Need help with RAM

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a really old motherboard and i need new ram, but my mb can only support up to 1333mhz ram so will it work if i replace it with a 1600 mhz ram? Will it not work at all or will it just work at 1333 mhz?
    And can you recommend me a good 2x4 gb of dd3 ram?
    It should also be cheaper than 60€.

2. KingOfDreams

KingOfDreams [Master of Sleepiness]

Reading List:
    Link
    it might work but you'll get less performance you'd be better off buying 1333 one, for recommendations i would suggest you to visit local stores, they have cheaper rams compared to shopping portals.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  3. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck finding 2 x 4 GB for less than 60€. All I can find is something that would cost you 70€+
    Try looking around Newegg if you want(dare)
    Newegg RAM

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  4. Zeff

Zeff Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All ddr3 ram is basically the same, just some of the chips are slightly higher quality and can stand higher heat/electricity/etc. Ram has frequency and timing. So a 1333 ram is probably lower quality ram then the 1600 which is guaranteed at higher frequencies. The 1600 will probably be lowered to work at 1333 but might actually run at tighter timings and still be superior to the native 1333 ram. It's even possible for 1333 ram to run at 1600 at really crapping timings, but going down is always easier.

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If I remember correctly, most ddr3 ram is actually 1333mhz. They just offer the ability to overclock to higher speeds (above 2000 mhz even)

Most ram is made by the same companies and rebranded, other then yield quality as long as you go with a reputable brand it should be fine. (but even then when you dont plan to overclock, undervolt or the like it matters little)

6. SleepingPIG

SleepingPIG Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is it good to put another ram with higher clock rate than the one you are using and combine a ram like 2gb + 4gb = 6gb ram is it good?

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not good, but you might be able to get away with it.

Most systems use what's called dual-channel memory. If you don't populate the DIMMs with modules of the same capacity, then the extra capacity on the larger module might run at half-speed as compared to the rest of the memory. It's also possible that you will either lose the extra capacity of the larger stick, or it could just not work at all. You'll need to look at the documentation from your motherboard and CPU manufacturer to determine what would happen. In most cases, it's best practice to match two identical modules, as even modules of identical capacity and frequency from different product lines can be incompatible.

To ensure maximum compatibility, all of the following should match for both modules (taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture):
    • Capacity (e.g. 1024 MiB). Certain Intel chipsets support different capacity chips in what they call Flex Mode: the capacity that can be matched is run in dual-channel, while the remainder runs in single-channel.
    • Speed (e.g. PC5300). If speed is not the same, the lower speed of the two modules will be used. Likewise, the higher latency of the two modules will be used.
    • Same CAS Latency (CL) or Column Address Strobe.
    • Number of chips and sides (e.g. two sides with four chips on each side).
    • Matching size of rows and columns.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. SleepingPIG

SleepingPIG Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is any brand acceptable as long as the module is the same capacity?

9. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    The best is if they are the same model and you can buy kits which are surely compatible

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Module capacity is only one aspect of a RAM module. As I mentioned in my previous post, RAM modules need to match in capacity, speed, and CAS latency to ensure maximum compatibility. Your best bet for both performance and compatibility is to purchase two matched modules. Most brands sell matched sets of RAM as a kit. For most pepole, my recommendation for upgrading RAM is to buy a kit that will work with your system.

11. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Scarlett

Scarlett Your Own Personal Gal ^.<

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as your motherboard can support your new RAM but I recommend to buy new Mother board so it can support further updated RAM