has their bottom line. Cops doesn't become cops to kill people. Some chose to never pull their gun and kill, and aim to disable instead, even if that put's their life at risk. It's a personal choice. Also, the MC is an adventurer, not a soldier.

14. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Adventurers aren't supposed to kill humans in the first place. They're supposed to be hunting beasts.

15. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    The contested argument was not "his wife died and revived", and "it was the wrong wife" was only a simple correction that affects nothing (it was the blue-haired one).
    The contested argument was "why she died", which was not, as you seem to believe, "because he hesitated killing his opponent" and after the fact "became best buddies with him", but in fact she died "because he wasn't strong enough" and after the fact "he tried his best to never again get on his wrong side, or any side if possible".
    The revival of Roxy should owe to several facts among which count the likeabilty and popularity of the character, and the dark side of the MC's desperation for loss of loved ones being already explored enough times. Plus, I don't know if it can be called "plot armor" when she was wearing the item since almost the beginning of the arc as insurance for times like that (I would understand it to have been plot armor if it was unknown that the item had that effect or the reader didn't know that she was wearing it, both of which were long known).

The premise behind this thread seems to be just missing the point that not everyone likes the same things. You like this series? So do I. You don't like it? Good for you. Who's right? No one.

16. Blis

Blis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing I was most annoyed about this LN was MC does not change or improve. MC character had those wild sexual fantasies about lolis before reincarnation and after reincarnation he put those in actual use, that's another way of improvement I guess. Well, what do you expect from
    someone who can make the shrine for panties? He leers to any underage girls (5-12 years
    old :rolleyes: ), grope and on every scenario he will try to think or comment on something
    perverted very creepily. He was like 40 years old before with modern knowledge even if he is shut in, getting excited over a girl with age 5 or under 10 years is so unrealistic.

The only thing he is missing now is putting panties on his head instead of sniffing or stealing them. Like seriously does he need to think of something perverted every second? The girls are not better either they will just laugh it off while saying ''rudeus is pervert''' and go along with anything he does. They become so dumb around him and their relationship is also reduced to sex for everything.

The novel is just a wish fulfillment male power fantasy with gross pedophile sexual scenes and a bad writing at that. I doubt anyone can relate to such a mc. It's creepy how he have perverted thoughts about his mother, sisters too. If the author had focused on creating the story more interesting instead of focusing on his endless pervertedness then I would not have gotten bored so soon of it.

17. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to point out that while it is initially creepy early on about his attitude towards young girls, they are girls around his apparent age group. As he ages, he doesn't continue to go after young girls (though he does make comments about them), but focuses primarily on women around his physical age. This can put off a lot of people, as we view him as still being a 40+ year old going after children. I personally let it slide as he never actually crosses the line. Eris was the only one he consistently harassed, and she would always smack him for it (but accepted him as he was not only basically the only person to not only keep coming back after being hit, but also stayed with her when she needed him). Sylphy, having been exposed to Asuran nobels, wasn't bothered a whole lot by it, so only rebukes him when he acts like that in public. Roxxy didn't care about the perversion at the start, cause he was basically a cute kid doing things. Later on, she's basically the same as Sylphy as she doesn't mind if it is private, but reprimands him if done in public.
    I personally enjoyed watching his growth from garbage into a decent person. He still has his vices, but wasn't nearly as bad as he could be. As for getting away with doing whatever to his wives, I find it worth noting that the idea is that they are accepting him for who he is, and are aware that an aspect of him showing his love for them is when he gets overly physical. I am by no means saying this auto excuses anything he does to them (he has been rebuked for it before after all), but that they have accepted this as part of his personality and are willing to put up with it. It may still be a form of wish fullfillment, but it made sense to me still. Towards his mother, while initially he had perverted thoughts towards her, they didn't seem to last long. With his sisters, I can't recall any perverted thoughts towards them. On the contrary, I recall him stating that "it's nice to love without lust" when commenting on one of his sisters. I'm not saying he's the best person ever, but he does improve over time. Granted, some parts of him don't really change, as he still does the perverted acts all the time. On the other hand, after he grows older, those acts are mainly focused on his wives, as opposed to everyone he sees.

TLDR: He's creepy at first, then grows up and it's less so due to reasons.

ln_ likes this.
  18. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    yes it sucks but you cannot stop people from liking it, I dropped it after 30 chaps or so

19. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't like MC.
    Still read the novel.
    Still found it entertaining. So?

20. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    It's meh and i have no strong feelings about the work or the character in either way.