Question Need a bit of help with a passage.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by yuu-oniichan, Jan 14, 2016.

1. yuu-oniichan

yuu-oniichan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    「さあな、普通貴族の依頼を断る冒険者はいないからな。断るなら街から逃げるからな。そんなことするなら大概は会うことにする」

I've translated this as:
    Come now, normally there aren't any adventurers who would refuse a noble's request. Those who refuse are ones that are escaping from town. If you do that, you're likely going to meet.

But it doesn't make sense at all. Can someone help me out? Please and thank you.

The Darkness likes this.
  2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know.., normally, there woudnt be any adventurers that would refuse a noble's request. if I'm refusing them, than Ill probably meet with them first.

Ps. My english are horrible

3. Unadon

Unadon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows, normally there are no adventurers that refuse a request from nobles. They have to escape from the city if they refused after all. If you are going to do that, try to meet them.

さあな is usually "who knows". The last sentence probably is talking about meeting someone or something.

4. kevmasterzoc

kevmasterzoc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asf, it kinda seems like your missing the middle part in your translation, the part about the running away part.

Unadon beat me to it. Would make it a little easier if the previous line was there to see what the person was responding to, but unadon's translation sounds right

Asf likes this.
  5. yuu-oniichan

yuu-oniichan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, thanks a lot for the help!

So '大概は' is used to mean 'do this first' or 'you might as well'? I got confused because I looked up the kanji and it was something like "in general" or "for the most part"

6. Fragments of Shadows

Fragments of Shadows [The Broken One] [Chaser of Tales] [Hungry Ghost]

Reading List:
    Link
    Without more of the chapter it's hard to tell.

The problem you're having hinges on the phrase 会うこと which could be translated in several ways including: a meeting; meeting things; meeting accidentally; a bad experience; misfortune. This is because 会う seems to have several definitions including: 1) to meet 2 ) to have an accident or bad experience.

Based on the first two sentences I'd say that the third sentence is probably: In doing such things they generally have a bad experience.

Or something along those lines. I only started trying to learn the language like a month ago though so I'm no expert.

Edit: the second sentence might also be better written as: In the case of refusal they escape from the town.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. Reugros14

Reugros14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Well now, normally there aren't adventurers who would deny the request of a noble, and have to escape from the city if they refused. So, mostly people rather would meet than deny".

Change whatever grammar you need, and this was the best I could give you without any context.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. nixxara

nixxara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest putting the "After all" in the beginning. After all, they have to escape from the city if they refused...

9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it sounds fine, a few bits of change doesnt really metter. Imo.
    Ps. If you can replicate the intonation and emotion of the original text then it would be perfect.. even if you change things a bit

10. The Darkness

The Darkness 『False God』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I can't read whatever language that is.

But if to guess

Come on now, there is a reason adventurers normally don't refuse a noble's request. As those who refuse are forced out of town. A fate you will likely meet if continue to refuse.

JEI likes this.