My Annoying Aura Follows Me Into Another World

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by SlashCrit, Jan 30, 2016.

?

Do you like the story so far and want more chapters?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2016.
  1. Yes and Yes

27 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Yes and No

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. No and Yes

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. No and No

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You fixed it already, but it's the part after the notifications, the italic and bold continued till the end

SlashCrit likes this.
  2. SlashCrit

SlashCrit 『Young King of ♥』『Lawyer/Bartender』

Reading List:
    Link
    *Clicks tongue*
    Ah..
    *Whistles innocently*
    Wha-wha-what are you talking bout?

Ryuubii likes this.
  3. Ryuubii

Reading List:
    Link
    Suspicious~ *stares*

SlashCrit likes this.
  4. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 30.5: Intermission

Part 1

-Serena POV-

"Arius Mizastrum Seizes"

I chant a spirit spell targeting the rushing warriors..

A stirring in the atmosphere creates an ominous wind..

A moment of silence ensued before large tree branches sprout from the ground, grabbing the startled soldiers, and gouging out the opened earth, leaving large holes in its wake..

"""""GUUUUUUUUUUUUU"""""

Approximately five large treants were summoned with my spell, and are decimating the enemy troops..

"Wha-where did these things come from?!"

"No, I don't want to die!"

The screams and squeals of dying men fill the battlefield, countless bodies flew, spraying large amounts of blood..

If this was the me from ten years ago, I would want to look away from this scene of carnage, since I would inevitably release whatever I ate that day and then some from my mouth..

But, I have already gotten used to seeing this scene..

So now, I just learned to treat it like it was natural, this was war of course..

Oh, it seems that my treants have finished annihilating the whole platoon. They are now forming a line in front of me..

"Now, go back to the earth from whence you came, [Release]"

When I said the keyword to release the skill, their bodies immediately broke down into broken wood and dirt..

These were creatures summoned to do my bidding using my unique skill, [Nature Magic]..

It was a type of magic that allowed me to control anything related to the plants and earth. It was already proven that among the elves, I was the only one who could use it. Since they said that they have never heard of it before when I questioned them about it, I might even be the only one that can on this entire globe..

Or at least, I think it's a globe..

I wasn't very keen on geography much, but even if I was, I had no way of finding out whether this world was round or flat, so I let it be. So far, during these 12 years of war, I have learned to hone my skills under the tutelage of my teacher, who was the one who guided me on everything I needed to know about this world, "Quadra"..

But, for the past two years, I haven't seen her since they said she went off on a mission..

So, I asked them what was the mission, and inquired about when she would be back. They, after hearing my question, had a strange look on their faces. They told me that it wasn't going to be long, she would be back before I knew it..

But, two years have already passed, and not one of them was worried, or asked how she has been. At first, I thought that the elves were heartless so I once blew up in front of them, but it seemed that I was the one who was strange..

Well, two years are not really that long for the elven race, so they openly showed their indifferent expressions..

But, I am different. Since I knew that I wasn't a normal elf. I was once, a human..

My sense of time was several times faster than theirs, since I was used to running late to school most mornings..

Those were the days, when I overslept, no one would wake me, since I lived alone, away from my parents in the countryside. People around me were a blur, and they too, were rushing to their various appointments..

For humans, life is short. But for the me right now, I have all the time in the world. Still, I just can't get used to it..

Taking my time, at a snails pace..

While moving back to the [World Tree], our headquarters, I recall my previous life, and the world I left behind..

My name is, or was, Kudou Karen..

A simple name, living in a modest apartment, going to a middle-tier high school..

At school, I was never the athletic type. Instead of joining the various sports clubs, I spent my time reading any book I could find in the library, listening in class, and researching various knowledge..

Naturally, I wasn't always like that. When I was a kid, I loved to play with dolls and hang out with my classmates..

By chance, I had scored higher than the kids in my class, enticing my parents to say that they were proud of me..

I was happy to receive praise, but I really didn't try that hard. It was just my luck, I guess..

But when I tried to tell them that, I couldn't. I didn't want to wipe the smile off their faces. So, I tried a little harder during tests, so that my parents would be happy, praising me more. Due to this, they decided to send me to a cram school to further enrich my intelligence. It was an expensive school. I guess they were too excited, that they splurged..

I regretted my decision, for it only brought me more work, and less time for playing with my friends..

I decided to stay for one day, then not try at all, to show my parents that this cram school wouldn't help me in any way. Forcing them to cancel it, and send me home. I wasn't too scared of being reprimanded since, looking at all these children from rich families gathering here, I could tell that they were not as smart as me..

I would probably score top even if I didn't try during the mock exams considering the others are just trying to catch up with supplementary lessons, compared to me that was usually one step ahead of our teacher during class time..

So, the instructor taught us things that I already understood, and in the last hour, we had a test..

I answered the test like I always did, calm and quickly..

Looking around, I finished faster than the others, causing me to puff my chest out in pride. But then, when I walked up to the instructor's table, I saw a finished paper on it, that surprised me..

Considering the test started forty-five minutes ago, did someone finish it in that short amount of time?

No, I must have been overthinking this, whoever the person was, I was sure that he/she just scribbled wrong answers on their paper since they didn't know the correct ones..

I said that to myself self-assuredly, and went home after submitting the finished paper..

When I got home, my parents asked me how it went, so I told them about how there wasn't anything I could learn from there and persuaded them to reconsider. They said that they will think about it when they get the results..

I nodded, and went to bed. But that night, I could hardly fall asleep, thinking about the test results, even if I knew that it wasn't important. I forced myself to believe that I would naturally get first place, considering my talent..

The next day, I went with my parents to see the results..

I had scored an 89/100 on that test. Normally, I would be proud of that score considering I barely tried to think about the questions seriously. Except, that I only got second place in the rankings..

When I saw that number next to my name, I was shocked, and in the next moment, angry. Angry at whoever had the top place, instead of me, ruining my plans to persuade my parents into withdrawing me from here..

I looked for the first placer's name, which wasn't hard, considering I only had to look at the place that was higher than my name. But strangely, I was really reluctant on seeing it, maybe I was embarrassed..

The name, "Suzuya Junichiro" was plastered with big letters right above my name, with the number "1" right next to it..

It seemed to be a boy's name, so I looked at his score. "100/100" it said. A perfect score that brought my spirits down..

I didn't know why it did, considering I didn't take it seriously. But it still hurt for some reason, being beat..

Instead of answering my parents' happy appearances praising my rank, I was moving towards the instructor's office to ask about the identity of the mysterious top placer..

When I told him my troubles, he said that it was the boy that passed the test the earliest, "5 minutes" he said..

When I heard it, it was unbelievable..

How could someone finish that exam designed for upper levels, had over a hundred questions, in a measly five minutes..

I was disillusioned, so I asked the instructor on who that boy was, telling him I was curious..

He lead me back to where the rankings were posted, and pointed towards the direction of a boy..

I looked at him. He was a black-haired boy with dark eyes, pale skin, and handsome facial features. He looked slightly taller than the others his age. He would be considered sweet and innocent, if he didn't have that dull look on his face..

I tried to walk up to him, but my parents blocked my path, saying that they were proud of me and such..

To be honest, they were obstructing me from speaking to the mysterious boy. While I was being held up, the boy looked at his name on the top part, like it was natural. The action seemed so arrogant, it made me mad. When I was about to call out to him, he quickly went out of the building, entering a tall, sleek, black car that looked expensive, with a butler waiting on him, holding open the car door. I concluded that he was one of the rich children, which infuriated me even more than before..

That night, I told my parents that they didn't need to withdraw me. They were surprised for a moment, but quickly said that it was what they were planning on doing from the start. I went up to my room, and couldn't sleep a wink, since I was studying all night, preparing for the next battle..

The next day, I had no sleep, and there were bags under my eyes. Even though that was the case, I was really pumped and energized when I made it to the cram school..

After a few minutes of reviewing, he entered right before the class started..

So, I stood up from my seat, and approached him with heavy steps, emphasizing my anger..

I greeted him by shouting angrily in front of his face, while simultaneously pointing my finger at him. He was startled for a moment, but in the next, he went back to his bored, sullen expression..

I only got further enraged at his nonchalant expression, and started to say embarrassing things like challenging him during the test and the like. No matter how much I spouted cliched lines at him, all he said in reply was..

{"Is that so...Well, good luck with that.."}

He said, as he gestured to shoo me away like I wasn't even registered in his eyes..

It was the first time that I experienced that kind of attitude when talking to me..

Completely opposite to how my friends from school treated me..

Right then and there, I decided to dedicate my all, showing him who was the superior one, forcing him to take notice of me. So, we had our second match, with me getting serious for some unknown reason..

The result..

"Suzuya Junichiro 1st Place: 100/100"

"Kudou Karen 2nd Place: 95/100" "Saiba Konoe 3rd Place: 73/100"

I was mortified..

I thought I had prepared everything, but there were harder questions mixed in that I had no clue about..

But what really made me depressed was, even though that that was the case, that guy still finished in the same time as yesterday's test. He made it look like it was easy. But, this only lasted for a moment, because I experienced something that I had never felt before, burning rivalry..

After looking at the results, I steeled myself saying that I will get him next time..

Naturally, I also said that out loud, to the person in question..

{"Try as you might, you cannot break through the wall called talent.."}

Is what he said while maintaining an indifferent expression, walking as calm as possible..

Those words changed me..

Even if the person in question didn't know it..

From that moment on, I strived to better myself in academics, giving up the few joys in life, in order to show that arrogant person that hard work can overcome pure talent..

I studied and studied until I had gotten sick..

And then studied once more, after I was cured..

Every time we took the test, I kept losing and losing to him, always being stuck in second place..

But, strangely I wasn't tired of it..

Before I noticed it, it had become my usual routine..

I also picked up a habit of reading every book I could get my hands on..

Years passed by, and before I knew it, I was chasing his back every time I saw him..

That cool, indifferent attitude, changed a bit, into a rarely smiling black-haired boy..

But no matter how his attitude change, the results were cruel..

Still, one time, he tried to encourage me after my 100th loss to him..

{"I'm impressed that you still haven't given up. I changed my opinion of you."}

I still told him that I wont be satisfied until I beat him..

To that, he chuckled a bit, and showed a bright, encouraging smile..

{"Well, try your best then, I'll be waiting for you to catch up.."}

That time, my heart was weirdly beating faster than normal, but I didn't know what to do with it, so I ran away..

Little did I know that, that was the last time we would speak to each other..

5. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2

When I graduated from grade school, I moved up from the lower class to the advanced classes that was designed for middle school students and its curriculum..

I took the first test, fully preparing myself to win..

But the results shocked even me..

"Kudou Karen 1st Place: 100/100"

I was elated..

It was the first time I saw my name at the top, written in big, bold letters..

As I was jumping for joy, and puffing out my chest in pride, I looked below my name, looking at the others..

Then, it hit me..

It wasn't there..

His name wasn't there..

Did he fail? No, that would still be recorded at the bottom of the list, but there wasn't any name like that there..

I panicked, so I went to the instructor's office to ask about it..

When I said my take, he made an apologetic expression, and patted my head..

Gently telling me that the boy didn't move up to the advanced levels, instead, he withdrew from the entire cram school entirely. He continued, telling me that he had been caught up in a fire incident, and had to be hospitalized for an indefinite amount of time. When I asked if he was alright, he assured me that he was fine..

I was relieved, but at the same time, depressed..

The only time I took first place was when he was in a coma..

The mesmerizing feeling from before vanished as if it was a lie, leaving an empty, bittersweet victory..

A few months passed, and I heard that he got discharged from the hospital..

I was elated, so I anxiously waited for his return..

But, he never did. He never once shown his face in the cram school ever again..

I got mad, thinking it was my fault, so I tracked him down, into his middle school..

When I found him, eating lunch alone, I tried to get close and call out to him, but..

I suddenly felt a cold shiver down my spine, and it only persisted the more I went closer to him..

When I took a look at him, he looked very different from before..

Gone was the indifferent, calm attitude of the past..

The him that time, was to be honest, scary..

He had a grim smile plastered on his face when he greeted people, and they, in turn, ran away..

So, I gave up on speaking to him directly since I was shaking in my boots..

I decided to send him a letter instead. Filled with stuff such as my name, and how has he been, and if he's coming back to the cram school to continue the long-standing battle..

I sent it to his address filled with anxiety..

After a few days, I received a reply..

With trembling fingers, I opened it..

"I am terribly sorry, but this must have been sent to the wrong address since I do not even know who you are. Thank you"

Is what the words in the letter said..

Naturally, my spirits went way down after..

I immediately recovered from the surprising mental damage, and took account the possibility of amnesia..

It wasn't strange, considering the accident and it's consequences..

I just had to live from that day on, without the thrill of competition..

It wasn't easy, but I adapted myself to my new life in middle school..

I took top spot in everything because the students there were about average compared to Suzuya-kun..

Every day was boring compared to the days of my childhood..

