Discussion Novels you liked before you grew a taste

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For an old man like me, the works I'm reading sometimes change and stop being interesting (stopped reading about that spider since they hit cosmic flashbacks arc), and I have less time for works that were not that good from the start, but what I like remains pretty much the same. I haven't even discovered new genres I can enjoy since they invented otome game villainess reincarnation.
    I think I enjoyed harems since I saw my first one (was it Saber Marionette J anime?), and I'm still reading a few of them.

Fulminata and mir like this.
  2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    something involved with futa

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it was MGA. MGA was one of the first webnovels (not light novels) i read and it seemed good until it went full retard and i found better novels.

I actually quite like TDG though it got meh around the huge timeskip (somewhere around ch 400ish)

4. michiesther9

michiesther9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every rev harem in existence, basically.

5. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya it’s sad. The novels could have been so much better if only the authors didn’t stick to the same old shity template.

6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but not completely. Imagine adding the drama of actual people to characters in CN novels that are already over 1000 chapters long.
    It's basically a must for the MC to rush trough places and never come back otherwise the story wouldn't ever end. Though it would be much better if everything wasn't so generic.

flannan and Zerak like this.
  7. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take my money XD

8. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s not what I mean I mean change how the cultivation society as a whole acted.

Fist you don’t need to fuckin marry a girl if you don’t plan to even stay in the same fucking realm/dimension.

The society feels so much like ancient China but more arrogant. But that is not how a cultivation world would actually be like since after the fist few steps in the very first level of cultivation the difference between girls and guys physically would no longer exist. So it would not really be a male dominated world.

Also if you have female harems for powerful men you will male harems for powerful females and as times goes by the way people look at relationships would change.

Also I call complete BS about how being a virgin would help you cultivate, sure dual cultivation makes some sort of sense since you would exchange power refining each other’s power, but the act of intercourse would only be a easy way to link them and depending on the way you cultivate being different genders might not matter.

Another thing that bugs me is almost none tries to make their own techniques they just follow something that has been there since the olden times. Sure having reference is good since we grow as a collective (humans) when we build research over many generations, but they don’t try to improve anything they just assume that this is the right way FFS.

This is why I like Chinese novels like magus of the warlock world
    Or age of adapts. Sure they use the older generation as reframe and understand what it is they need to achieve to reach the next level but they find their own way to do it.

mir, flannan, kenar and 1 other person like this.
  9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    yep that one

10. Hugh Mad

Hugh Mad Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those early jp isekai, such as smartphone, arifureta, and death march. Can't read any of the new updates for more than a couple chapters before I drop it for something else...

11. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Just give up on them like everyone else. Arifureta is shit after volume 1, I didn't even try smartphone before I deemed it shit and I dropped Death March after 1 chap.

mir likes this.
  12. Illisaide

Illisaide ╰(✧∇✧╰) Venti!~

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah.

All harems. Both reverse and not. I am finding a lot of them in my reading list these days that I just don’t want to touch again.

Assassins and/or pill-makers transmigrating into poor bullied misses. I don’t really mind doctors (who don’t have foreknowledge of pill-making) or cooks transmigrating, but assassins or pill masters of any kind? No. It also doesn’t help that most of them seem to have “Murong” as their last names. (What is with that name anyway? Why is it always chosen for the bullied misses?)

Most power-leveling wuxia stories. The worst ones being Against the Gods and I Shall Seal the Heavens. Maybe Tales of Demons and Gods too (this one isn’t actually Wuxia, but it certainly reads like one). I used to enjoy these so SO much! Now? *le sigh*... Surprisingly, I still enjoy Coiling Dragon and Soul Land, but these two are pretty much the only power-leveling ones I enjoy.

School and Academy stories. Sure, there are some extremely well-written ones out there, but they’re mostly just shallow dramas full of misunderstandings - ‘Romantic’ dramas that use “youth” as an excuse for stupid stuff happening. And despite the story settings being in a place of learning, the characters never seem to pay attention in class! Or even learn...anything, really.

Isekai with male MCs. Enough said.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I came here I was already cynical and jaded.

Jojo775 likes this.
  14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    MGA is pretty consitent? Back when I was reading xianxia it was pretty good, I mean the fights are epic... I realised it was more repetitive than the usual xianxia but still read around 600 chaps, or maybe a 1000 tops not sure.
    Same with TDG, no way I'd read another novel like that now, but it's grown on me and it's not that bad, I realise where the hate is coming from but it's mostly whining.

Sabruness likes this.
  15. Illisaide

Illisaide ╰(✧∇✧╰) Venti!~

Reading List:
    Link
    True. Still, I’m one of those whiners and I’m going to keep whining when something like this thread comes up because I still feel hurt and disappointed by it despite having dropped it for almost a year now.

I did truly love it back then - rec’ed it everywhere, uploaded pages to so many manga hosting sites, donated and made fanfics and fanart and cosplay - I’d been reading it since only 4 chapters were translated. So it hurts all the more when my expectations were betrayed. It really is a sore spot for me.

And hopefully, my whining will either attract those who like those type of stories to TDG and warn those who don’t away.

mir and Sabruness like this.
  16. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It bothers me that traditions that are supposed to give supernatural wisdom IRL, grant only power and arrogance in many fantasy stories.

mir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.