Need your opinions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    I started making a game recently, mostly to keep myself interested in learning a new language. It is a rpg roguelike dungeon crawler. I am now finishing my map and fixing some things about it. The map is randomly generated.
    Now, my question is, do you guys thing there is too much free space in the map and is the coloring ok?
    The map is 50x50 but there will be lvls to every map, so it will be like a tower (like in Novel extra);
    https://imgur.com/a/1Uu37Hf
    any tips and opinions are welcome

2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm it’s too hard to see. I had to turn up the brightness to see it clearly.
    I also have no idea what I’m looking at since it’s just blue dots covering a black background.

3. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    What is hard to see? How do you mean that? You can zoom into the pictures, and that is only a map, witout monsters players and items. the @ on the last few pics is the player.

Or did you mean the contrast is bad?

4. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's bird pov? If you only move 1 square per movement, 50x50 is way too big, especially if you make it a tower thing. You should rather make a lot of small floors instead, with like 2-3 enemies and some kind of treasure or reward on each floor.

5. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    The blue dots are the rooms and passages where the player and monsters are able to move, the rest is just walls.

6. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    I found a few problems with my map generator, since it generates the lvl randomly, sometimes I get a few disconnected rooms. So, if I make it too small they probably won't connect.
    And is it really too big? only around 30% of the map is passable

7. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So each picture is a map for each floor where the character will go through while fighting monsters etc? What do you mean by free space though?

Anyways, the map seems ok for now, but it depends on how your game turns out at the end

8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I want straight route to the exit, left and right there is treasure chest, monster encounter only have 1 hp and give trillion exp, no trap floor........ shortcut is allowed..... wait there is something wrong here

9. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. So the dots are the places you can move. Still not sure why you didn’t stick with a typical white on black background. It’s a lot easier to see.

10. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    Each map is randomly generated and these are just a few examples. What I mean by free space is too much open space. Since in these games it is usually a room and passages, but here I have a lot of merget passages and some rooms, so there is a lot of open space and Idk if that would bother some people

11. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at all that char, int syntax to the side though! Does it take a lot of coding to make this map or something? Interested cause i'm actually studying it in school!

12. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly, cause it is ugly. just white and black. Since I am just testing this now, I picked a color I like, but didn't know it would have such a problem. Will change it to a lighter shade or some other color (no white). If you have any ideas tell me and I will try it and show you the results

13. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    I am also a beginner and doing this in Java so this is probably overcomplicated and needs a lot of fixing, but I wrote around 400 lines of code for this

14. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you planning on making the game a legit roguelike? Is that why you need the randomly generated map?

15. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, that is my main concern. I have been working on connecting these rooms for the past few days. And this is the best result.

16. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    yes

17. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    You want to play a game where you are a CN MC? Also want a starting artifact?

18. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm okay. So you just want to make the a roguelike for fun. Have fun. Since I can't actually see the gameplay I can only say that you should lighten the dots. They're hard to see. Other than that just keep things simple. Unless you don't actually want anyone to play it. Honestly making roguelikes are hard. There's a lot of balancing and making procedurally generate maps is even harder.
    It should be able to clear the game on the first try yet people should be able to get right back to the game to the game no matter how many times they die. It's a tough genre.

Also yes after looking at it for a while the map does look a bit too big.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  19. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to say without any actual gameplay to analyze. The answer depends on how many objects and NPCs you plan to fill the maps with, how much ranged abilities there will be, how many floors you plan to have per game and what you want the game style be like.

As a blind guess it might be fine. Many other popular games such as Nethack and ADOM had maps of that size.

The colours as well. If you ran that on fullscreen, the objects are clear and recognizable. That said, different displays do have different settings and people can tweak contrast and whatever so the experience might vary.

20. Mr Pancakes

Reading List:
    Link
    I could run this on fullscreen but want to avoid it at least for now since then I would have to also implement the camera movements, and I really don't want to start with that. Also no magic, or no animations at least for now. For now I won't make NPCs except merchants, only monsters. Game will probably have infinite floors since they will be similar just harder and with more mobs and items.