Mini-Game NUF Garden Simulator

Discussion in 'Community Games' started by lychee, Apr 2, 2018.

1. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhhh, nice!

I wonder if we can aim to save up to buy a greenhouse for this garden. This way, way it gets to winter, we can keep planting......

Google says it cost $25 per square foot of greenhouse...? So about $1000 per "plot" in this game....

ninish likes this.
  2. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    Radish, fast growing lettuce (can grow in three months), spinach, tomato, pumpkin, zuccini, coriander?

3. Laling

Laling Rest Easy, King

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of radish?

4. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you missed several of the other people who posted ahead of you... I think ninish was the last person to post (see below):

5. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    lychee likes this.
  6. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Since it was plowed today, do I have to wait till tommorow to plant?

7. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    We are using Japan Time (GMT+9), so technically it is Apr-3 now if you want to plant now.

Is that grams?

Which one would you suggest to buy: 1 Oz, 1/4 lb?

How do you find out how many seeds to use per square meter?

8. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I was looking at the price table link and it was:
    • 1 oz = $4 (3 plots)
    • 1/4 lb (4 oz) = $4.80 (14 plots)
    • 1 lb (16 oz) = $6 (56 plots)
    • 5 lb = $27
    ...So to me it makes sense to get the 1 lb, because it just seems to be a better value? I definitely think we would use up 14 plots, so maybe 56 plots might be a better number?

Radish (Sparkler White Tipped)
    • Planting Dates: 4-6 weeks before first frost, until early fall
    • Growth time: 21-28 days
    • Seed Bag Price: $6 per lb (454 g)
    • Seed Consumption: 8 g/plot
    • Crop Yield: 15-20 tons/acre = 35 lbs/plot
    • Wholesale Price: $1.16/lb ($40.60/plot)
    References:

ninish likes this.
  9. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does the kind of soil matter?

10. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Today is Apr-3:
    1. Empty Plot: Plowed (Apr-2)
    2. Turnip: Plowed (Apr-2), Planted (Apr-3)
    3. Empty Plot: Plowed (Apr-2)
    4. Empty Plot: Plowed (Apr-2)
    5. Empty Plot: Plowed (Apr-2)
    6. New Plot: Clearing (0/3 progress)
    Today I planted Plot #2 with 4.5 grams of Turnip (Purple Top) seeds. Now we have 2265.5 grams of seeds remaining.

Note: when you plant seeds, make sure you update the main page of the wiki so it says how many seeds we have left.

For now, no, unless you're willing to do the research and figure it out for us.

I just realized that you were maybe asking whether you can plant on plots that other people plowed -- and the answer is yes.

However, you can also start clearing a new plot if you want.

11. ZeroJAM

ZeroJAM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Today is Apr-3:
    6. New Plot: Clearing (1/3 progress)

Crops
    Weather

Today I cleared Plot #6

Can we include those two links in the copy paste? I don't want to have to go to the main page every time to retrieve it :hmm:

Although the weather link is kind of useless... a forecast would probably be more helpful :blobcheeky:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  12. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    I added a Radish (Sparkler White Tip) crop and bought 1 lb of seeds for $6. Now we have $219 remaining.

I think it would be a good idea to aim to save up for greenhouses... the price would be $1000 per Plot.

Apart from that, someone should research how much it costs to raise chickens... :aww::aww::aww: The chicken coop, feed, and everything...

Sure~

For balance purposes, I changed this section^ in the first post.

Since it takes much less effort to water plants... I decided that each day you decide to take out the watering can, you can use it on up to 3 plots simultaneously.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    ninish likes this.
  13. KingOfMangonia

KingOfMangonia [The Progenitor] [The Mango] [Logic]

Reading List:
    Link
    Today is Apr-3:
    6. New Plot: Clearing (2/3 progress)

Crops
    Weather

Today I cleared Plot #6

I can imagine that at one point we’ll be looking to invest in sprinklers lol

lychee and ninish like this.
  14. ZeroJAM

ZeroJAM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This site seems pretty detailed about poultry farm costing. You could use the UK-specific figures. It's commercial scale though. Spoiler: It's costly :blobfearful:

15. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes those are grams. Uhm, my brain thinks in grams and kilograms so it's hard to say XD also, there's guides for that. We just have to find a guide that tells us how many seeds are used per area for each type of crop, a British guide, and it will tell us the amount we should use.