Still, I became student council president, and helped a lot of people..

But some days, I remembered the times I spent with that boy, finding myself in a nostalgic grin sometimes..

I didn't notice it then, but I think I admired him way back from when I was a child..

I just regretted the fact, that I realized that I wanted to get along with him, until it was too late..

Sometimes, I saw him passing by on the sidewalk, with people running away from him?

Anyway, no matter how hard I tried getting close, something would obstruct me, and I didn't know what..

I could only reluctantly watch him from afar, being depressed at times when I looked at him..

When I made it into high school, I joined the literature club, and made new friends..

In my second year, I got into the top 10 of the entire nation's mock exam..

Getting me a full scholarship into my chosen university..

I had my future laid out for me in stone..

Since my parents didn't need to pay for my school fees anymore, they decided to retire from their jobs and return to the country side to live with my grandparents..

It was decided that I would live by myself in an apartment that they would pay for..

Life was moving at a normal, smooth pace..

Until that time..

One day, when I was walking with my friends from school after finishing out weekly meeting, I noticed that I had no ingredients for dinner, so I went to the supermarket and bought some vegetables and meat..

When I got out, it was getting dark, so I decided to take a detour into the shortest route towards my apartment through the central park located in the middle of the city..

When I walked along, almost making it back, I saw some children playing football in the park..

I smiled at the scene. When suddenly, the ball went into the direction of the road, passing right in front of me..

When I was about to get it for them, a child started running towards the ball in the middle of the highway before I could notice. When I did, I tried to warn him, and call him back..

But, as fate would have it, a delivery truck which was bigger than most was coming into the kid's direction at a high speed. When I saw this, I shouted at the kid to run, but he was scared stiff..

His legs couldn't move since he was too scared to think clearly, I got mad at the kid, and myself for failing to stop him earlier. Before I knew it, my body was moving towards the kid..

I pushed him out of the way, letting him hit the sidewalk, knocking him unconscious, replacing him in the middle of the road, right in the path of the moving vehicle..

The last thing I saw was two flashing lights, and the sound of a horn..

When I regained my sense of awareness, I was in a white room..

It was a large space, with plants and exotic flowers decorating the interior, making the place look natural..

{"Welcome, hero"}

I heard a voice, that seemed to have belonged to a woman..

I searched around the room, and found a lone woman, sitting on a wooden throne, covered with vines, thorns, and flowers, decorating the fine chair to look almost divine..

The woman looked to be in her early 20's with light-brown skin, green, lustrous hair, a shapely body, pretty features, emerald-colored eyes, and wore a Greek tunic with flower petals adorning it..

I asked the woman on what she said, and she started to speak..

According to the explanation, her name was "Avaceris", the Nature Goddess who rules over the "Western Continent, Neriad". Various fairy-race live here, and it was blessed with the most abundant source of food, and medicine..

She said that she had saved me from my impending death, and summoned me to be her hero. When I inquired more about it, she told me that a war was unavoidable between the other gods and their respective heroes..

There were four in total, and I was one of them. I told her explicitly that I was no good in anything except studying, so I told her not to expect anything. She giggled at my rant, and said that I needn't have to worry, for she would give me one of the most powerful magic available, "Nature Magic". I was slightly interested in this, so I probed a little further..

After all was said and done, I asked one last time if I can go back to the previous world. She replied that it was impossible. Well, it's understandable, I might have already been treated as a deceased person there anyway..

Since there was no other choice, I accepted her proposal..

When I regained my bearings, I found myself in a baby's body..

I didn't sign up for this..

I thought I would come into this world as is, but I guess you cannot always get what you want in life..

It turns out, my new parents named me "Serena La Aurera"

It was a beautiful name for someone as simple as me..

So, after growing a few years, I realized that I was reincarnated as an elf with my memories intact..

I had long, blonde hair, green eyes, snow-white skin, and long ears..

Naturally, old habits die hard, so I consumed all the information around me greedily, and without missing a single one..

After that, I started training myself for the future battles..

This world seemed to be likened to a game, considering the various windows that popped out at times, and my status and skills were no different..

While I was training, the leader of the elf clan, and the human continent started declaring war unto each other..

I wasn't interested in politics so I didn't inquire about the reason..

But, since I didn't hide that I could use "Spirit Magic" at a young age, which was a magic distinct to the fairy race, I was forced to enlist in fighting in the war, at the tender age of five years old..

It was unreasonable no matter how you looked at it..

No matter how much I complained, I was still forced to go..

In my first debut on the fields of war, I killed my first person with "Nature Magic", the strongest spell I had in my arsenal in fact, since I was too nervous and scared, coupled with the fact that blood and screams filled the air..

Naturally, I wanted to throw up, since I came from the peaceful land of Japan, bloodshed was unknown to me..

I always thought that I could handle it when I experienced it. But when faced with the real thing, I was weak..

Just as I let my guard down, a human soldier was about to attack me, the lone, careless, vomiting elf..

But right as I regretted my overconfidence, "she" appeared..

One of the high elders of the elven race, my teacher, "Cersei Fauna Leislaine"

She looked as if she was shorter than average child, with a small, rounded face, but her eyes were filled with intelligence and experience she had gained over the years due to her long lifespan..

She saved my life, and after that, she took me in as her own, and started training me on the ways of magic..

Since she was one of the most powerful beings of the fairy race in relation to magic, I was happy at the time that I was under her tutelage. Being with her, naturally made me respect her and her way of life..

I will always be indebted to this person who saved my life, and gave it meaning..

After 10 years, the war still continued, even though we were overpowering them, they still had the advantage in numbers and tactics, so it has been a stalemate for a long time, at least, in the case of me, and the humans..

Not so much for the elves, with their twisted outlook on time..

I have grown strong, with countless experiences with strong people during the war, developing skills and techniques..

This new body was naturally agile and nimble as if I was moving with the wind..

I am confident that I would bring victory to the goddess who saved me, by defeating the other heroes..

As I was thinking that, I noticed that I had arrived at the [World Tree]..

So, I entered the gigantic headquarters and reported the completion of my mission to the intelligence squadron..

After that, I moved towards my home, well, truthfully it was still teacher's home..

The large house made out of sturdy wood from the [World Tree] was located on top of one of the most tallest trees in the forest, which was rare, considering the large amount of tall trees..

I made my way up using the vines, invoking "Nature Magic", and disabling the traps with "Spirit Magic"..

There, I sensed a presence inside..

I immediately switched into caution mode, and stealthily sneaked in..

The presence that I thought to be a spy, or a thief was in teacher's room..

When I preset my invoked spirit magic, getting ready to attack, I opened the door..

"Eh?"

What I found was, something that made my mouth drop, making me loose all tension..

A petite girl with long ears, and golden hair was facing the bed, showing her back covered with a thin, black coat to me..

In her line of vision were two bodies, sprawled unconscious on the soft bed, laying there peacefully..

They seemed to be two elven children that looked familiar, a little boy and girl with slightly similar features..

But, I couldn't pay attention to that now, there was a more pressing problem..

"C-cersei-shishou?"

The other party seemed to have noticed me, and started turning around..

When she saw me, she put both hands on her hips, beamed a bright smile, and said..

"Ah, it's Serena huh, I'm home!"

6. Ryuubii

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, is the person in the interlude a girl or a boy

7. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Really bro, you think a name Karen can be a guy, pls..

8. Ryuubii

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh, hahaha

9. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Heya SlashCrit here, this is my first sponsored chapter! A big thank you to Gerard, my first ever
    donator! Well, that's all from me, enjoy the sponsored chapter!

Part 1

The frigid cold breeze hits my skin..

Exhaling a visible burst of air from my mouth, dispersing into the atmosphere..

Drops of pure white snowfall are landing on my shoulders..

I would dust them off, but it would be a waste of energy..

Living with the principle, to not do anything that yields different results than the former..

In other words, an action that will not change anything, is better off being ignored..

I deliberate about philosophical ideals and observations while I trudge through the ever-decreasing temperature..

The surroundings were already blanketed with a sheet of dazzling white snow..

Seasons in the other world remained the same as they do on Earth, was what I concluded inside my thoughts..

It has been a few days since I've started moving towards the "Elven Continent" to find the whereabouts of the two..

I did not need to rush since I could sense their trail of magic, and I could faintly feel that they were safe through the connection of the slave contract in these strange tattoos..

In the meantime, I was walking at a leisurely pace, studying more and more about this world and it's inhabitants..

A basic thing to do in another world, which any normal human being would do if they got sent to something as strange as a fantasy world, different from his own, but no, the other personality completely ignored this fact, and just went on with whatever people would say, letting everything go, and acting like he didn't need to know..

Honestly, this makes me slightly irritated..

I wondered how he even got this far without basic common sense..

Before I noticed it, my head was hurting, and I found my palm stuck to my forehead..

"(Sigh) I guess the sad thing is, that it was technically me who did those things.."

Ah, I can feel my pride of being called a genius breaking into little tiny pieces..

I never really thought about it to this extent, but now that I did, I'm becoming more and more depressed at myself..

So far, while observing the various trees, pathways, people that passed my way, I have gotten the gist of it..

The humans who inhabit this world, seemed to look like foreigners, but with different colored eyes and hair color than those who lived on Earth. In fact, I have never thus far, come across someone who looked like a Japanese person..

The civilization level at which this world has attained, was quite frankly, outdated..

It was set in the middle ages, where modern technology was not yet introduced, and the world was much simpler..

Except, that this world has the existence of magic..

[Magic], was the general term of all supernatural phenomena that happens in every day life..

I happened upon a peddler, who was traveling from city to city, and perused his goods..

Only to find a book about [Elementary Magic] and it's origin that cost me a quite expensive sum of 1 large silver coin,,

I guess books were expensive in this world, even though it was just a book for beginners..

When I opened the book while setting up camp one night, I noticed that the paper used to manufacture it, was not the smooth, clear white paperback that I was used to..

It felt rough, slightly like sandpaper, but more brownish in color..

Based on this, the material was something that I have read about in the past, a rough texture of papyrus, made from the leaves of a papyrus plant back in the earlier times of human civilization..

Still, the words were written in black tinted ink, and it was readable due to my skill..

From the information that I got from the book, [Magic] was divided into different types and realms, the known applications of magic were as follows, [Elemental Magic], [Spirit Magic], and [Summoning Magic]..

The book had no further information about the latter two, since the main type of magic that the humans can use, and have been using for a long time, is [Elemental Magic], which was the magic that had chants and spells in line with the different elements that were present in this world..

The various elements were [Fire Magic], [Water Magic], [Earth Magic], [Wind Magic], [Ice Magic], [Lightning Magic], [Light Magic], and [Dark Magic]. There was also a type that deviated from the norm, [Non-Attribute Magic]..

This magic was also called [Daily-life Magic] since it was used for trivial purposes. An example of this type of magic would be the chant to summon the [Guild Card], and [Appraisal] that some wealthy merchants know..

It turns out, that humans were born with the innate ability to control magic, and they each had different elements in line with their birth, some rare ones would be born once in a blue moon, that controlled two elements of magic..

For the other races, I'm not so sure since I have yet to collect information about them and their strengths..

The reason I am doing this is because this information is crucial if I want to fulfill the request of that damn mysterious god, who when I saw, had unfathomable strength..

My other personality could not see through his playful attitude, but I could see that in my present state, I was not enough to defeat him, in a fair fight..

So, in light of that, I inferred that if that guy had that much strength, what's to say about the others..

The other reason was, that I was slightly elated at learning new things in a different world, since absorbing knowledge had become second nature to me, and I could not control my instincts..

I am not, in the least embarrassed to admit this part of myself..

In terms of wealth, I had no problem on that front, considering the large amount amassed by my teacher..

In my travels, I have experienced what it felt like to camp outside for the first time, and fending off demons in the night, attracted by the scent of food. Although, the food didn't taste as good as before, but since I followed all the instructions in my head, I decided to let it off as me, thinking about it too much..

The more I walked towards the direction of the west, the less people passed by me, and now, there were none at all..

I think I made it to where there were no cities nearby..

There was one time I got assaulted by bandits on the roadway though, now that I recall, it was pretty amusing..

{"Halt! Hey strange purple-headed kid, leave your money and belongings here, or do you want some trouble?"}

He said as he moved his cloak, revealing a long sword sheathed at his side..

The man looked scruffy, like he was inebriated every single day, an unhealthy pale complexion, and gruff voice..

He was surrounded by about 10-15 men that looked like him, but only more ugly, in both meanings of the word..

When they heard what the guy that seemed to be their leader said, they looked at me, and then snickered like hyenas..

I could only sigh at the scene in my head that time..

{"Oi, brat, didn't you hear me? Leave your stuff here and scram!"}

I decided not to mind them, and calmly walked through the side of the leader, and his lackeys, making them dumbfounded for a moment, to the extent that some even absentmindedly let me pass..

Were all the bandits in this world stupid like this? Was the thought I had in my head that time..

When they regained their bearings they got angry of course, and looked towards the direction that I walked..

