LCD Night Ranger

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Slightly Canted

Slightly Canted Grey Warden

Reading List:
    Link
    All who act to harm our guy (MC and his family) should die. Violently. By either the MC's own hands or upon his direct order. White and his family are at the top of the list. Waiting for some outside influence, in this case the calamity, is simply far too passive. They, particularly White, need to die now. Though taking out the whole family will likely have to wait until after the calamity because it's highly unlikely MC has enough time and resources to destroy a mega family at this point in time.

The fact that the trial was rigged to not even be a trial has a two-fold purpose. The first purpose was to display the power of the Unicorn family. The second purpose was to to display the point of view of the Ruler of the Tower, Hathaway. As for the trial being a sham itself is pretty much par for the course in these types of stories. It's not surprising and quite common.

Wayne is quite weak and unable to caste 1st level spells. Plus this competition is tailor made for MC to display his prowess.

I think reading this story and trying to relate it to how people would react in real life will be a frustrating and ultimately futile effort. But hey, we all get our kicks in different ways.

The only thing I find odd about the MC's decision making process thus far is his decision to ignore the reason the Unicorn family ultimately wants his territory. Particularly because he already knows where that "reason" is; in the secret passageway under the castle.

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did they ever say that the Unicorn family wanted his territory? I thought White just attacked Wayne because he was a strong competitor without a strong backer?

gary0044187 likes this.
  3. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are conflating two groups. Unicorn kid poisoned the brother so he could win the tournament. Note that even the rest of the Unicorn family is pissed at him for dragging them into this scuffle and raking their name through the mud with hathaway. A certain Sir whose name I don't remember from the twin snakes cult is the primary actor moving against his territories, with other groups also appearing including that japanese sounding named kid that had to back off. So far we have no proof that either the Unicorn clan people or the others are connected, we don't even know that the people moving on his territory are even connected.

4. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    Also @jacobpaige

Actually you guys are right. I mistakenly connected the 2 groups. I have no proof that they are the same people. But If I recall correctly, the latest info we got about who ordered the attack on White River Valley (WRV) was obtained by the 2 Elven assassins the MC obtained from the Old God. The info they brought back was that the person behind the mercenary group (the group that wanted to cause trouble for the MC's operation) was "busy with something" so they couldn't devote any more time to harming WRV. The MC reasoned out that the reason the person behind the scenes was busy was that Hathaway had come out of seclusion and was wrecking shop in her Tower. Therefore indicating that the person behind the scenes was a member of one of the Wizard towers.

Am I mistaken about that?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it may conveniently turn out that way, but really you would have to reach to make that logical conclusion.. TBH, I think it is someone after the thing in their basement, which I assume is tied to their bloodline.

6. Nomota

Nomota Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only reason I read this novel because its LitRpg and haa territorial management

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I quite like his plan ;)

That aside, he's really not being subtle about being MTB.

I wonder how he's planning to deal with Unicorn's wrath after he murders White.
    I honestly don't think territory management is going to play much of a role in this series. He'll probably leave the majority of the work to Wayne and the half-elf bodyguard while he wonders around offending and killing people in order to become super OP on his way to godhood.

You might try Doom Lord though. It's roughly on par in terms of quality and it's a litRPG with a fairly strong focus on territory management. There's also another one by the author of Shura's Wrath. I can't remember the name of it at the moment (World Online or something like that?), but your tolerance for stupidity, plot holes and excessive plot armor will have to be a lot higher to be able to enjoy it.

gary0044187 likes this.
  8. Nomota

Nomota Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont care about the story very much.. I only like how the author will put it in the novel.. I only read to kill time.. not to pick good novels.. no novels are perfect

9. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if the Unicorn family will send an army to his territory, or just an army of assassins. I'm betting on an army of assassins since he could kill them off one by one while constantly declaring his superiority as an assassin, but beating an army is basically impossible for him, so there's always the possibility that the author will go with that instead and then pull out the extra thick plot armor.