Long ass explanation:
    Because, those radishes I proposed don't grow to be too big, but their seeds are not that small (tobacco seeds are the size of dots, for reference xD yes, this dot: . , while radishes belong to the mustard's family, and their seeds are similar in shape to mustard, but a bit bigger), which tells us that a lot of seeds can be used per plot.

Meanwhile, a seed that is a bit smaller, like lettuce (about this size: _ maybe xD in short they are thinner and lighter than radish seeds), and taking into account that a lettuce will grow to be a lot bigger than a radish, dictates we'll use even less seeds per plot (I'd say we can fit about 25 lettuces per plot? 30? Even less if we want giant lettuces.) And that will amount to nothing in terms of weight XD. In any case, since this is a pain to calculate *plant per plant*, there's guides.

Let me see if I can find any.

Bingo :3

https://www.willhiteseed.com/PlantingGuide.php

Perhaps we can buy seeds from this guide only for a while, because this looks quite good! I think only the amount of seeds has to be reduced in order to fit the area of our plots, and done.

As for harvesting, guides that tell how much harvest you generally obtain per area of this or that crop exist, too, so to simplify things we should just look that up too. So for each kind of our crops, we could immediately establish that if we plant 1 plot of turnip, we spend x amount of our seeds, and we obtain y amount of harvest, and (after looking up the regular market price) we get z amount of money after selling it all. It'd make the game a lot smoother, I think (though it sounds like a lot of work).

Random things:
    (For asparagus though, buying grown 'roots' is more productive than buying seeds. The seeds can take a looking while before they produce half an asparagus X'D same with strawberries, you usually buy little plants instead of seeds...

And then there's potatoes, where in order to obtain a faster product you use potatoes that are smaller than the regular size as seeds.)

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  16. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    Chickens eat a lot.

Well for chickens, we can grow their feed ourselves and that will be cheaper. If we start with one chicken...

Anyway we should plant wheat and corn (a specific cheaper kind that is used to feed chickens - it's more...rustic? Than the corn we eat) and soy (for protein) to feed it. And grow from there? Like, once we produce more wheat, corn and soy, we could raise two chickens...

On that topic, for things like soy, corn and wheat, (and oat and sunflowers and you get the picture) where what you harvest is the seed itself, we can separate a small amount of the harvest to plant again, and sell the rest; this way we don't have to buy those seeds never again ^_^

17. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was trying to do research on compost and fertilizer and I don't seem to understand it that much at all. T__T

Any help would be very appreciated!

Compost is expensive! Online, I found a bulk price of 1 cubic yard of compost = $50.

The amount of compost required depends on the depth of compost needed. For a vegetable garden, 3-4 inches of compost is recommended at the beginning of the planting season (in temperate climates like UK)... so that's like $25 per plot once a year:
    • 1/8": 0.5 cubic feet per Plot
    • 1/4": 0.9 cubic feet per Plot
    • 1/2": 1.8 cubic feet per Plot
    • 1": 3.6 cubic feet per Plot
    • 2": 7.2 cubic feet per Plot
    • 3": 10.8 cubic feet per Plot
    • 4": 14.3 cubic feet per Plot

Since this is our first year, it's probably okay to assume that the soil is good so we don't need to buy compost now. T___T

It seems like different crops like different kinds of fertilizer... IDK Is it better to apply fertilizer before you plant every time? Or is it okay to just apply once per season or a few times per year or once per year? Does anyone know this stuff?

So expensiveeeeee!!!!

It seems like you know a lot! XD Is it okay if I leave everything to you? Haha

Do you know how to edit on the wiki? If so, it should be fine if you just change the numbers and stuff directly on there. Otherwise, you can tag me and I can change it.

I like the link you found! It seems really useful, and I think we should use it in the future too. It feels a lot more reliable than me trying to google around lol.....

Do you have a table for how much each crop yields?

I've been doing the calculations using acres, and then dividing by 1000 to get "Plots" (since it seems like most commercial farmers report their yields in acres), but idk if there's a better way!

18. KingOfMangonia

KingOfMangonia [The Progenitor] [The Mango] [Logic]

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me about a joke i made about worm casting...i literally spent half an hour teaching somone the benefits of worms

19. ninish

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I'll be able to. (ಥ_ಥ) I mean I should be translating atm... XD

About compost, it can be made.