Naturally, I wasn't there anymore since I used [Aura Flash] to get a certain distance away from their perception..

I thought they gave up with this, but I was wrong..

The day after, I was resuming my walk, and had just finished packing up the travelling tent, and various utensils..

When I sensed a large amount of anger and blood lust at my back..

At that split second, I dodged a sword swing aimed at my head, by dropping down my body into a crouching position..

Then, put my hands on the ground, and lifted my body up, twisting my limbs, and finally struck the assailant in the chin with a fast leg kick to his lower jaw, knocking him away unconscious..

When I turned around, it turned out to be a lackey from the bandits that I met the day before, and the leader, including the others had surrounded my position..

There were men with swords unsheathed at the ready, glaring at me with red faces, and veins that almost seemed to pop out of their foreheads, men armed with bows at the sides, preparing to shoot at me at the moment the order from their leader arrives, and people with bucklers to defend against attacks..

They must have been mad at my arrogance and decided to pursue me, even at the cost of getting tired..

But, I am impressed at how they came up with this plan, I guess there was something in that leader's head after all..

Yes, I'm trapped, cornered at all sides, having nowhere to run to, victory was assured, was what they were thinking..

A testament to that conjecture was the wide grin on the bandit leader's face, with a self-serving attitude..

I guess there was no choice..

{"Don't blame me for this alright, you were the ones who decided to follow me.."}

With those words as the provocation, the leader was angered, but still retained his smile, and gave the order to attack..

While simultaneously, I made up a plan on the spot, and moved at a speed they couldn't follow with my enhanced muscles, limbs, and senses. The bows were shot, the men screamed a half-assed war cry and proceeded to direct their killing intent in the direction I was in..

Naturally, they found nothing but empty air as their targets..

This scene made them surprised and disillusioned at the same time, questioning their eyes..

They remained stock still for a few seconds in order to register the situation..

Those few seconds were all that I needed..

After a short amount of time, which could also be called, a moment, 14 bodies dropped to the dry earth..

The big smile that the man put on, turned upside down, into a grimace..

Sweat gathered at his forehead, and his mouth slightly hanged open..

{"Wha-a-what! What happened?!?"}

Is what the man with a strange tone in his voice grumbled and shouted short of breath..

{"Sleep tight.."}

Were the final words the man heard before his short, amusing end..

Which didn't happen since I only knocked him unconscious..

Along with all his ill-looking subordinates..

I wasn't really that mad, since they didn't even do anything to me, so I rounded up all their bodies and tied them up to a big tree with a rope that I bought from a peddler some time ago..

Yes, one of the things that was annoying was ironically the highlight of my trip so far..

It's kind of dull walking through this world with no one to share it with..

Those kids taught me that, a lesson that slightly changed my outlook on life..

Anyway, I have not yet come across a single person ever since I met those bandits from before..

I guess this means that I'm getting close?

While I was thinking that, I noticed something running in my direction..

I made it out to be something that was not human..

Since it was over 5 meters tall, with a gigantic stature, white fur, and bright yellow eyes filled with rage..

In my vast knowledge, it was likened to a gorilla from my world, but it was an albino one..

Albeit the fact that it was taller and larger than the average gorilla, it also moved at speeds the latter couldn't dream of doing in its entire lifetime..

Which meant that it was another type of demonic beast that roamed the continent..

I opened my eye-patch, revealing the sapphire-colored eye, and invoked [Aura Eyes]..

You see, my heterochromatic eyes had influenced the skill, changing it into a skill having various effects..

The blue eye, which was normally used by the other Orion, had the power to [Appraise], and [Identify] every single thing, whether it be an item, person, plant, or beast.

While the red eye, which I currently had out, had the ability to see through an opponent's moves and weak points, and combined with my reflexes, it stops them, rendering the attacks my opponents make nullified..

A passive skill of the blue eye was to see farther distances, while the red one was to perceive the flow of magic..

If you asked me, it was too excessive, but since it was convenient, I would gladly make use of it..

There were three beasts, so I used my skill on them one by one..

Collectively, they were called, [Snow Wind Beast], but the larger one in the middle was different..

It seemed that it was their leader since it's name was [Groen the Snow Wind Beast King]..

Such an over-exaggerated name for an over-sized gorilla..

Were the insulting thoughts I had swimming in my head at this time..

But wait, this was a new discovery, considering demonic beasts can be named, it made me wonder who named this one..

Well, I'll keep it in mind, but for now, they're coming..

10. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2

-Lena's POV-

We were currently moving outside of the village to hunt for some game in the forest..

This was because we had to, considering winter was coming soon, and it will make it that much harder to procure food..

I was one of the hunters in this village, I excelled in using traps and pitfalls in hunting beasts..

Making up a big part of our hunter team..

We four, Dale, Sharl, Kizu, and I were childhood friends that grew up in this village, and trained under a passing knight..

He came to our village one day, and taught the children how to protect themselves..

We were excited since he said that he was one of the "Heavenly 15"..

That group was famous, since it was one of the very top positions of the imperial army, directly serving royalty..

They are said to have immense power, bringing down beasts and demons in a single strike..

From the news in the village, they were going to the war with the "Elven Continent" to push them back, and win for us..

He was a kind old man with much knowledge, and even if he was old, he didn't feel senile..

It was like he was a seasoned veteran going into war with a smile on his face..

Anyway, under his tutelage, we became strong, strong enough to hunt beasts for our meals..

So, we were hired by the village chief when we grew up, to be hunters for the entire village..

Since this village was far from the other cities, it was understandable that we had to hunt, since it was very rare to have travelling peddlers and merchants visit us and trade their wares..

For years, we have been hunting with this formation..

Dale, was a swordsman, he had the class [Warrior] in his status so it was indisputable..

Sharl, was our healer, she went to the holy church once in "Virgo City", the city that worships Solaris-sama..

Kizu was our scout, he used a bow and a short dagger, and had keen eyesight and senses, warning us from danger..

With me, the trap specialist, we made our hunting party..

Alone, we would have had a hard time catching even one, but together we hunted [Demon Rabbit], [Demon Deer], and sometimes even [Demon Boar] on special occasion..

Today, was an important day since for some reason, most kids in the village were infected with an illness all at the same time, so we needed more food than usual..

While laughing, chatting, and planning our capture route when we were walking to the forest, we arrived..

So, we entered the forest, preparing ourselves, and searched for our prey..

After a few hours, we caught a few [Demon Rabbits] and [Snow Sparrows]..

But, this wasn't enough..

The kids needed food to live, and I didn't want to be the cause of their depleting health..

It just wouldn't sit right with me, so I proposed that we should go deeper in the forest to hunt bigger game..

I told them that since it was winter, most of the beasts would hide in the inner portion of the forest..

They were reluctant, but even so, they agreed with me due to the small amount of game we hunted..

I knew the forest was filled with unknown dangers, but I had to take the risk, since it was for the children..

With a renewed determination, we went deeper..

Turns out, it wasn't that dangerous, considering our planning tactics, such as, attacking them when they are alone, and making little to no sound when sneaking around..

Or shooting them from far away, and trapping them in holes we dug..

It was going smoothly, so when we noticed that we caught enough, evident by the almost-bursting rucksacks..

We turned around, and went back to the village, following the trail..

On our way out of the forest, we were talking about our various feats today, which beast we killed, how we killed them..

Things like that, it was a nice atmosphere, that just relaxed your mind after a hectic day..

Thinking things like today was a great haul, and suggestions that we should go deeper from now on..

Trivial topics were the best, at least for me..

But, we were too naive, we let our guard down the moment we saw that we were out of the forest's range..

We suddenly heard an angry growl that was so loud, it made me shiver unconsciously..

When we turned around, we saw the rustling of trees, and heard loud thuds in the forest..

After a few seconds, two bright, golden eyes were visible in the darkness of the forest interior..

Then what followed were two more pairs of eyes, but this time, they were red..

They were staring right at us..

It was strange since I wanted to run away from the scary scene, but I just couldn't help looking back..

I couldn't even move if I wanted to, since my legs were shaking, regardless..

I was stuck in place, like the prey in the face of its predator, we were sweating, and quaking in fear..

What came out were fangs, a massive body, tall, tree-like arms, and a scowling face that seemed enraged..

But the bigger one, even more so..

I was suddenly reminded of the stories they used to tell you when you were a child in the village..

That if we were bad, the snow demon will get you..

I treated it like any other tale, something that wasn't real..

But now I stand corrected, it wasn't a work of our imagination, this was real..

The danger I feel could only support that this wasn't a dream, but a terribly cold reality..

It must have followed us from the forest, since it might have made his home there, and we stole it's prey..

I could only arrive at that reason when thinking about the situation..

But I wasn't calm. I was despairing at our bad luck, at why this had to happen just because I wanted to save the children..

"Kizu, take the girls and run! I'll buy time, go!"

A loud voice interrupted my thoughts..

It came from Dale, our party leader, while he brandished his sword, pointing towards the beasts, showing his back to us..

Right now, his back looked reliable, but I knew he was afraid too, and I could never forgive myself if I left a friend to die..

So, I gathered up my courage and told them that I will fight with Dale..

The others looked at me like I was saying something crazy, but they soon changed into daring smiles..

They said that they would join in too, since they couldn't force themselves to leave us behind..

Maybe they were right, this is crazy, but this is what I've decided to do..

"You guys.."

"Don't be crying on me now, Dale. You're treating me to a drink once this is over.."

"A-ah, sure. Let's beat these things and head on home.."

The exchange between the two best friends, no two men who were willing to fight was heard..

Smiling fearlessly, we faced the demonic beasts with renewed vigor..

We started the attack..

First, Dale would slash at the leader, to keep it at bay, and we would kill the other two first with traps and long-range tactics, it was harsh for Dale, but it was the only plan we could come up with, given the situation..

So, Dale started sprinting towards the leader and held him back with his swordplay..

Or at least, should have been..

*Smack*

I was dumbfounded at the scene..

When Dale charged towards the beast's abdomen..

He was gone in the next moment..

One flick of the wrist, and he was sent flying..

The beast seemed amused and puffed out its chest slightly..

Dale, after flying in the air for a few seconds, landed on the cold, snowy ground..

He was coughing up blood, and I feared that he wouldn't last long, given the temperature of the air..

When this registered in my mind, I felt conflicting emotions come over me..

Anger, anger at the fact that our plan was useless, and that Dale might be gone in a few minutes..

Fear, fear at the entity before us, which treated humans like toys, and had enormous strength..

And helplessness, despairing the fact that I, we, couldn't do anything about it hurts the most..

After comprehending the simple fact that beating them wasn't possible, my legs suddenly lost strength..

The beast seemed satisfied, and came closer to us..

Kizu was shielding Sharl, and she was trying to heal Dale, as the beast slowly approached our personas..

This was the end, I thought..

The children wouldn't get their food, and the village will starve for the winter, were the thoughts that filled me with despair and grief while staring at the deep, bright eyes of the beast..

"I'm sorry.."

I say out loud, to at least ask for forgiveness to my friends, the children, and the entire village..

But I knew it was just self-satisfaction that I unconsciously said to make myself feel better..

It didn't matter either way..

So I closed my eyes and waited..

Just when I was thinking that, and accepted my fate, I heard a grunt from the creature..

I opened my eyes, and saw that the creature wasn't looking at me anymore, but was looking to the direction of the east..

Even though this was a grave situation, curiosity still got the best of me, and I turned my head sideways, like the beast..

I couldn't see anything in that direction, but after a few moments, I squinted my eyes, and slightly made out a dark silhouetted human-shaped shadow in the distance..

The moment that I saw that, the beast roared, and signaled to the others to follow him, was what I thought..

Since after the roar, he proceeded to run towards the mysterious silhouette, at a speed I couldn't believe..

I was even more saddened by this since it proved that even if we ran, we still wouldn't escape..

I was apologizing in my heart to the person who was about to get caught up in our mess, an innocent bystander was going to be hurt, or even worse, because I was overconfident that we could enter the inner part of the forest..

I couldn't take it, and looked away from the impending slaughter..

As I was ridiculing myself and my hubris while sprawled on the cold, white snow..

*Bang* *Bang* *Bang*

Suddenly, I heard a loud explosion from a distance..

When I turned towards the noise, I was shocked..

The towering beasts from before, had holes in their foreheads, bleeding out a thick amount of blood and brain matter, and were now being dragged around with rope on their necks with one hand by the mysterious stranger..

Before I knew it, the boy reached the place where we were, and noticed us..

He looked strange, a youth with purple hair, and white bangs, pale skin, covered in dark clothing, wearing an eye-patch with one of his eyes colored red, showing a bored look on his face..

But he didn't look strained even though he was dragging the three heavy bodies of those beasts, with one hand..

I thought he was a demon, but since there weren't any horns on his head, I let go of the scary thought..

When he came close to me, I came back to my senses and started to stand up..

It was a little hard, considering I just lost my strength, but I still stood upright in order to greet and thank the person..

