[NU audio] fostex D9200 drivers. Tunings, taming. How everything turns wrong.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by xiazixin, May 26, 2021.

1. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    upload_2021-5-27_5-51-39.png
    upload_2021-5-27_5-58-11.png
    upload_2021-5-27_6-3-37.png
    occluded ear simulator
    [​IMG]
    Power Supply Units for occluded ear simulator
    [​IMG]
    Sound Card
    I use my IE80S as monitor headphones.
    [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    upload_2021-5-27_6-22-24.png
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everything in this thread is Paid with my own pockets, Everything is fair.
    First Pair N0.1

upload_2021-5-27_6-38-22.png
    It's a copper casing Variants of a free edge drivers with 300 ohms with a diameter 50mm.
    it's housed wit walnut wood.
    upload_2021-5-27_6-42-16.png
    After listening to the cute little thin, tiny wires. I feel that it lacks something so I change it to Audio listeners favorite OCC copper wires with plated silver.
    upload_2021-5-27_6-45-56.png
    upload_2021-5-27_7-0-20.png
    honesty this sound really bad even after burn in for 300 hours, I have replaced a few head bands, so it feels grade with wearing it.
    I have change Multiple Dac's From AKM4493 to ESS 9028. Changing OPA from Muses 8820 to muses 02 to OPA627. From balanced to single ends.
    Nothing seems to affects the sound.
    Even adding mashes.
    upload_2021-5-27_7-5-55.png
    nope, nothing helps.

When listening to Orchestra, it sounded very crowded, like every instruments are all over the place. kind of like a market place of instruments playing than a Orchestra.
    The bass bleed to almost everywhere. When listening to Bass oriented sounds like "turn down for what" every times the bass hits, my ears are literally bleeding.
    Though sound stage is good.
    upload_2021-5-27_7-16-40.png
    Looks premium ? it literally sound like some 50 to 60 dollar headphones, except harder to drive and having bigger sound stages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Second pair 02
    (failure once isn't a big of a deal) wallets hurts

what about sellers existing solutions. Sellers do provides completed models, to the customers who don't get hands on for DIY and custom made headphones.
    After looking though the reviews and the top selling headphones, I decided on the 53mm driver (instead of 50mm). 24ohm (instead of 300 ohms)
    What can go wrong right?
    Except every thing can go wrong.
    upload_2021-5-27_7-38-13.png
    the sound is indeed less muddy than my fully open backs, only by a tiny bit. It still sound like craps.

tried the same thing, burn in for 300 hours, swiching out multiple amps, dacs, wires.
    I even change the interior wirings to OCC 6n copper, with silver plating's.
    Nothing helps too.

then I ordered an occluded ear simulator, with everything as close to the industry standards as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphs

upload_2021-5-27_7-49-37.png

upload_2021-5-27_7-51-51.png
    you can see the Bass of open back bleed in to your mids, with nothing other than the bass.
    Which is the worst sounding headphones.
    It's just bad.

Sami open backs.
    upload_2021-5-27_7-54-9.png
    you might think that isn't this pretty flat, this isn't bass heavy on like the previous ones.
    But your wrong, this one is as bad. An untrained ears might not pick it up, but this is really horrible, there is no speration between the Lows and the Mids, Every thing just sound mushy and there is no clarity.
    Take an example of an introduction level of headphones.
    upload_2021-5-27_7-58-22.png
    you see there is an obvious drip in the 100hzs to add the separations.
    upload_2021-5-27_8-0-21.png
    after taping the other cover of sami open back headphone to became "close back" the issues resoved a little, as some higher mid get more clarity.

upload_2021-5-27_8-2-14.png
    tapping the internal opening of sami open back to became close back improves this even further.
    upload_2021-5-27_8-4-20.png
    The sound is finally bearable. with further tuning with solid closed back wood casing, adding mashes, papers, and change the internal pressure of the driver will further changing the sound signatures.

Though, It's way cheaper to just buy headphones of a reputable brand.

EDIT----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As for the Open backs.
    upload_2021-5-27_10-7-35.png
    upload_2021-5-27_10-9-8.png
    Enjoy the amazing sound stage...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  2. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dayummm

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    please re-select all your text and change their color to 'none', except for things you want to stress/highlight, which i recommend not too dark/not too light color.

thing is, if you forcibly put your text in black, ppl using dark theme will have a hard time reading your post, and the opposite is also true for white text. just change the theme by clicking on the 'Flat Awesome' (at the bottom-left of this page) to see what i'm talking about.

4. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fixed