Net neutruality final jugement from US Senate

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by sealteam14, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MH2

MH2 [Former Child]

Reading List:
    Link
    kinda meh about it
    Its not that big of a deal (to me at least)(not in US)
    And even if it was removed, people would have to at most pay a couple of extra bucks for the net

2. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What seriously amazes me beyond this passing is the person behind it. Ajit Pai used to work for one of the providers as a lawyer or something similar, how can they allow someone with such obvious connection come forward with this bill. I mean is like clearly saying to the world, "Hey I'm a paid bitch, I sold all of you peoples right to Verizon and co. because I don't give a fuck."

3. Vexram

Vexram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    each month, each year, hidden costs, ect. yeah sure just a couple extra bucks till the bill is 2-3x higher than it used to be but he speed and quality is still just as shit.

4. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People who think it's not related to them because they don't live on the U.S don't seem to get that this won't just affect us, every site using U.S providers will feel the change. So maybe it won't change things for them on foreign sites but american based ones? Well you will see what I mean soon.

Don't lose hope though, this battle is constantly changing so maybe a year or so from now it will go back to being an utility.

Agame, Ionseeker, Viola and 1 other person like this.
  5. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering how prolific the U.S. is online and how often they set Global Trends i would think them voting to abolish Neutrality should be a worrying event for everyone.

6. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone must use the Chewbacca defense!

7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    by then it will be too late as ISP will refuse to lower the cost of internet and use every excuse in the book to leave internet cost at all time high blaming it on anything and everything.

8. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are too greedy! Hope they die right now!

9. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    Take this from someone who lives in a country where one company holds a monopoly on the internet. It is fucking shit.

They can do whatever they want, and your only option is to either bend over and take it in silence, or repeatedly call them only to get some scripted bullshit reply thrown in your face and then still be forced to bend over anyways.

Want half-decent internet? Be prepared to pay out the ass for it, and then still be forced to pay someone to regularly come over and fix the company-issued router that constantly stops working for no reason at all. The only places that have a good connection are organizations that have a package-deal with the only ISP in the country. They can make up arbitrary rules and prices whenever they want because there is no competition.

10. Crazyh3

Crazyh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't affect people outside of the US because it doesn't affect servers based in the US, it affects the providers who allow ppl in the US to access the net. So people outside the US won't have problems accessing things in the US or outside, but people in the US will have problems accessing stuff in the US and outside.

11. Pyrenose

Pyrenose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. SirCharlesIII

SirCharlesIII Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in Brazil it will be a problem, here the companies are trying to destroy net neutrality for years now and if in the USA the net neutrality goes down the companies will use this as a excuse to abolish net neutrality in Brazil too.

13. Vexram

Vexram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well on the bright-side, americans just have to sue ISP providers by claiming infringement on their first amendment. after enough lawsuits and hopefully wins for the consumers, ISP's will realize how big of a mistake they made. i mean, if a person can sue McDonald's because they burnt themselves with coffee and win, it should be easy to win an legitimate case.

14. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Net Neutrality is an issue because there is not enough competition between ISPs some places only have 1 or 2 options. If the entire US had like 10 choices consumers would just go with the least screwed up company.

There are some parts of Net Neutrality I agree with and some I don't (its more than just 1 issue)

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the net neutrality stuff is on the consumer side (last-mile) of the internet. I'm not aware of any backbone providers throttling traffic. If it stays that way, it's unlikely that anyone outside the US will see any change as a direct result of this. The bad part is that other countries may try to imitate this model if it proves successful in the US.

Edit:
    That's not to say backbone providers won't do bad stuff in the future. I'm just not aware of any backbone providers doing it, currently.

16. Kagenesti

Kagenesti [Dao of Taming] [Dao of the Wild]

Reading List:
    Link
    Another problem is Verizon and Comcast becoming a co-operative monopoly. Even if US keeps things as they are its probably only a matter of time before it comes up again from them.

17. Agame

Agame The Prinny Of Questionable Tastes

Reading List:
    Link
    Greedy fucks that want more money plain and simple. These companies aren’t even trustworthy too, they lied about not making internet slower for other sites when net neutrality wasn’t a thing. And they will simply do the same.

18. Vexram

Vexram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    with as vocal as gamers are about their games. i wonder what kind of backlash the ISP's are gonna face when gamers find out their online gaming is being throttled.

SilverFeather likes this.
  19. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    While the internet will become a tad boring without muricans... wait... a load of translators come from the USA... F*CK!

Now lets prepare to riot!

It's time to make lan parties great again!

20. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Comically enough, the main way that ISPs can run afoul of the new FCC directives is if they do anti-consumer stuff, like throttling, and lie about it. The new regulation requires the ISPs to be transparent about being bastards. If they lie, the FTC might go after them.

Agame likes this.