So, when I did, I held out my right hand, offering a handshake greeting towards him..

But his next words were unexpectedly different..

With a slightly irritated tone, and eyes that stared right into mine, he said..

"Oi, were you the ones who sent these small-fry to attack me?"

11. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty good story I have to say. Concerns I have to say about the story is that the elf slaves have flat personalities and even if you expand on it later on it would be too late into the story to fix it. Another thing I want to say is that the intro is very vague and we have no clue to the personality of the MC even though it was explained later on. And then there's this split personality thing where he some how got it as soon as he gets transported. Did he not get it when he lost his memories? Or did he keep his original personality? How did he even create guns out of thin air? I like guns but isn't his ability is related to creating auras? Unless your just going to explain it away by just imagery used to focus the aura bullets more precisely. I am also going to assume you are going to put a point of view of Jun's friend in the past later on in the story when she gets introduced.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Zone Q11 likes this.
  12. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, glad you like it. For your questions, the answers can be found in the story if you read a bit more again but I'll answer them here for convenience. First off the prologue is a little vague. Thats why you can chek out the edited ones on the rebirth online world new site or my wordpress. Either way I have started to edit the earlier chapters and have made some progress. For the elf kids, yes I am planning to develop them a bit more by revealing their origins a bit later. About the guns, it was something the original personality made using aura weapon creation instead of a sword since on earth he preferred playing with airguns during his period of acquisition of various knowledge. For the personalities, the original has always been inside his subconscious waiting and watching the other ones way of life and it only got affected when the other orion got his emotions in discord. Finally for the childhood friend point of view, that is for the future. Well thats all I have to say. Thanks for reading the story.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  13. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 32: Glimmer Village

Part 1

"Uuuu.."

"Guuuu..."

Moans and groans sounded right into both my eardrums..

Swung on my shoulders, unconscious were two grown men..

On my right was a blonde-haired guy wearing light chain mail armor, with a sword dangling from his waist..

While my other shoulder was occupied by a lean man with a freckled face, wearing a cloak-like poncho..

Why am I carrying these unconscious men you might ask?

Yes, this might seem strange since I normally would not care for these types of people and leave them behind..

But since this was mostly my fault, I decided to take responsibility and carry them back to recover..

I was currently walking along the snowy path back to their village..

They meaning, the people I met when I accused them after dealing with the [Snow Wind Beasts]..

My head hurts just thinking about it..

The two women were leading the way..

One was walking in front, scouting the area around us from time to time. She looked to be a flaxen-haired woman with brown eyes and light-brown skin. Her personality, as I had observed, was the outgoing type. Always walking in a straight line, cheerful, bluntly honest, and straightforward..

She was wearing leather clothes and armor, with only a small dagger and traps dangling from her waist..

The other was looking at the map in her hands, navigating the route back. Probably finding one of the safer paths to take in order to avoid danger in moving towards the village. She was walking one pace behind the outgoing girl, and directing the way since the road was blanketed in snow..

She looked to be the frail type, glossy, long brown hair, flowing down her back, stopping at her waist, had brown eyes, and light skin. If this was Japan, she would have been called a celebrity just basing on her looks and demeanor..

This woman was wearing a garb that nuns from the church would usually wear during those western medieval-age movies I used to see. On the right side of her hip, she was equipped with a short wooden wand with a silver cross at its tip. This led me to believe that she might be related to the church in this world..

It was strange that a religion close to Christianity was present in the other world, but since I didn't have enough information, I decided to leave it at that for the present time..

Apparently they weren't the ones who sent the beasts towards me, but they did lead them out of the forest..

I got strangely riled up for some reason that I didn't calm down and look at the facts..

Since what happened a few hours ago was..

{"Oi, don't clam up, answer the question!"}

I said in an angry tone..

It felt like I was doing an inquisition..

{"Ah, n-no, I, I mean we-"}

The girl was sniveling, trying to explain herself whilst wiping the tears from her face, while I pondered upon the situation. But suddenly, I felt an attack coming my way from a certain distance..

I moved my head back slightly, letting an arrow coated in green light whiz through the air in front of me..

When I followed its trail, I found a lean man holding a bow that had just been released, openly showing his displeasure at the sight of me dodging, clicking his tongue while he was at it..

I was impressed at the silent killing intent, to which I noticed later than usual..

As I was thinking that, a sword swing was coming at me from the side..

It seemed to be a warrior who had gashes and wounds, while bleeding from his mouth, showing an enraged expression towards me. He was holding his iron sword with both hands firmly, but I could tell that his legs were shaking and they were about to give out..

This one had eyes that said he was going to sacrifice his own self just to fight..

A burning passion that believes that he was doing the right thing..

While the two combined their efforts in attacking me, I nimbly dodged every single one until they had exhausted their stamina and arrows, falling to the cold, soft, snowy ground..

The other girl that was crying on the ground was trying to chant a spell towards the collapsed two..

In total, four people..

Just as I was thinking of not getting involved..

{"U-um, I a-am Lena, a hunter, and these are my friends and party members, they did not know that you saved us, so please forgive us.."}

With those words that had stutters at the beginning, she proceeded to bow, dropping all of her body down, onto the cold ground, rubbing her forehead against the snow..

This was what you would call, a sincere apology..

Only most people would do this in Japan, and I was one who saw these gestures everyday. But this, this was genuine..

Her apology was different from those who were just trying to save face, but had hidden agendas after. She was abandoning her pride in order to save her impolite and misunderstood friends..

I was somehow moved by this, so I decided to calm down right then and there..

After I did, I made the girl named Lena stand up from the freezing ground, and after, I made her explain the situation..

It turns out that they were just a hunting party that got attacked by those small fry, which they called one of the strongest demonic beasts. I was just caught up in the crossfire just when the beast was about to eat them..

Well, I could blame it on the fact that I was walking, while simultaneously thinking of trying out new aura skills..

If I look back, that time, I had my new skill, [Taunt Aura] in effect..

So, it was not entirely their fault, since I brought it upon myself..

After that, they asked me if I had any potions, since they would use it to heal their two fallen comrades..

I told them no, which made them dejected, and depressed..

But instead, I walked up to the warrior first, and examined his pulse, body condition, and wounded organs..

The other one just had a severe loss of stamina, so I payed him no mind..

This was the perfect situation to try out one of my theories, which I thought of while I was travelling..

Specifically, if I could use aura magic to transfer to someone else..

I told the others to stand back, and let me use my magic..

They were reluctant to part, but Lena told them that I was a trustworthy person..

This girl was too trusting of someone she had just met, that if I was a strange person, I would have taken advantage of her. But since I don't have that type of hobby, I let it go as just naivety..

I invoked [Regenerative Aura] around my right hand, and proceeded to touch the warrior's forehead..

Then, I proceeded to manipulate the aura in order for it to move towards the target. This took a while, and sweat started gathering upon my forehead, but I successfully made a pathway from my fingers into his body, through the use of my knowledge of nerves and blood vessels being covered by the layers of muscle and skin in the past..

Next, I released the healing properties of the aura into his body from the inside..

Causing a burst of magic power that made him uncomfortable at first, but slowly died down and he was now breathing peacefully. This was because the regenerative properties infected the cells, and they in turn, spread it around his bloodstream, thereby affecting the various damaged cells through touch..

It is quite complicated, so I made the process simple to understand for my alter-ego..

Since I know that he might be conscious right about now..

I just hope he doesn't overreact to it as much..

After a few minutes of using magic, which barely put a dent in my overall magic power, which was instantly recovered a second later, the treatment was done. He was fully healthy, the wounds were closed, and no sign of scars were left on his skin, his ruptured internal organs were regenerated as if it was good as new, and his breathing stabilized..

Although he was unconscious, he was out of danger for now..

The scout-like man was just asleep from the lack of energy, so I didn't use it on him..

As I confirmed that the experiment was a success, the girls were surprised at seeing me use healing magic, even though I wasn't a healer class. That just goes to show you that not all things are what they seem..

After that, they profusely thanked me by bowing multiple times..

It was getting repetitive and annoying so I asked them to stop already since the intent was enough. I didn't dare point out that I was the one who was needlessly angry at them for something that they didn't even do..

Nope, my pride as a logical thinker would not allow that..

I will take this secret with me to my grave..

Since they seemed reluctant to part without showing their gratitude, they suggested that they treat me to the meal in their village since it seemed that the distance to the border was too far away from here, such that if I started moving now, factoring in the snowfall, and occasional blizzards, I would make it there in 2 weeks at least..

This made sense because of the weather conditions and the paths being covered up by snow. I could cope with it using my [Aura Trace] to lead me into their direction. But because it would be harder to detect magic traces in the present climate, I decided to abandon the idea..

So, I decided to receive their gratitude while finding shelter for the time being. Since no matter how strong and resilient my body was, I still felt cold and I would likely die from frostbite..

I was planning to develop these clothes I received from my teacher into a more durable cloth with even more effects..

It was to make travelling easier, and to avoid having to sew and stitch ripped parts in the future..

This was mostly because I was a perfectionist in my past life..

When I said that I would come with them, they showed a smile in return, and started leading the way..

They tried to carry their unconscious comrades but it seemed they were too heavy for the girls..

Naturally, since I caused their present state, I offered to carry them..

And so, I slung them on my shoulders, barely feeling the weight, tied the rope to my waist, which was dragging the [Snow Wind Beast] corpses through the snow, and started moving..

The snow beasts looked heavy but I felt as if they weighed as light as a feather, thanks to my enhanced muscles..

Carrying men near your face is slightly traumatic, but I decided to ignore it, saving my mental health..

Which leads us back to the present situation..

Oh, I slightly sense the presence of people, humans to be exact..

It was coming from the direction of north-east..

I couldn't clearly make it out even with my [Aura Eyes] both due to the distance, and the snowfall obstructing my sight...

"Were close, so let's just walk a little more, um.."

She seemed to have been talking to me, but suddenly stopped when she was about to confirm..

Oh, that's right, I haven't introduced myself..

"Orion, it's Orion Fullbringer.."

With my reply, her face showed a slight smile, but then it suddenly turned into a curious look..

"Fullbringer? You have a last name? Are you one of the nobles?"

Apparently, on the "Human Continent", only nobles have last names..

That explains Jim, and why the other people I've met never mentioned their last names..

But wait, does that mean that my foster-father, Derek, was a noble?

Strange, if that was the case, shouldn't my alter-ego found a clue to their whereabouts already?

This new information was registered in my mind, and simultaneously inputted into the [Aura Archive] passive skill so that I won't forget it, since this needs further investigation..

For now, I needed to reply..

"Ah, no, my father was a noble, but our house has been stripped of its nobility, but I still use it in introducing myself.."

Technically, this wasn't a lie. Since the one who was my biological father in this world, seemed to be a high noble by the name of Astrum. But since I didn't particularly have a reason to tell them the truth, I said this instead..

"I see, that must have been hard, I'm sorry.."

They suddenly had apologetic faces that seemed they regretted ever asking me about it..

Such troublesome culture this world has..

"No, no, it's fine. Everyone asks me that when I introduce myself, so it's alright.."

I try lying once more to appease the girls, but in fact this was the first time that they asked this..

Were the other people my alter-ego met not normal?

Or were they people with such consideration to not ask about the details?

Either way, this is mysterious..

After about half an hour, we made it to the entrance of the village..

There seemed to be town guards on standby near the gate..

When they saw me, with two grown men on my shoulders, dragging around demonic beast corpses, one would naturally think that I was a suspicious person with purple hair..

This is so annoying..

I would have liked to blow all my problems away with violence, but alas, I needed to control myself since I needed a place to stay. I should think about developing a skill that lets me build a home or something in the future..

14. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2

With renewed vigor, I reluctantly let them question me..

I told them about the incident, which made their faces pale, and when Lena vouched for me, one of the guards fainted..

Seeing this, I was holding back the urge to laugh at the spectacle that was likened to a slapstick comedy from Japan..

The man who fainted was being slapped and yelled at by the other pale-faced guard, while his eyes were rolled back, showing the whites of his eyes, drooling a bit. The slapping man was yelling things such as..

"Get it together man!" and "Look, it's dead you know? Don't be afraid!" and many other things I'm reluctant to mention..

After about a few minutes, the town guard captain came to check on them, only to find them doing that..

Naturally, they got reprimanded and got sent back to the guard house..

I felt no sympathy since I didn't care about it anyway, albeit an amusing show..

When the captain heard the whole story, he also went pale but immediately returned to a serious expression..

What a professional..

Were the thoughts I had while being permitted to enter the village..

The village was apparently called "Glimmer Village". When I asked why it was named like that, they told me that a passing fairy goddess saved this village once before, shielding it from harm in the "Heavenly War" and provided food, warmth, and water for the villagers, thus naming the village after her in gratitude..

It got me slightly curious when the word "fairy" was mentioned, but I considered that this wasn't important right now..

We walked through a number of houses that seemed to look the same..

