Discussion Not a lot of other types CNs being translated in NU

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tsuru55, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading it already. Near forgot about it.
    Also reading them but now there is like no updates at all, unless you tell me they are updated but not shown in the NU main page.

What i mean is : there should be more cooking or slice of life series still untouched that should be translated.

Here, i found this cooking system series :
    https://www.uukanshu.com/b/99043/&x...700265&usg=ALkJrhgL12LW0b6B50vm7-NrfFprLzXnDQ
    Use google translate chrome add-on.

2. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wu Jizun, known for translating Chinese series outside of cultivation and power-up stories but also dumped because the MCs didn't knock the socks forthwith when someone doesn't fawn over him, doesn't have crowds polishing his meat rod, didn't instantly bed a girl he met two minutes ago and isn't running the show whenever he makes an appearance.

See the contradiction?

Sabruness, asriu and ToastedRossi like this.
  3. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Huuuuuuh try to reformulate it plz. Basically the translator or the readers are not happy to see the stories not being wish fulfilment like the cultivation stories ?

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a self-perpetuating problem, isn't it? People think that Chinese novels just mean xianxia novels so they don't check out all the non-xianxia novels out there. And because they don't check out the non-xianxia novels any translator trying to tackle something different gets punished. To make matters worse, often even the readers who complain about common problems in xianxia novels refuse to read anything different (and then whine that all Chinese novels are the same).

My personal peeve is when people complain about wuxia novels when their comments make it obvious they've never actually read any before, and are just assuming that those are just like the xianxia novels they read!

Wu Jizun and Sabruness like this.
  5. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    In my luck i found another chinese cooking series (with system of course) that i already linked here. It's just that (surely because i am ultra pessimist) i fear that i will dislike the series when reading further / only the beginning is good.

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz there less or none translator who have interest out of mainstream

all language
    so that your answer
    yup

Wu Jizun likes this.
  7. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you're asking me to reformulate, but you demonstrated you got the point. To be fair, not all cultivation stories are automatically wish fulfilment. Also, factor in difficulty of the original text.

100%.

As if it wasn't bad enough, I recently noticed even some translators claiming they translate wuxia when they don't. Some are even saying misleading things along the lines of "This is a temple a wuxia character would cultivate at."

It really is getting hit with the bullet when you're already lying down (genre and translators).

8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? Do these translators not know what they're talking about or are they purposefully spreading misinformation. I get that xianxia is heavily based on modern wuxia, but they're fundamentally different genres with books that are trying to accomplish very different things. But I still see people saying things like "Wuxia and xianxia novels are about the same thing. They're both about getting stronger, and attaining wealth and power". Have people like this ever seen a wuxia novel before?

Wu Jizun likes this.
  9. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    For real. I think they do it to pander to readers but also for the SEO benefit, no cares given what happens as a consequence of it. I went through NU to make a list of wuxia series, and I saw a plethora of series incorrectly tagged as wuxia, xianxia and xuanhuan. Some of them spam both or all three at once, probably to boost the chances of coming up in searches. It's a tragic situation.

10. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Got 3 raw modern entertainment rebirth MC series, want them ?

11. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    same with isekai

12. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    The only time I have stuff to read is what I translate, lol.

There's a small, and rather comical, difference: Isekai has a fanbase. Wuxia almost only has a hatebase, usually from people who don't even know what it is. Post an isekai thread, you'll get pages. Post a wuxia thread, it withers the moment someone points out xuanhuan and xianxia are not wuxia.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    How about trying to translate it ?
    I will give the link away if you ever are interested in MC having funny programs + sweet romance(?).
    https://www.ptwxz.com/bookinfo/8/8075.html

14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    that's true xD. Wuxia genre used to be popular in my country iirc. Novels like wiro sableng. @Shio may know about this genre :blobReach:

Wujigege likes this.
  15. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I just did a cursory look and it's pretty bad. If you want some shared pain, the historical genre is in even worse shape. Something like 80% of the books that are labelled "Historical" on NU don't even take place on earth! I don't know if it can get any more baffling than that.

Shio and Wujigege like this.
  16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Follow the money as they say.
    People translate/write what makes the most money
    Well, there is god of cooking, it is Korean

17. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuji ? I already read this series (but not to last available translated chapter). Did you read it? Care to spoil me when we see the romance bloom/confirmed ? I am only at the end of the tournament/beginning of TV show where MC will taste dishes around the world.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahah I don't really read novels, I just pay to have them translated, try the LCD. I do watch live action dramas though.
    All the meimeis and noonas :blobnosebleed:

19. Wu Jizun

Reading List:
    Link
    Once and only once will I translate writing of that calibre. You want to know how that reads to me? This is how it reads:

Zhong Hualiu went to the shop.

He bought ice-cream and candy.

The ice-cream was expensive. The candy was on sale.

He went home and unlocked the door.

The interior was frosty.

Statistically speaking, those who write in that style repeat the same thing they wrote in sentence three five times through a chapter for no reason and abuse verbose descriptions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.