Since this is a game, let's assume that we won't need compost for at least 6 months, or that we are using a land that used to be a prairie for cows or pigs; this would mean that our land is already fertilized.

Let's start in easy mode until the game is like, 3 months in? Because we need to get used to the basic dynamics of plowing - planting - watering - weeding - watering - weeding - watering - weeding - harvesting - plowing - rinse and repeat. And I'm sure people will want to plant lots of things; just with that we'll have a lot of work.

----

So... Compost. If I remember I'll take a pic of my compost bins tomorrow xD it's night time now.

Anyway, if we give ourselves at least 3 months without the need of compost, we can amass organic materials from our very crops: all weeds go to the compost pile!! Like, every time we weed, we can add a +1 of *idk what* to the compost pile.

Then when we harvest, the turnip leaves, go to the compost pile!! For carrots, the leaves go to the compost pile too :)

So we can set aside 1 plot for making compost. And then we can buy manure instead of compost, and that should be easier. To make compost, 30% of it should be manure. In this manner, you amplify the value of manure. You produce a much higher quality fertilizer.

If we ever get chickens or sheeps cows or ducks or alpacas, we can use their manure; but let's not go there yet.

----

For fertilizing we can also buy worms; (thanks to king of mangonia for reminding me that works exist xD). We feed them the weeds, they give us humus :) maybe we should try this for starting?

http://www.thegreenjump.com/vermicomposting--worm-humus.html

Only a little of humus is added to the soil for each crop; and we can start with the humus tea:
    "The first product we can use for our vermicompost is the worm tea. When you spray or pour the tea on the soil, you are feeding the plant, you increase the number of beneficial microbes in the soil, increase the root growth, help to have a better pH if our soil pH is too acid, and help the germination for you seedlings.
    Every week or 2 weeks, you can harvest the worm tea from the bottom tap of the vermicompost. This worm tea is quite concentrated in nutrients, so we can dilute it (1/10) before to water our veggies or our seedlings."
    Instructions with photos:
    http://www.thegreenjump.com/vermicomposting--worm-humus.html

------

As for the guides, nope, I don't have any. (And if I did they'd be I'm Spanish and kilograms XD) but Google sensei is Google sensei after all. I want to translate tomorrow but I'll see what I find and what else I can help with tomorrow ^_^ and the photo of the compost bin.

----

As for the amount of fertilizer and ph needs of every crop, let's leave that for later, because we are beginners! I only know the basics, I just plant veggies however I want to feed my house XD I've never done it seriously. If you want to be strict about it starting now, we could say that:

1) for as long as we *don't* buy fertilizer, we can have a penalty in our production: we will produce 30% less than what the guides say we should. Let's say we do this for 3 months?
    2) when we buy fertilizer/start using our own compost/humus, let's use a standard amount for all crops. We could now penalize our production in just 10%. (Because while the plants are now receiving more nutrients, these are not adjusted to their exact needs.) Let's say we do this for 3 months too?
    3) at this stage we finally adjust the requirements for each crop. No more penalizing.

---
    Extra level:
    We should also Eventually™ work in rotating crops: each crop consumes specific nutrients from the soil, so planting the same crop (or even cousin type of crops) too many times consecutively in the same area reduces the growth of the crops somewhat. We should try that every plot is used for 1 type of crop for no more than a year (so let's say we use plot 1 for turnips for 2 months, we harvest, we plow, we plant again, rinse and repeat for about 5 more times. Then we'll need to plant something else in plot 1; otherwise we should make a study of the requirements of the soild in plot one to see which elements are needed and then we should buy them if necessary; if they can't be supplemented with compost or manure. So long story short, it's easier and cheaper not to plant any more turnips for at least another year in plot one (and hopefully we shouldn't follow up with another 'root' vegetable; we should follow with peas or the like.)

I'll be murdered in my sleep xD I need sleep, I'll need my brain cells tomorrow~ good night, and happy planting~

AliceShiki and lychee like this.
  20. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh this is good stuff!

Err, since we’ll make this easy mode, I’m going to add $1000 to the starting fund so that way we have enough to buy lumbar and stuff to build a composter or other things that need construction.

Would that be enough?

If someone can find a plan for a wooden 3-bin composting setup, and then find out how much it would cost for the materials to build it, that would be great~

Buying a little extra lumber might not be a bad idea because then we could store it and use it for other things, like maybe a raised gardening bed.