Probably because there was no major development inside a village..

Although it was understandable that people would not come out during this weather, but I was sure some would likely walk around, making sure their homes were safe and ready for the storm..

Much to my dismay, there was no one except the guards and our group walking outside..

I thought it was because of the weather but it was slightly unnatural, due to this, I asked Lena again..

It never hurts to have too much information..

Apparently, most of the children have gotten sick with a strange disease where their body parts turn blue and they had lost all feeling when it comes to the infected area, causing them to either cut them off for good, to avoid the spread towards the body, but some have a high chance of dying..

This disease was rampant every winter for some reason, said Lena. But this year, the children were infected, which was a first. And since they couldn't find it in their conscience to amputate little kids, they decided to make time to take care of them in their respective homes instead..

Judging on the symptoms, and the way they dealt with it, and factoring in the season, I drew an easy conclusion on what the sickness was, what caused it, and could probably find a method to deal with it, given the chance..

But for now, I had to drop off the group at the village chief's house located at the center of the village..

We reached a house that looked bigger than the others, and was greeted by the village chief..

He was collecting firewood for his heat source inside, so we helped him out, and he led us in..

We entered a simple living room, with the minimum furniture needed..

Long, wooden couches, covered with soft cloth, and a wooden table in between..

I guess people in the village do have a rough time, considering the chief's house was like this..

Were the rude judgmental thoughts that swam in my head at the time..

When we made it to the center of the room, we were asked to sit and make ourselves comfortable..

So, I placed the two on the couch while we sat on the opposite side..

I left the corpses outside because they were too big to fit through the doorway. Plus, they were starting to smell..

I reassured the chief that it would be safe, and there was nothing to worry about..

There was also no danger of it being stolen, since there were no other people loitering outside of their homes..

Even if someone did try to steal it, my senses would pick up their movement before they could even come close..

When we were all seated, surrounding the small table, the chief sat down on a big chair at our side, and started to talk..

His name was Germundo, a pretty overbearing name if you asked me..

Germundo looked to be an able-bodied old man with intelligence in his eyes, his muscles looked like he was a combatant in the past, although I wasn't interested in the least..

After introducing ourselves, well, mostly me, we talked about the incident..

Naturally, this got the chief interested and at the same time, excited, very much so that he started telling stories and legends about the past, being passed from generation to generation..

The chief blabbed on and on about this and that, so let's omit it..

We got to the main point of the discussion after a while, to the fault of the oblivious village chief, Germundo, which derailed the entire topic from progressing with his tales of whimsy..

I asked if there was a vacant inn or somewhere I could stay for the time being..

But the chief said there wasn't anything like an inn inside a village..

This was understandable, but yet I was slightly disappointed..

Even so, the chief said that as thanks for rescuing the hunters, I could stay inside his home for as long as I liked..

I automatically said yes, since there wasn't any other choice, and it would be the most logical thing to do considering the pros, cons, and the present situation considering the weather..

I told him that I would pay for my share of the food, and the days I spent here, but he would have none of it..

He didn't care about money, which slightly raised my impression of him. Only slightly though..

Only thing is, I would have to not mind the sick child inside one of the rooms..

When I further inquired about this, he talked about it with us with a gloomy face..

Turns out, his only daughter was sick with the same disease that was afflicting the children..

He couldn't bear to cut his own daughter's legs off, so he decided to care for her, and pray to his god, Solaris..

But waiting for the inevitable isn't going to do anything..

He also said that recently, he couldn't stand the look and cries of pain coming from her room, and started to look away from her most of the time. It might sound cruel, but it was one of the better choices in order to keep his peace of mind..

While he was now depressed, and talking lethargically, his face seemed at a loss and absentminded..

This was getting irritating for some reason, so I decided to do something to rectify the problem..

"I can heal her.."

I nonchalantly said towards the despairing old man..

He was shocked by my statement, but then went back to his self-depreciating expression, saying things like..

"It's fine, it is an incurable disease anyway, many priests have researched healing this, but their findings only led them to the theory that the cure is somewhere on the Elven Continent. But I appreciate the thought.."

With a bitter smile, he said these things, trying to cheer me up, but at the same time, irritating me more..

I don't know why, but when I see someone who has given up on trying in front of me, it reminded me of my past self, the me who had given up on humans, and did not care about anything anymore..

If I hadn't met Mizuki, I would leave this problem at this, and move on with my life..

But since I did, the teachings she gave me shone more brightly even more now..

"You don't believe me? That's fine, but I still want to earn my keep here, even if you want me to or not.."

With those words, I turned around and moved towards the weak presence I felt when I searched the vicinity..

A surprised face were evident on the faces of the trio, as I walked away making excuses to myself..

After a while, they started to follow my back, and I opened the door to the room..

The room was dark..

The atmosphere had a dreary feeling, a feeling I knew all too well, the presence of death..

I had no time to lose..

I moved slightly faster towards the child laying on the bed..

What lay there was a petite girl with dark-brown hair, and light bangs, sickly pale skin, and weak, scrawny limbs..

She was unconscious at the moment, and was breathing roughly..

Her legs were almost swallowed up by the black and blue hue of the disease..

"I was right.."

In conclusion, this was, in fact, a sickness from my world, "Frostbite"

The main cause of this, was the cold weather, adding to the fact that the people in this world have not learned how to make cold-resistant clothes. And even if they did, a village in the middle of nowhere like this, would not have any access to it anyway. Another factor was the houses..

The houses here were built like huts, sure there was firewood to keep warm, but not insulating the house from the cold by building stone walls, and glass windows was a mistake in and of itself..

Without proper protection against the cold, you are susceptible to various diseases that the immune system by itself could not fix. Frostbite caused the blood vessels to cramp up and stop the blood flow towards the affected area, thereby making the part feel numb due to the coldness of the missing blood..

This gets worse over time, so the more it is left alone untreated, the higher chance there is for a need to amputate the affected body part..

So, the first thing I had to do was to warm up her body temperature..

After I explained all this to them, they were surprised..

They were about to get some heating apparatus but I told them there was no need since I was going to use a different method to bring warmth..

I invoked [Dragon King's Aura] on my fingertips which made the others draw back slightly because of the sheer pressure it exuded, but it was only a fragment of its true power..

Since my teacher's sin was related to flame, this got me the idea to use it for warmth..

I applied my massage on both feet while transferring the heat into them..

After what seemed to be minutes, I finished, and I sensed that the inside was thawed out, but the blood vessels were still broken, so I had to regenerate them by force to completely heal her..

About some time, I had finally finished treating her, and did some final checkups..

After that, I told the chief that she would be better in the morning, and he suddenly teared up and dropped to my feet..

Seeing his daughter's pleasant sleep, and calm breathing filled him with emotions he thought he never had, and everlasting gratitude, towards yours truly..

I didn't like people groveling to me, I never did..

So I commanded him in a slightly irritated tone to stop and that his thanks was enough..

He didn't believe me and told me that he would do anything to repay this kindness while still groveling..

I hated this part, since it made me feel awkward..

So, I told him that he would start to be my informant on whenever something strange happens in the village..

In exchange, I would heal everyone in the village..

He was overjoyed when he heard this, so to stop him from showing his gratitude again, I gave him a crystal..

The small purple crystal with black edges displayed a twinkling shine, when put up towards a light source..

But this wasn't an ordinary crystal, it was the one that I made out of [Oricalchum Ore] copying the properties of the [Voice Crystal] Rose gave me..

On my travels, I did more research than you might think, including studying the items in my possession..

I analyzed the crystal and turned it into a base for transferring my aura between another crystal..

After hours of experiments, I developed a new way of communicating..

Using my [Aura Gift] skill, that allowed me to make many different skills related to aura, I named this item..

[Aura Telepathy Crystal] or an [ATC] for short..

This allowed me to talk to people's minds no matter where I was in the world..

The only drawback was the requirement that the crystal had to be connected to the main crystal in advance, and I was the only one who could use it instead of the other party..

In other words, I could call him, but he couldn't call me..

I explained how the crystal works in slightly changed terms to Germundo, but I guess he wasn't listening that intently since he was looking at the crystal with shining eyes, saying stupid things like.."Glimmer-sama.."

I naturally got irritated at being treated as another person, so just as I was about to explain it one more time, I sensed a presence at the door in front of the house..

Which wouldn't be strange, since this was the chief's house, except for the fact that this presence wasn't human..

I prepared myself for battle, while warning the others to back away, and to leave this to me..

As I opened the door, I was greeted with a surprising sight..

Instead of a gigantic demon beast, it was a little boy with sad, rounded, blue eyes, that looked like he had wolf ears on his head, and a drooping tail..

I was going to ask who he was, but the boy suddenly opened his mouth when he spotted the chief behind me..

"He-help..chief, mom is in danger...*Thud*"

After those words, the boy collapsed on the cold ground while tears were flowing from his eyes..

Zone Q11 likes this.
  15. Durrendal

Durrendal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool story!

16. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the support Durrendal, your story is awesome too

17. Durrendal

Durrendal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah? you read mine?

I am honoured!

Zone Q11 and SlashCrit like this.
  18. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 33: Jin

Part 1

"[Dragon King's Aura]"

"Guu..."

"[Regenerative Aura]"

"Gu-suuuuu......"

"*Sigh* He's all better now, Germundo.."

"No matter how I see it, what you're doing is extraordinary, Orion-dono.."

"Just don't mention it to others outside the village, alright?"

I don't want troublesome things like nobles coming after me because of my healing powers after all..

Germundo told me that healers were scarce in this continent, even though various diseases run rampant..

Apparently, it was due to the fact that long ago, we didn't need healers considering the medicine from the "Elves Continent" were just that effective against any kind of disease that showed up..

They grew carefree and conceited, that only the "Holy Church" of this continent, based in the city of "Virgo" were healers..

But when the war started, they cut off all trade routes and all kinds of business that had to do with the humans..

It was also rumored that the one who started the war were the human nobles, getting arrogant, and forcibly kidnapping elves to make medicine exclusively for them, totally opposite to the public information that the elves just started attacking to take over our land..

I cannot say for sure, but I for one, am leaning towards the former, since I knew for a fact that it was human nature, and some, mostly give in to their greed, basing on my experiences in the past..

But, this was all speculation until I find out the truth..

For now, I had to wait for this child to wake up..

I look away from Germundo, the village chief, thus ending the conversation, and moved towards the sleeping kid..

Well, if you could call him, a kid..

The reason why I'm saying that is because unlike the humans I've met, this one had two ears that sprouted from his long, brownish-black hair. They seemed to look like it was either wolf or cat ears..

They would twitch from time to time, which was peculiar, leading me to believe they weren't fake..

I couldn't even tell his gender, whether he was a boy or a girl, since it looked like it could be both..

The child also had a tail, again I could not tell the difference between animals, since it looked so unnatural..

So, I tried to access the recesses of my memory, in case my alter-ego had any information about this, but to my surprise, I was suddenly blocked from accessing my memories..

Notification
    [Aura Persona] has detected [Orion]
    Program is now booting up..
    Please wait...
    Ah, it seems he woke up..

It will be some time before he gets his bearings in order, I suppose..

I guess the [Aura Persona] skill activates by itself, when a new personality is detected..

I have to study more about this in the future, but for now, let's abandon finding out what this child is by myself..

If I cannot do one thing alone, ask for help..

This was one of Mizuki's teachings to the precocious and arrogant me from childhood..

So, I tried to ask the village chief as to what this child's identity was..

After hearing my troubles, he sat down, and told me his story..

According to him, the child was a boy named Jin..

He said that Jin came here with his mother..

Apparently, their race was called [Beastman], and they were part of the [Wolf Tribe], a prestigious clan inside the capital city of "Elshion" located east, towards the "Beast Continent, Feriad"..

But, when their family was visiting the "Human Continent" because his father was a merchant, and wanted to try his hand at trading with the humans, which was a big mistake..

After settling down for a while inside "Libra City", a certain noble saw them, and the mother caught his fancy..

The next day, their house was raided, and the father killed in front of the child's mother..

Fortunately, the child was asleep and couldn't see the tragic sight of his father being murdered when he was just at the age where he learned how to toddle by himself..

After that, they were captured, and taken as slaves for the noble's sick deeds. He included the child, Jin, because he knew that he could find a buyer among his other like-minded noble acquaintances..

But by some twist of fate, when they were travelling to the royal capital, a strange old man passed them by..

From their story, the old man looked to have long hair, and a grey beard, but had eyes filled with intelligence..

He displayed overwhelming strength when faced with the noble's 30 guards using just a swing of his hand, to blow them all away. Because of this, the mother and child were saved, and they were given food, clothing, and a little money from the mysterious old man..

When they turned around to thank him, he suddenly vanished..

I was slightly intrigued by this part, since the mysterious entity may be someone I had to fight in the near future..

I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to beating down old men, but if it was necessary, I would not hesitate..

I am merciless towards those who go against me, no matter who they are..

A silent rage was burning in my chest, further resolving my own self while I listened to the continuation of the story..

