Mushoku Tensei Sucks?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Smooth Che, May 21, 2016.

1. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked the art for the manga, and that was pretty much it. Well, I also never finished the story. But! I did read the epilogue chapters, which I liked better than anything else, really. I tend to just like epilogue chapters though.

2. Baddiez

Baddiez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another case of applying modern day morals and standards to a fantasy novel and argue how bad it is....There should be a tag for that...No Real World Morals.

The story was good for me until the late middle to end. It just went downhill from then IMO.

3. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    serves you right, next time have your own opinion :p

4. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    You should rename the thread to "Japanese novels suck" I'm no expert here as I've only read a few, but those are the most popular ones. Overlord is so longwinded and boring that only makes anime worth watching, still anime keeps the lame sex humour.. Shield bro was ruined by harem as was Arifureta...so I don't know any JP novel that I've read trough and trough. Face it, even you if you like you know it's trash, same as with standard xianxia but at least there is some gold there :p

5. Rarylith

Rarylith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the same problem with this series as the author of this thread, i stopped reading at his second point and it made me sick just thinking about it. I can't "identify" myself to a piece of trash like that.

I'm no expert either but as far as i have read there's too much pervert heroes in the Japanese novel i had the opportunity to read, too much lolicon, too much rapist, too much piece of shit in general and the title of their series is too fucking long.

So far the only series that i liked is "Mahouka Koukou rettousei" which is real good and another i have seen the anime for that i want to give a test is "Mondaiji-Tachi."

There's a lot of bad character in Korean & Chinese novel too but i found out a lot more things to read in those language.

ln_ likes this.
  6. ln_

ln_ All hail Master Roshi

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this is to do with writing styles than with the novel itself.

I personally loved Mushoku Tensei. The point of this novel is not the MC at all. The novel is great because unlike many other novels, you get a true feel of the world. You get to know about how the continents are laid, the kinds of conflicts between the continents, the various races and their issues as well as some history on what has happened. [In many novels, like WDKQ, you get more focus on a single character and other side characters are usually ignored. Even the world is quite ambiguous and you do not get a feel of where things are. He just keeps going out randomly but the story seems fast because there are more fights.]

The harem is great because they feel real. Why he likes each girl and marries each girl is quite deep instead of "you're beautiful, so you are mine harems". In fact, you will see more fans of his wives (I am not mentioning the names because you have not progressed far enough) than you would ever find for the MC.

The villian, so to speak is also quite desperate and you can even empathize with him to a certain extend.

There is a lot of comedy. However, it is not an angry youth novel.

Again it has not much to do with world building. It is more like how the character explores a new world while contemplating how not to screw up. I know you might be appalled by the very docile attitude of the MC but you need to look at it from a modern man's point of view.