Of course, both is also an option. They could send the army of assassins while the competition is still ongoing and/or on his trip home and then follow up with the actual army when that failed. Since he might be able to pick up two necromancers on his way back home, he could have the war potential to make him winning seem extremely unlikely rather than impossible. Add in a few key (and hopefully, highly difficult) assassinations in the night and maybe an undead ambush for the rest of the army and the whole thing could be sorted in a fairly fun fashion.

10. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    Great chap! After a very satisfying end to the Guardian, there was some great planning, preparation, and execution by our guy. Slapping faces and kicking ass. That's the good stuff. Can't wait to see if asshole is dead or he had some other magic artifact to save his life. Rich bitch.

11. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    do you really think the unicorn family cares that much about the 13th heir that just pissed off hathaway?

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    They care about the face of their family. Even the biggest wastrel in these types of novels evoke a reaction from their family, not to mention that this kid was still a genius in his own right.

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it just me, or does that red dragon wiping out Unicorn feel like a bit of an a** pull? It would have been better if it had been mentioned when he was talking about how Anthony would be killed, without emphasizing it too much. Then it could have been brought up again here and it would been an "oh, yeah, there was something like that, wasn't there?" moment instead of a "woohoo, plot armor strikes again!" moment. Or was it mentioned back then and I'm just forgetting? I could have sworn it just talked about the cults running rampant though.

Now that is a much better reason for her to have helped him. Though honestly, he should have saving Hathaway in his plans already. Along with anyone else that would give the forces of darkness a headache really. Best to keep them distracted from his own territory after all. He could even start creating churches dedicated to the gods that were against the calamity as a way of rewarding them for not being evil, while simultaneously laying claim to their religions.

14. Desean101

Desean101 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I like that the reason Hathaway was watching him was because she kept forseeing her death until an Image of him popped up and she divined him showing up at the school soon.

I made the connection to the Red dragon awhile ago because it was mentioned that it came from the same area the Unicorn family was said to be from and he mentioned the Red dragon fucked alot of that area up. So Yeah I figured the reason he doesn't give a shit about them was because they were gonna get fucked soon by the dragon waking up.

elengee and jacobpaige like this.
  15. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah remember that the dragon was mentioned when talking about how the professor was hurt in a duel with this dragon which opened up both of them to be picked off by that assassin god. I love the idea that MC is going to gain his divinity by taking out this murderer. @jacobpaige I kinda expected him to know they had something coming their way when he was so decisive against them. I simply hadn't made the connection that @Desean101 had made at the time.

16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the competition required you to be rank 1? Why would he be allowed to participate after reaching rank 2? I mean, I could understand it if his brother advanced to rank 2 during the competition, but as a follower, he can be replaced, so I'd have thought that they'd force Wayne to replace him as matter of fairness. After all, most of these SoBs are extremely wealthy and fully capable of getting peak rank 1 followers, registering them, and then pushing them into rank 2 before the competition actually started. And if that sort of thing was allowed, I can't imagine why they wouldn't already be doing it.

17. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno, I really wonder if there are any rules at all. The fact that the unicorn boy was able to bring in staves that could cast high level spells pretty much invalidated any rule about ranks, right? TBH, I bet they were capped at rank 1, but for the next stage they are allowed to be higher rank or something. or author forgot and will come up with an excuse later.

18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    "The former crafted weapons they could use to withstand monsters’ attacks. "
    "No one needed weapons, so the old blacksmith naturally had no work. "
    So which is it? Also, is there another blacksmith in town or something? If not, then where do they get all their metalwork done if he's not the one doing it? Also, who repairs and replaces the adventurers' weapons?

For a moment there, I thought the girl was the trainer.

Speaking of advancement, I wonder if the half-elf will have managed to take a trip to an advancement trainer by the time Marvin gets back. Not advancing is just reducing her future potential.

gary0044187 likes this.
  19. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the way the story is developing. This night vision seems extremely useful. Can't wait to see how our guy waylays those bandits.

20. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hope she does, I hate to think that this story is going down a route with only his growth as important.