Apparently, after a few weeks of travel, they made it to this secluded village, far away from the cities, and met with Germundo by chance, begging him to let them stay here, but in confidence..

The reason why they couldn't cross the border to the east, was because they didn't have any identification, since only Jin's father was a member of the "Merchant Guild" and they would be treated as criminals without it..

Germundo was surprised at two beastmen showing up on his doorstep, but since they looked to be in need of help, he naturally accepted. Since he was taught by the previous chief, his father, to not judge others based on appearance, was the reason he gave me, when I asked why he did what he did..

This guy, is really big-hearted..

I thought to myself, changing my impression of the gruff village chief..

They were avoided at first, but with the chief's help, and active cooperation, the villagers naturally got used to seeing the two, mother and child, and started treating them as if they were villagers themselves..

I guess this village had little prejudice, considering the fact that it was saved by a member of the fairy race..

A few years had passed, and Jin started to play with Sharon, the chief's daughter, thus they became childhood friends that did almost everything together. They were enjoying their peaceful life here in the village..

Well, until now, that is..

That was the end of what Germundo knew, right up to the present..

Right as we were done talking, I heard a groan..

"Guu..huh? Where am I?"

Okay, now that he's awake, I can finally ask what he said that time, when he collapsed at the door..

It was something about his mom being in danger, but I didn't dare to jump into conclusions and rush in there like a reckless idiot, basing my assumptions on a vague cry for help..

It just wouldn't be wise, considering the climate outside..

So, I walked up to where he was sleeping a while ago, and sat down in front of the small boy..

"Hello there, my name is Orion, what's yours?"

Of course, I already knew, but I had to ask him out loud, otherwise it would look suspicious..

So I put on the best gentle smile I could while talking to him, to make him feel at ease..

When he saw my face, I don't think he noticed it, but his tail unconsciously swayed from left to right..

I guess I have that effect when I grin, huh..

Well, I was of course, an expert at faking my emotions to please other people..

Emotions are just a tool to get what you want, was what I thought before I met Mizuki, and the elf children..

I gradually got to know that emotions had a use other than that, but my old habit still dwells withing me..

It's hard to break something you're already used to doing..

Well, no matter. Let's hear his reply..

"U-um, I'm Jin. I am a wolf type beast man.."

His sleepy blue eyes, as blue as the ocean, were darting around the room, seemingly trying to remember something..

It was evident in his anxious expression, but I guess this happens when you're normally in a strange place..

"Okay, Jin, do you know where you are right now?"

I ask, trying to probe his memory to resurface..

"Ah, this is the village chief's house. I used to play here a lot with Sharon, well before we both got sick.. Huh?"

This kid already had the intelligence to observe the situation and surroundings calmly, and analyze it in a short amount of time. How impressive..

He started to touch his body in all different kinds of places, and then stopped at his feet, feeling the warmth..

"Strange, it's gone. I don't feel weak anymore? I can walk, and move fast no-Uwaaaa!"

*Crash*

After abruptly standing up, he was trying out his legs, by slowly wobbling in place, walking, and then sprinting..

Which eventually made his legs give out from the sudden movement, and made him crash into a flower vase placed at a small table in the corner of the room..

"*Chuckle* Now, now.."

I found myself chuckling at the antics of the small wolf-child..

So, I stood up and helped him back to his feet..

"Ah, thanks onii-san.."

"........................................................"

That got me..

When Jin looked up at me with upturned eyes, my facade mask was broken in an instant, and I suddenly found my cheeks loosening when I stared back into those deep, big blue eyes..

Coupled with the words, "onii-san" which no one has ever called me that before..

I couldn't speak for my alter-ego though..

Just like Mizuki said, I was weak to kindness being shown straightforwardly...

Or was it kids younger than me..

I can't remember, anyway..

This is bad..

Why is my heart beating this fast..

"Hmm? *Sniff*"

Am I weak to this kind of thing? No, I must not let myself get swayed, I am a calm, collected, and most of all, intelligent, wise being atop all others, meant to rule over-guh....

"*Glomp*"

Ah, it's over...

I was currently being hugged at the waist by Jin, the small wolf child..

"You smell nice, onii-san. Why is that?"

No, no, no..

Why would you suddenly hug someone because of their smell? Isn't that weird?

Not good..

I found both of my arms shaking, and were trying to attempt hugging Jin back..

"*Dry laughter*, wha-what do you mean Jin? What about my smell?"

I ask in desperation before my instincts took over..

My arms were currently in midair, with my fingers moving at strange directions, only being held back by my sheer willpower which might not last long in this case..

But just when all hope was lost, a miracle happened..

"Yes, you smell just like, mom.... Eh? Mom...."

Well, it wasn't a good miracle for Jin, but for me, it was slightly better than giving up my dignity..

Which I place in high regard to be concise..

"Where's mom? Oji-san, where's mom?!?"

I got suddenly shocked at being called "Oji-san" but I was relieved that he was looking towards Germundo instead..

Eh, why was I relieved just now?

Anyway, to that question, Germundo suddenly started sweating and began acting like a scared old man..

Was Jin stronger than him, were the idle thoughts I had, observing the situation..

"Ah, that's what were about to ask you. What happened exactly?"

I said to Jin, attempting to calm down both myself, and the situation..

And maybe save the chief from a dark fate, which he was now, exhaling in relief..

You owe me for this, I signaled towards him with my eyes, and turned back to Jin..

After I looked at him, coercing him to speak, he told me his story..

"Uh, yes, mother was sick, so I went to the forest to gather some herbs to heal her. There was no problem there, since I brought my dad's sword with me. But when I got home. some men were destroying the house, and putting mom in a cage, soon after burning our house.."

It was a sad tale, but I still had to continue listening..

"I was very, very angry at the large men who took mom and destroyed the house, but I thought that it was not possible to save mom by myself because there were lots of them, and only one of me. So I opted to ask for help from the village chief, but since I was noisy, I was found by them. I quickly ran, but they shot an arrow at me, making me sleepy.."

Yes, that arrow could have been a tranquilizer, to put him to sleep. Combined with the fact that he was sick with 'frostbite", I'm surprised he even made it this far. Since according to him, his house was at the far end of the village..

Also, I never noticed it before, but was this kid speaking human language or beast man language?

Either was fine for me, since I had the [Continental Language Comprehension] skill..

But if it was the latter, it leads me to question how the humans in this village understood him..

This may need further investigation later, but for now, let's keep quiet..

19. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2

"And that's when I made it here. Do you know where mom is onii-san?"

Ack, I can't resist those teary, pleading eyes staring at me..

Why is this, of all people, happening to me?

"Yeah, I'll do what I can, Jin.."

I have grown weak..

Not in a physical sense, but you know what I mean..

While wallowing in regret acted towards myself, I searched the area with my new skill, [Aura Map]..

The map size was currently at a 5 kilometer radius around my position, showing all kinds of different colored dots..

These dots represented if someone or something was friendly, neutral, or hostile..

It showed a blue dot if they were friendly, green if neutral, and red if hostile..

If they were dead, or an item, it would appear grey for some time, then disappear, since it only detects magic..

Exactly like a game that my alter-ego used to play before..

The trick was, to use [Aura Perception] and convert it into a 3-dimensional map inside my head..

Spreading my aura into the atmosphere whilst using [Aura Trace] since I have concluded that every living being in the other world, had magic. This was yet to be disproved, since everything sentient that I have encountered so far, had something like a [Mana Core] in their bodies, located at the center..

Humans differed from other races though, as do demonic beasts, so I can easily differentiate between them..

I would explain more about those cores, but since we don't have time. I can only say this..

I was an exception to this rule. Apparently I had something like an [Aura Core] instead..

This led me to believe that it could somehow be used when detecting the other heroes, but that was all a theory for now.

Added with the [Aura Archive] which can hold almost infinite information and processing, it was made easier..

Because of that, the skill was made, but it was not yet in a complete state. But for now, I had to make use of it..

I scanned the map one area after another, until I found a large amount of red dots currently moving in the center of the village, whilst green dots were running away from them..

While 5 green dots were at the center of the enclosure..

I guessed one of them was Jin's mom..

It was a high chance, that they were those people Jin was looking for, wreaking havoc in the village to smoke Jin out, or convincing the village chief to willingly hand him over..

That was one of my speculations observing the situation..

After I confirmed the direction, I cancelled the skill since it takes a large amount of mana whilst activated..

"Your mom is safe, for now. I know where they are. I'll be back soon, wait here.."

I said to Jin while moving to the direction of the door..

*Tug*

But I was suddenly stopped from a pull on my sleeve..

When I turned around, I found Jin looking up at me, with resolute eyes..

Naturally, I predicted what those eyes implied..

As I was about to open my mouth, he stopped me with his words..

"I know that I might be a nuisance to you, onii-san. But that is my mother, and I want to help save her.."

Such determination inside a little body..

"Why, you could stay here and I will bring her back, all the same.."

I ask, slightly curious..

But then he suddenly made a face that didn't understand what I was saying..

"Isn't that natural? She's my family."

Those words struck a chord within me..

I could say nothing back..

I wonder why I never felt like this towards my real parents..

I slightly regretted the fact that I took them for granted, and just made the excuse that they were busy..

But this kid, Jin, made me realize something..

That sometimes, you had to do something stupid, if it's for a loved one..

This went against all my policies in logical thinking, since a little kid was going into the fray of battle with rough adults..

But somehow, his words swayed me, and I found myself ruffling his scruffy black hair before I noticed it..

"Such a stubborn kid, alright, but stay behind me and don't rush in okay?"

With my words as the trigger, Jin suddenly beamed into a smile..

"Un, I will. But don't underestimate me onii-san, I know how to use the sword you know?"

He said that with a slightly arrogant tone, and puffed out his chest in false pride..

I wanted to comment on it, but I just blew air out of my nostrils in reply..

When he saw this, he pouted with his cheeks puffed up. Hard to believe this was a kid at death's door a few hours ago..

"Alright, alright, now, let's move, we don't have any time to lose.."

"Un!"

I said as we went out the front door, into the cold, winter night..

"We'll be going now, Germundo! Evacuate the villagers into a safe place, because this might get rough.."

"Ah, *Dry laughter* Sure, just please don't destroy the village in the process. I beg of you.."

"Well, I'll do my best.."

"See you later, oji-san!"

With our goodbyes, and the chief's pale face as he waved to us, wishing us luck, we started running..

The scenery around me changed more and more as I started moving..

Then, I noticed it..

I was so used to moving fast that I forgot that Jin was coming with me..

I got mad at myself for forgetting that simple fact, and stopped for a second because I thought I had to come get him again and slow down my speed in the process..

But suddenly, a few moments after I stopped, a gust of wind flew past me, making my hair flow in the breeze for a few seconds. Then, the moving object suddenly stopped too, and went back to me..

To my surprise, it was Jin..

"What's wrong, onii-san? Tired already?"

This kid..

Even though I was only using 10% of my maximum speed, he still managed to keep up with me..

"Amazing.."

"Right? Right? I'm confident in my legs too, but I never knew you were fast too onii-san. It really surprised me.."

I suddenly went back to reality from my inner thoughts..

It seems I was dazed, being impressed by this mysterious wolf child..

"Ah, what are you talking about? Let's get a move on!"

I said, while flustered, trying to take back what I said out loud..

"Alright, let's go!"

But Jin seemed to not notice my inner turmoil..

I was relieved at that but at the same time, mortified..

I could never predict what this kid would do next, and that was saying something..

It's like he reminded me of someone..

Still, I had no time for these reminisces, and started moving faster, at the same time, testing Jin's speed..

After a few minutes, we made it to the center of the village..

Apparently Jin at his best, could keep up with 14% of my maximum speed, it was an impressive feat that shows how much work he puts in, training by himself..

It could be further improved with someone teaching him though..

I want to teach him the martial arts from my world, but I wasn't someone who could teach others despite being smarter than most people. I didn't want to think about it, but I might have to concede to my alternate personality, just this once..

But this was not the time to think about the future..

It was eerie inside the village square..

There were the men who were breaking into houses, and taking valuables, but that was it..

At the center of this was a carriage..

A luxury carriage with four horses pulling it..

It seemed to have belonged to a noble. Behind the carriage were armed men, stationed to guard a cage filled with women. Some were unconscious, but one was obviously different than the rest..

For this one woman had long wolf ears that were twitching from time to time..

"Is that your mother?"

I pointed towards the cage, and it took a while for Jin to see her since we were far away, and he didn't have enhanced eyesight like me. But then he said..

"Ah, yes, that's her. I hope she's okay.."

It looked to me like she was beaten up quite a bit, and was coughing erratically..

But I couldn't tell the truth to the innocent Jin..

"I'm sure she's alright.."

I said, to make him feel better...

Now, let's do this quick, and finish this fast...

I walk up to the cage nonchalantly, when I heard the carriage door creak open..

What came out was a person dressed gaudily, with puffy sleeves, various jewelry, and an arrogant air around him..

