Recommendations Novels based on the western historical figures.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SoulZer0, Dec 14, 2018.

1. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, Alexander the Great(I mostly want this guy) for example or anyone. Doesn't matter, JP or KR or CN or Western novels.

Lianna likes this.
  2. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mein Kampf lol exdee
    Sorry, I can't help myself from making nazi jokes.
    The only thing I can think of is Otherworld Nation Founding Chronicles which is a jp novel about parallel world earth with mc creating a parallel world roman empire

KazuXSora and Alexios Blake like this.
  3. Djoty

Djoty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. TrollingTrolls

TrollingTrolls [Trash Talker]

Reading List:
    Link
    KIJIN likes this.
  5. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Alexander the Great considered a "western" historical figure?

6. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    just try reading a random historical book its better than the fiction , well at least it wont have a modern thingy and magic :hmm:

Octam likes this.
  7. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Fate/Zero
    there are some western historical figures walking around

madness- likes this.
  8. SSMachine

SSMachine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh...well this is an Asian novel directory if I'm not wrong. There aren't that many in the first place, so there's not much I can recommend. Battle of the Third Reich fits. Honestly you are better of searching on Google or maybe RRL.:blobconfused:

9. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
  10. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll recommend two non-fiction books I've read.

Anabasis by Xenophon. About ten thousand Greek mercenaries and their adventures throughout Persia. Read it in Old Greek a long time ago so I can't recommend any good translations, but it might be interesting if you want to know more about land war back then.

Lords of the Sea - although I didn't like everything about it (e.g. romanization of Greek names, written a bit too sensational?), it was still pretty good. It's mostly about Athens and its navy, but also talks about Philippos and Alexandros, their eventual rise and how it relates to Athens and its fleet. This book can learn you a lot about Athens and about Old Greece from the 6th century B.C. onwards.

11. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Tian Ze

Tian Ze Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A Step into the Past
    I know you want western history and this is chinese history and not sure how correct it is but I think this novel is really good. Ntr Warning tho def read the tags lol

13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    King of Mercenaries. It's a historical novel that's set in circa 1500 Germany and so it talks a lot about Early Modern Europe. There are a ton of historical figures in it: Leonardo da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, Isabella I, Maximillian I, Alexander VI, and so on. It also shows in detail how the different countries relate to each other and shows off some of the unique organizations of the period like the Kalmar Union, the Hanseatic League, and the Teutonic Order. I read a lot of historical novels and this is one of the first ones that deal with this era of European history and I learned a ton from it.

I don't think that there are all that few books on European history. Chinese writers love writing historical novels, and you'll find that even books based on Chinese history will often talk in great detail about Europe and historical European figures. A lot of these writers are familiar with Europe and European history so you'll find plenty of novels based on these subjects as well. The only reason why they may seem rare is because historical novels themselves are rarely translated. Or if you mostly just read Japanese web novels - those don't love history nearly as much as Chinese web novels do.