Request My wish to all translators and editors

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ferndoll, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than just requesting for everyone to work together, I think it is better to invest in said translators(with subscriptions and ko-fi for example) and hope they get more motivated to translate said novels quicker and more consistent.
    I mean, money can be a strong factor for some.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You sounded reasonable but you lost me at
    ....donate and hope

3. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, he's right. If one person gives one dollar, he can only hope hundreds of others will consider doing the same to support a translator.
    If not for the donations being barely enough for me, I'd have to work in my free-time instead of translating, and so I wouldn't have time to do it.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    He didn't say $1. You cannot receive $200 in donations and the only give hope in return
    It becomes a commission

5. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't know, where I live, 200 is not much. For one novel that'd be okay, but for multiple novels, I don't see 200 being enough to expect translators to give up their lives and focus solely on translating and make it their carrier, is what I'll say.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but my point is that if the donation is sufficient getting hope in return is pretty ridiculous and in some places, it is even illegal.
    The original comment was vague so I am just grasping at straws to be honest

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather be a slave? Well, translate on a plantation, then!

kenar likes this.
  8. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, not everyone gets motivated at money and at times it could even demotivate them for any reasons. Like hobby translators wanting some money, but not so much that would make them feel responsible or people living in pretty expensive places needing certain amount of income for this to become viable.
    There's always some risk in this unless you're sure said translator would become more motivated or get more time to translate with a few donations.

Like in my case, I would have to quit my job to spend more time translating without burning myself out, but that requires a pretty sizable income from translations if I want to do so. And what I get at this point simply won't make it anytime soon.
    Granted, I didn't particularly pick out novels based on generating as much income as possible, only picked whatever I liked to read, even if they're not that popular.
    But yes, if you get a good and stable income out of this, then yes, many would spend more time on this since it means no need to have other jobs.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  9. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    3BE7C2D0-137C-4B2A-8E9D-92CDDDE55CFC.jpeg

10. lykizan

lykizan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean, it sounds great in theory, but i can only imagine the chaos that would go down if groups like chrysanthemum garden decided to just stop all of their series to translate one. 1. i think the readers will riot 2. there's no way they can all co-translate a single novel

11. Vanvil

Vanvil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea why there would even need to be multiple translators and editors for a single novel.
    Editors maybe to triple check the content but multiple people translating would bring about quite a bit of chaos which in turn would cause slower rate of translation.
    Incredibly inefficient is my look on this.

12. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    rynn and suika in Twitter seems to be doing well, they're already done with a 200+ novel. But like what they say, survival comes in pairs, so for others there must be a limit when it comes to working on a single title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.