He was also followed by a blonde-haired swordsman?

It was strange, since I couldn't read the swordsman's expression, much less his strength..

I took slight caution at this..

"Finally, the brat came out of hiding. Come to rescue your mother, child? *Snicker*"

I felt like he was mocking Jin, so I released some blood lust unconsciously and withdrew it the next instant..

After that, I saw him and the knight? had beads of sweat on their foreheads..

"Sir, this man is dangerous.."

The knight whispered to the gaudy man..

"Fumu, well then, where are my manners. I am the one known as Tyler Nova, of the proud Nova family, retainers of the king himself! Speak commoner, I allow you to address the one known as I!"

Ah, this is going to be troublesome..

"My name is not cheap enough to be known by the likes of you.."

I said in a calm manner..

But to this, his face boiled up beet red, like an octopus..

"Su-such insolence! Well, I shall let that comment go if you hand over the wolf-kin brat to me. Do it.."

He blathers incessant words towards me, and demanded that I give him Jin right off the bat..

Honestly, were most nobles like this guy, and my foster parents from when I was reincarnated in this world?

Judging a person by their status, their wealth, and appearance..

It makes me sick..

He signaled to the knight to take Jin, but right as he was about to touch his shoulder..

*Grip*

I grabbed his outstretched wrist, and held it in place..

"Take your hand off, or I will rip it right out of your arm.."

I activated a little bit of [Fear Aura] into my voice using my new skill, [Aura Voice]..

It allowed me to mix any aura that's applicable into my own manner of speaking, given the situation..

I thought that the knight would faint after hearing my blatant threat, but it seemed he was stronger than I first thought..

Not because he was only shaking a little bit after he heard me, but..

It was because a gleaming silver long sword was suddenly swung at my hand, after I grabbed his..

Such fine-tuned reflexes, that could only be gained by intense training, and multiple experiences in battle..

I thought, as I dodged the sword swing, along with Jin, taking distance from the unperturbed warrior..

When I looked towards the gaudy man who called himself Tyler, he was quaking in his boots..

Eventually, his legs gave out, and sweat was evident on his face, flowing like a river..

When he finally opened his mouth..

"W-what a-ar-are you-u doing sta-standing around? Kill that man!"

He was having trouble forming words due to his chattering teeth, but he made sure to scream the order to kill loud and clear towards the knight who had good reflexes..

With those words as the trigger, the fight started..

The knight moved faster than before, striking me with the sword, which I had to evade since I wasn't well-versed in swordplay. I tried creating two pistols with [Aura Weapon Creation] which made the knight surprised..

When I looked towards Jin, he was fighting off the guards by himself, which was impressive for a kid..

I knew, judging from his movements, compared to his opponents, that he would handle it by himself easily..

I was too naive..

The fight lasted a few minutes, with the knight dodging my bullets which he adapted to after some time, and Jin supposedly defeated all the guards..

He was currently breaking the lock to the cage while talking with his mother in between..

Just when I was thinking about a strategy to finish this fight quick, a voice resounded..

"I-I have no other choice, but to flee. Do it! Shoot the kid instead!"

At that moment, time slowed down..

While I was preoccupied with the knight, an arrow suddenly shot out towards Jin's direction..

I tried to move, but the knight wouldn't let me..

I was angry at how this knight could even begin to hold me back..

But suddenly, the cage broke open, revealing a giant beast with large fangs and golden eyes..

It looked like one of those fictitious creatures from those stories I used to read..

Werewolves..

The beast suddenly leaped in front of Jin, and..

"MOM!!!"

It filled me with rage..

Seeing the spectacle..

"[Aura of Wrath]"

The next moment, a body hit the floor..

Time started moving again..

20. SlashCrit

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 34: Goodbyes

-???'s POV-

Somewhere on the snow-covered lands inside the Human Continent, Myriad, a certain landscape was changed..

Some distance away from the village known as "Glimmer Village", a deep, round, scorched crater was evident..

It contrasted the sight of the never-ending fall of snowflakes touching the ground, creating pure white fluff..

The dark, barren wasteland stretched until about 500 meters outward in the shape of a circular hole..

Some might think that a meteor must have collided with the ground, as it was the only plausible and logical reason given the monstrous destruction at the center of the calm snowfields..

Of course, the people of this world had no knowledge of meteors, but still, it looked as if it was an aftermath of a horrible disaster. One would wonder how the crater came to be, and how to prevent this from happening to them in the future if they saw the spectacle..

The once moist, soft, and pure white snow was no more. In it's place was black, dry earth, akin to desert sand dunes and its ground scorched with the highest temperature..

There was no trace of anything living within the wide area..

Well, of course, not considering the one who caused it..

In the very center of the circle was an entity covered in a black veil of magic with purple flames being released from time to time. This entity was an embodiment of rage, deeply breathing in and out the cold air of the atmosphere..

With two different colored eyes, blazing two clashing flames, the purple-haired youth wearing clothes that were as black as the night itself. Standing alone with an angry look on his face..

His very visage was likened to a demon, no, a horrifying disaster that destroys with reckless abandon..

There was no other word to describe him except, monster..

After a few minutes, the youth realized that the deed was done, and there was no danger around him. So, he calmed down soon after, retracting the veil of darkness and reverting to his normal, strange appearance..

"Tch.."

He clicked his tongue and looked around once more before departing..

With his hands balled up into fists, and his eyebrows scrunched up in irritation, he turned around and flickered away..

Like he was an ethereal existence, he disappeared from the place as fast as when he arrived..

When the silence of night covered the disaster zone, and no presences could be felt, a voice resounded..

"How long are you going to play dead, Xander?" - ???

As clear as crystal, the voice of a woman was heard, and a young woman with voluptuous features covered with a revealing toga, flesh-colored hair, and bright golden eyes appeared from the darkness..

"Honestly, I was disappointed in that fight, I should have fought that kid, Alex, grrr.." - ???

While spitting out condescending words in a spiteful manner, a man with bulging muscles, all covered with dark-grey fur, had long wolf ears on the top his head, golden eyes, and a long swaying tail..

A short silence was heard for a few seconds..

But then..

"Shut up, he was surprisingly too strong, is all." - ???

A gathering of light particles formed the shape of a man, and a magic circle appeared out of thin air on the ground where the light particles were converging. There stood a tall man with blonde hair and golden eyes, who wore a confident smile on his face, showing a dignified appearance filled with pride..

"Honestly, you always show that irritating expression even when you had your most humiliating loss yet. Well, I guess it's to be expected from the one known as "Alexander the Great"and the "Conqueror", still how could you lose even with my help?" - ???

"Easy for you to say, Cassandra, you haven't been fighting him face to face. Even with your future sight, I could barely keep up with that monster. Heck, I had to go a little serious. But that backfired, since the sword broke.." - Alexander

"So that's why you lost. I guess [Hephaestus' Clear Sword] wasn't enough to hold your immense strength.." - Cassandra

"That's why I said to not rely on petty tricks, just show your raw strength and it will be fine. But you can't even do that, can you? grrr..." - ???

"Yeah yeah, I don't want to hear your yammering, you muscle-brained mutt.." - Alexander

"What. did. you. just. call. me? grrr.." - ???

A large power suddenly erupted from the growling man..

"Hou, you want to go at it right now? I'm fine with it.." - Alexander

I release my innate energy, and it was just as big as his, if not bigger..

But suddenly, our powers retracted into our bodies in an instant..

With a hand in both of our faces, Cassandra boldly stated..

"Now, now, don't be stupid, Xander, Fenrir, what if "he" senses your presence and comes back?" - Cassandra

Ah, that's right, I had no intention to fight that kid again, at least, not yet..

But it seemed the mutt had a different idea in mind..

"Hmph, so what if he comes, I'll make sure to drive it into him my overwhelming strength! grrr..." - Fenrir

Ah, he's done it now..

"Hmm? Did I hear right? Do you want to anger Master? Do you have a death wish? Tell me, Fenrir..." - Cassandra

With an upturned smile, but a dark demeanor to go with it, she threatens*cough* I mean, asks Fenrir..

The mutt was sweating now, when being glared at by the frightening woman, serves you right..

"Ah, you know, I mean, if you say it like that, I don't want to trouble master after all, yes, I'm sorry, I was wrong, I will not be stupid anymore, Cassandra. Please let me go...guu" - Fenrir

The mutt was instantly turned into a meek puppy in front of Cassandra gripping his shoulder, almost breaking it..

His shoulder was then released from her iron grip, tch..

"Oh, that's great then. Now, let's talk about why the sword didn't work on the boy, shall we?"

She instantly changed into her bright, inquisitive attitude in a heartbeat. What a frightening woman..

This woman had the power to see the future, and change most of it. A very useful ability when she was supporting you. On the other hand, it makes her unbeatable as an enemy when she has allies..

Ah, yes, I have to answer. I forgot myself due to being disgusted and frightened at the same time..

"No, the sword Hephaestus gave me was fine. I could tell that it worked, judging from the time I attacked the youth. But who would have thought that that wasn't his real strength.." - Alexander

I was sure I felt my strength rising from the sword's power when I first tried to strike at that monster..

[Hephaestus' Clear Sword] was a weapon forged by our blacksmith, who made various divine weapons since he was, of course, considered a god of the forge...

It had the ability to adapt to the opponent's strength and strengthen the user to match it. Sometimes even surpass it..

A frightful ability that copies the enemy's strength and transfers it into mine..

I was surprised at how much power was added at first, but I felt like it didn't matter at the time..

Also, he brought out strange weapons that shot endless volleys of condensed magic power that I was barely able to dodge in point blank range, this was true even if I was slightly further away..

All I knew is, that when that human noble ordered the archer to shoot the kid, the youth suddenly gotten stronger..

At an immeasurable level at that. I couldn't help shivering in the face of overwhelming power..

But, I was no coward. I was shivering in delight, to the fact that I was facing an opponent who might be stronger than master or myself. I was trembling in excitement..

It was a fierce battle, mostly him overpowering me, every step of the way. I could slightly predict his movements due to Cassandra's help, but alas, that was almost nothing in the face of that pure, indomitable strength of his..

When seen from another perspective, it looked like a one-sided massacre..

He brought out strange weapons one after another relentlessly, shooting projectile bombs time after time..

Some were large, some were small, other times they would be as fast as the wind, sometimes even faster..

Sadly, when I was back into a corner, I tried to bring out my power and covered my sword with it, only to have it break when faced with his barrage of fists and swipe kicks..

Honestly, there was no technique evident in his movements when he changed, just pure rage and raw strength..

Well, I can't make excuses, since I was pummeled into oblivion, whilst being drilled with countless holes..

"*Sigh* Just be glad Master gave us the power to revive using his magic power, or you'd be left without even so much as ash as your mark on this world.." - Cassandra

"Of course, I serve master with all my life, I would always be forever grateful.." - Alexander

I declare in a confident voice, talking about my one and only master, Kaito. The one who summoned us all here..

"Ha, when we report to master later, you are so gonna be hated for losing. grrr.." - Fenrir

I hate to admit it, but he's right. Master can get quite angry sometimes. I swallow my saliva in response to the provocation of the muscle-brain. Just thinking about what my punishment will be, fills me with dread..

"Well, now that we've established your failure, let's find Master and report about the boy, and Xander, you go back to the royal capital and continue your mission. It is imperative that the plan goes smoothly.." - Cassandra

"I still get to remain here? Why don't I go with you guys?" - Alexander

I was reluctant on keeping up this act of obeying the weaklings here..

"Are you defying orders? Do you want to experience agony?" - Cassandra

"Ah, no, no, understood. I will remain here, and report to the capital about this incident.." - Alexander

"Good, now let us be off, Fenrir.." - Cassandra

That was a close call, I almost got killed twice in one day..

With those words, the two disappeared using [God Speed]..

I really don't want to do this mission any more than I have to, but it's much better here than facing her wrath..

Thinking idly, I look back into the direction of the village..

"They're probably all dead, huh. I wish I could fight with that guy again in the future.." - Alexander

To be frank, I could never imagine winning against that monster, but I was always looking for a challenge...

It's in my blood, the only reason to live is fighting people stronger than yourself..

While looking at the destroyed surroundings with a mischievous grin, I invoke [Legend Movement] and ran towards the capital due eastward..

-Orion's POV-

I opened my eyes, only to see a bright, blinding light..

When my perception got better, I could see that I was in a large white room..

Where am I?

Lets see, the last thing I remember was..

"Lute, Anna, everyone..."

They were all destroyed by Gaziel-san, no, Mastema, and Mephisto disguising himself as Raizel-san..

What happened to them?

Are they safe somehow?

I cling to that hopeful idea..

After that, I was talking with someone..

He looked exactly like the me from Earth..

In fact, he said he was me, no, he was the original Suzuya Junichiro..

It's hard to accept it, but some part of me is thinking that he didn't lie about that part..

Then, who am I, exactly?

Am I a fake existence created just to fill in for the original's life?

