Misc Novel Updates Fanmade Website Redesign (unofficial !)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Xharyel, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Xharyel

Xharyel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys !

So I don't know if it's okay to post this here, if it isn't I apologize and mods feel free to delete this !

Short story : I was bored and recently annoyed by a client I'm working with so I decided to do some other stuff to calm my mind. I remembered an exam I did when I was a student (rebranding / redesign of exisiting stuff) and I really liked that kind of thing, so I decided to try again, but this time with NU.

So here's my version of what I would see for a modern NU :

New Version (after your feedbacks) :

[​IMG]

Web Mockup :

[​IMG]

Mobile Mockup :

[​IMG]

So after your feedbacks I took another approach. I got rid of the banner and just put everything to fit into the first fold. I decided to go with a "dashboard" style as I think it fits into what NU is about (I guess ? haha).

This version is optimized for 1080p monitors but could easily fit any other resolutions since this kind of design is totally responsive (blocs and bootstrap are best friends).
    Moreover, the good thing about this kind of blocs is that it's possible to choose to "hide" it or not, move them around, etc. it's adjustable (if coded with this intention).

Anyways, I made this version even more simple than the first one. I also decided to show more topics since 2 doesn't seem enough to me.

This is it.. For now !

See you nuffians ! o/

_________

Old Version (before your feedbacks) :

Full image :

[​IMG]

Mockup :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So my idea here was to use the top 3 novels of the month as the banner to add more "liveliness" and also to "promote" them (although for the most part they do not need promotion). I really didn't want to have a blank header so that's just my personal taste.

After that, I just remade the list (to make it more "modern looking"), while adding a filter and a few more informations. I also decided to limit it to 10 entries and add a button "load more" to load the updates of the day (10 by 10). I did this to not overload the homepage.

Then I decided to put the monthly ranking on the homepage so they would have more coverage and also added images to give the website more colors.

And finally the latest forum topics because I find myself looking at them quite a few times whenever I refresh NU, haha.

Overall it's quite simple, but that's what I wanted. To keep it simple. Since even though the current website has no design, it's quite functional and I'm used to it.

So that's it, I haven't done yet a novel's page, I'll do it next time. Btw, I'm aware that there are flaws and some missing stuff (maybe a topbar for user's stuff, etc.), obviously I did this on my free time, expect to have a better version next time !

PS : if you have any other stuff you'd like me to redesign, I'd gladly try if I like the website and of course if I have enough time. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Theo Thanasia

Theo Thanasia Medicine Master

Reading List:
    Link
    very cool!!!!

Emmyy likes this.
  3. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just for the record, that looked amazing.

4. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    That's pretty cool, you know. :blobokhand:

5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats good actually. We need to make it resemble a certain shady group's website because they have quite a big reputation, kappa.

6. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just enjoy what you make, people can appreciate it

7. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    looks nice, lets have @Tony throw a look at this

8. phenom007

phenom007 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That looks awesome

9. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks great but it reminds me a bit of qi and I don't like that...

10. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    That's really nice looking, but I think it's close in visual concept to a lot of agregator websites (color schemes, forwarded covers of monthly ranked novels, global lower priority to basic content (list of updated novels) compared to huge featured visuals, big flowing empty spaces, the fact that if you don't scroll you'll think there's only one novel on the website, etc...).

gauthamc likes this.
  11. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Doesn't look that functional, but I'm a minimalist so that might be it, bling for the sake of bling is just an eyesore
    2. It looks incredibly shady

runsing likes this.
  12. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    is it just me or tis is look like QI inspired?
    also how many script you'd need to create em?

13. Ams

Ams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it just me who thinks that this reminds one of QI ??

14. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    it basically is QI. But that said i do like their kind of concept and this does seem like a nice change. Think its better the way it is tho. I mean honestly the only thing i would like to see is change in the actualy list. Like give the cover images next to the the link title and have the summary expandable like how it is in RRL. so you dont gotta go to the page for it unless you want more details. Minor changes like that. Tho this design is nice, im a traditionalist!

15. MaidChan

MaidChan 『Battlemaid』 『TRAP』 『Homeless Maid』

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks something that i hate...

gauthamc likes this.
  16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just my opinion and views. In no way am I trying to mock or belittle your efforts or others' preferences.

I hate huge, obnoxious, space hogging banners. If a banner would take that much space, I probably would implore for a name change. No more Novel Updates but Novel Hub or the likes. The lure for NU to me is the simple and straight to the point layout it has. I come for the updates, I see list of latest updates as soon as I load the site. If I were to see one huge advertisement that usually requires a long loading time, I would be very adverse to using the site. Bear in mind, not all visitors are on high speed internet. I myself am on a max of 1Mbps most of the time, and a full time mobile phone user.

runsing, kenar, gauthamc and 3 others like this.
  17. vyragd

vyragd horo a qt

Reading List:
    Link
    cool design but i don't think the ux is good, the current one shows recent topics, latest favorite updates, and all other relevant stuff in one view without having to scroll down, using yours we have to scroll down a lot which is not a good thing for user experience

some people visit NU hourly, they don't have to deal with that big novel recommendation on the front page, it looks cool for the first time but when you visit every hour or every 3 hour it will be annoying to see that everytime

people who say it looks nice and NU should change into that have no idea what they're talking about, but i really like the logo though, simple and elegant

runsing likes this.
  18. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    I love NU because of the simple and easy-to-use design.

19. Xharyel

Xharyel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the feedback guys ! Don't worry about being harsh or whatever, I'm used to it, some clients are way worse...

Anyways, yeah, as I said, I'm aware that there are flaws that I plan on correcting when I have time. For the UX part, I do admit that I didn't think much about it, heck, I didn't even do wireframes. But honestly, I just wanted to do pure UI.
    But if you look closely, this version isn't the "user version", by that I mean there's no favorite, etc. I guess it might be possible to add something like a "remove banner" or stuff like that as "preferences" when logged on the site. But to me, I think it's important to have something to catch the eye for the new user.

I say this from experience, as 95% of the clients I deal with want a huge banner on the first fold. Tho I understand that NU isn't some corporate or marketing website, I do think it's quite nice to have a banner.

As for the "block order", I did it that way because of my own experience. I like to have my updates on the top, then see the ranking, then finally forum posts. That, again, are my preferences.

As for the QI thing, although it "kind of" looks like it, I think it's just because both NU and QI are about novels AND both are blue themed. In fact, other websites looks like QI.
    I won't talk about QI's methods or whatever as it isn't the point here, but it's sad to read "I don't like it because it looks like QI". It sounds to me like "I don't like you because you like Taylor Swift and I hate her". I do understand that people hate QI, but objectively, QI's design doesn't reflect their shadiness or negativity.

PS : Just to avoid misunderstanding, on the full image I posted, the thing around is just decoration. The real page is the thing on the middle (look at the mockup images to understand what I mean).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    it was a joke. how about make it like osu's homepage where the visitor can change between the old and the new theme? although i'm not sure about the burden or the server's cost