Does that mean my entire life, up until now, was a lie?

I have so many questions and no one to answer them..

Well, first, since there was no one here except me, let's get out..

I move towards the door that was located at the center of the right wall. When I held the knob, it felt strange..

"Locked, huh.."

But this was the only door in the room no matter how you looked at it. Plus, there was no key to be found anywhere I looked, there was only pure white walls, that looked like it was trying to suffocate me..

Wait a minute, this reminded me of something..

Doors?

This was just like that time with the many doors..

Could I still use aura magic like that time? Only one way to find out..

I moved my aura to my hand, and held the door knob..

*Click*

After I twisted it, the door flew open and let me out..

What greeted me was a nostalgic but complex labyrinth of doors..

I finally remembered where I was..

I'm in my subconscious aren't I?

I think to myself looking around, reminiscing the time when I was trapped here before I met Master..

If I remember correctly, one of these doors lead to the outside but..

I had to use my [Aura Eyes] to tell which is which out of these array of doorways..

"Ah, this is going to take a while..(sigh)"

I mutter to myself in the dark labyrinth..

Hey, no matter how you look at it, wasn't this taking too long?

It's been hours since I started finding the exit with my skill but there was no door that glowed like the last time I was here, while at the same time, all the doors I found were locked..

Even if I unlocked them, when I went through every one, I just ended up at the entrance..

What the heck is going on?

As I was going to give up without even a day passing, like the easily discouraged guy that I am, I noticed something..

How strange, was this always here?

I was looking at a strange entrance that somehow looked like an elevator..

Normally, I would question my sanity when an elevator suddenly appears in front of you but..

I was currently inside the elevator..

Don't look at me with those eyes, I was curious!

Valid excuse? Ha, who do you think you're talking to?

Alright, that's enough of that..

Instead, let's find out why the door already closed but there were no buttons to press...

Ah, is this a premise to a horror movie? Is that it?

Oh, there was something else on the wall instead..

It looked like one of those scanners you see in movies where secret agents were the only ones who could use it..

How cool..

No, this wasn't the time to be admiring spy movies..

I unreservedly placed my hand on the scanner..

I wait..

I wait......

I wait..............

Hey, is this broken? It's been a few minutes you know?

Wasn't this the inside of my head? Does that mean that my head was broken?

No, I'm jumping to conclusions again, remember that this was another world, different from mine..

Even so, what should I do..

Am I stuck here now? Do I have to live out my days inside an elevator alone?

Hey, can someone tell me? I beg of you..

Oh, it seemed I activated a skill by mistake and the scanner glowed..

It was [Depressing Aura] but if I retort I will lose..

So, let's move on..

After the scanner glowed in an ominous light, the elevator suddenly started moving down..

I was just hoping there wasn't a mad serial killer wearing a hockey mask waiting for me when I stop..

While I was wishing for stupid things like that, the elevator suddenly stopped with a "ding", and I walked out..

After I entered a dark hallway illuminated with modern fluorescent lamps, the elevator closed behind me..

When I turned around to check, it was gone. I was scared..

This was bad, wasn't this exactly like that hospital movie with the killer underground I used to watch?

Yes, I watched movies alone too, so no need to comment on that..

Well, there wasn't any point to keep standing around, so I reluctantly walked through the corridor..

After what seemed to be long hours of nerve-wracking suspense watching out for voices and unknown assailants coming after my life or the lingering spirits of the dead with regrets, I reached an entrance..

By the way, I got scared for nothing, since it was all quiet even until I reached here..

But I will never admint that I was scared, no. I was just being cautious..

Yes, let's go with that..

While reaffirming my pride, I applied aura to the large door handle, and went inside easily..

I wasn't that stupid. Of course I would have noticed that most things here were unlocked with aura..

When I entered the dark room, the lights suddenly flickered, and shone brightly soon after..

Illuminating the room and at the same time, blinding my eyes for a good few seconds, was the large lamp like it was from one of those Japanese inns, fully equipped with a night light..

What greeted my eyes was a sight for sore eyes..

A television, a real honest-to-goodness television..

The last time I saw one of these, was when I was still watching every anime show I could think of..

Good times, good times..

Ah, now that I noticed it, there was also a long, sleek couch opposite of the television, separated by a stylish coffee table in the middle with a strange object on it..

No, it wasn't strange..

Could it be?

It was!

One of the objects that I guaranteed that I held in my hand most of the time when I was back on earth..

No, it wasn't a phone. I wasn't popular, remember?

It was a mouse I used when browsing the internet..

But why was it on the table when there wasn't a monitor? Heck there wasn't even a keyboard..

Still, there wasn't anything else in this room, so I naturally sat down on the couch and looked for the remote..

Alas, this was a cruel joke. The remote was nowhere to be found, and I found a slight sting in my right eye..

No, I wasn't crying..

This was just sweat coming from my eyes. Yes, that's it..

I don't know why I was making excuses to myself, but I know it would only bring me down more..

So, I picked up the mouse to hold it one more time because there was nothing else here except for this..

But the mouse didn't do anything either..

Ah, that's it! Let's try using aura again..

Let's see...

When I was releasing aura from my hand that was holding the mouse, the television suddenly turned on by itself..

The screeching sound of static and the grey squiggles were showing on the screen..

"Please no little man wearing a creepy mask"

I chanted this like I was praying to someone like a cultist..

But when the static settled, I was surprised to see a blue window instead..

Aura Detected: Identifying..
    Identify Complete: Confirmed Identity..
    User: Orion (2nd Persona)
    [API] is beginning to boot up..
    Please wait a moment..

Eh?

What is this? Am I in the future?

While being dumbfounded after reading the words written in Japanese, I wait for the television to change..

Welcome to Aura Persona Interactive [ API ]
    User: Orion ( 2nd )
    :Interactive Options:
    - Browse Memories -
    - Spectator Mode -
    - Transmit Thoughts -
    - Request Interchanging Of Persona -
    :Other Options Are Currently Locked:

What? Options?

I didn't understand fully what happened, but this suddenly turned game-like..

For now, let's try an option that is less likely to be dangerous..

Okay, I have decided!

I move the mouse over to the option, - Transmit Thoughts - , and clicked it..

The next moment, a pair of headphones suddenly appeared out of thin air..

As I was an avid gamer, I placed the headphones on my head without a hint of hesitation..

Don't underestimate those who have delved into the world of gaming because real life can be cruel..

I judged that the microphone attached to the headphones would be used to transmit my thoughts..

It was just like those chat calls I used to do with my team mates back on Earth..

People online were somewhat easier to interact with than real people back then, so I naturally grew accustomed to setting up my microphone and placed it near my mouth..

I wondered who I was transmitting to, but let's try it out for now. Nothing could go wrong right?

As I reassure myself that I was not raising a flag, I watched the television screen change into the words..

[ API ] Connection Established
    Speak Now

Alright..

After clearing my throat once, I begin to part my lips..

"H-hello?"

-Lucifer's POV-

"Damn.."

This was terrible..

I just felt two of my [Archdevils] were killed..

The proof of that, was the large surge of power that returned to me..

I concluded the ones who have fallen were Mastema, and Mephisto..

Which meant that the mission I gave them in "Myriad" failed..

Judging on how my wisdom and strength returned, they must have been truly vanquished..

Well, if their souls were still lingering, Polaris-sama could revive them, but the problem was the person in question..

I could not very well ask the busy "Demon Goddess" to revive failed minions since she had better things to do anyway..

But even so, they were minions, but they were certainly not weak..

In fact, they ranked top when compared to the rest of the demon race, special existences, who were given life by Polaris-sama using my genes and enormous magic power..

Even if I was the "Demon Lord", the four of them together could give me a decent fight..

Which begs the question, who was the one who killed them?

They could never have a human that strong that could match them except the hero..

But even the hero couldn't have took them both on, and I had information that the hero was preparing for war..

Naturally, I was sure that they were defeated separately, and with cunning tricks..

They must have been sealed, or couldn't use their power for some reason..

Yes, humans were tricky creatures, using their gathered wisdom and numbers to fight..

But there was rarely a time when they would separate from each other..

No, no, this must have all been taken into account, this was just bad luck and timing. A fluke if you wish..

Naturally, I was mad but I had to keep up my composure as a ruler..

It was regrettable that the plans were hindered, but I had to move on..

The others were still alive and carrying out the plans in both the east and west continents..

It was only a matter of time..

So, since I wanted to investigate what exactly happened, I sent spies to move to "Myriad" and find out..

While looking over my territory, I couldn't relax because I had a murky feeling within me..

-Jun's POV-

The soft morning breeze blew through my hair..

Sunlight was seeping through the cracks of daybreak..

Illuminating the village houses and the trees, reflecting different colors of the prism..

Signifying the start of a brand new day..

But, the bitterness of yesterday cannot be glossed over that easily..

I was currently standing with Germundo at my side, watching a little boy in front of a large white stone..

While clenching my fist till I was nearly bleeding, I was mocking my own hubris in silent rage..

At the back of the village chief's house, I was staring at the shaking back of a little boy with wolf ears and a drooping tail, trying his best not to show tears in our presence while he was twitching from time to time..

It seemed he was saying something to the grave, his mom's grave while not realizing he had tears flowing down his cheeks like a waterfall, which I did not say out loud..

I was still regretting the fact that I wasn't cautious that time, and trusted that Jin wouldn't be in any danger..

What strength? Wasn't I just an arrogant bastard that thought that I could do anything?

All that talk, and for what? When the time came, I couldn't shake that guy off..

I had to watch a mother sacrifice her own life to protect her son who was just trying to save her...

I couldn't forgive myself..

Did I realize my own strength was my own unbecoming?

Don't mess around with me..

I was regretting my own incompetence and going back on last night, finding what I could have done instead of that stupid plan of splitting up and attacking blindly. If I took a different route back then, this wouldn't have happened..

What happened after I invoked my skill, [Aura of Wrath] was..

I materialized a minigun with my creation skill, and shot every single enemy on sight..

Starting from the archer that shot the arrow, all the way to the arrogant noble..

The knight was still dodging but he moved slower than before, so I grazed him most of the time..

It ended in a few seconds, I drilled them with holes that made their bodies unrecognizable..

The only one who was left standing was the strange knight with broken armor, wielding a sword that had no trace of being chipped or rusted, reflecting the moonlight with its gleam..

So, I kicked it up a notch and used [Aura Flash] to drag the knight to the outskirts of the village..

This was to avoid casualties and unneeded destruction..

Not that I cared that much, but I still retained a little of my reason in this state, albeit hard to do..

When I was outside, I released my skills and fought using my instincts with my body moving by itself..

The [Aura of Wrath] skill was dangerous since it moves the body automatically in order to completely annihilate the target regardless of the means. So I decided to study more on this in the future..

It was taking a bit more time than expected since he could still dodge and adapt for a while but when his sword suddenly broke, the victor was decided..

There was no trace of his corpse left after I regained my calm..

When I confirmed that there was no enemies left, I hurriedly went back to the village..

I cleaned up the remaining lackeys who were secretly retreating using the map and made it back to the square..

When I saw the elderly woman with wolf ears and tail, I immediately rushed towards her and the crying Jin, using my recovery skills, but no matter how much I tried regenerating her body, she didn't get any better..

After she told me that it was fine, I stopped and concluded that it was too late..

The reason was glaringly clear. The arrow was coated in poison, a lethal one at that..

Since my aura could only regenerate and not cure, there was no helping it..

Even if I created a new skill, it wouldn't work since regeneration would shorten your lifespan little by little..

I found out that the woman was already ill and kept it from Jin and Germundo even before she came to the village..

The disease was an incurable one that [Beastman] contracted. It will gradually take years off of your life the more it is left untreated. And because it was incurable, it was no different from a death sentence..

Her lifespan was shortening day by day at a rapid rate but still, she chose to live freely..

Such admirable spirit, although it was detrimental in the current situation..

The disease was alien to anything I had ever known..

I had no way to cure it..

I was powerless..

There was nothing I could do except wait..

When she knew her time came, she said her last words to Jin that I politely tuned out for privacy..

Surprisingly, she said to me..

{"Thank you.."}

What? What were you thanking me for...

I couldn't do anything to help you..

Why was she gently smiling to me, a total stranger..

I would never know..

Since soon after, she took a slender sword out of thin air which could only be called beautiful, and gave it to Jin..

Just before she slowly closed her eyes for good..

And now, I was lamenting my decisions and wanted to go back..

I didn't want this..

I didn't want to get involved with others, but I didn't want to hurt the innocent either..

I disappointed Jin, that little kid who easily believed that I was a person to look up to..

I didn't know what to do except stand here looking at the back of Jin from afar, who was unsheathing the sword his mother gave him, a memento that he was currently holding like it was precious..

Maybe I should say my farewells to this place now..

With me here, he would always be reminded of my lies, and I would always be reminded of my helplessness..

At that moment, when I motioned to turn around..

I heard a familiar voice that sounded nervous..

'H-hello?'